Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Caffeine shampoo

(30 Posts)
kittylester Sun 09-Dec-18 17:38:05

Has anyone tried this to achieve thicker hair?

My hairdresser told me of another couple of clients who have had good results but I'm a bit wary of trying it. My hair is very fine.

sodapop Sun 09-Dec-18 17:42:36

I've just bought some to try so I'll keep you posted kitty

cornergran Sun 09-Dec-18 17:58:23

My GP suggested it after finding no reason my hair was falling out. Haven’t tried it yet. Will do when I can get to buy some

Sparklefizz Sun 09-Dec-18 17:58:46

It did nothing for me. What has helped me has been taking silica, biotin and other B vitamins.

Jane10 Sun 09-Dec-18 18:13:42

Wasn't impressed. Didn't buy it again.

phoenix Sun 09-Dec-18 18:19:54

Sorry, can't help hair, eyebrows (and possibly brain) are thick! Hair grows like a weed, submitting to the grey was so liberating!

Mr P has very thin hair, I have tried to persuade him to try this shampoo, but he insists that that Lidl mint & tea tree shower gel will do body and bonce!

(Assuming that the word "bonce", is understood, must admit I had to explain it to Mr.P!)

KatyK Sun 09-Dec-18 19:17:38

I tried it when I was losing my hair. It didn't work for me but then it may work for some. There was nothing I didn't try - loads of different shampoos, onions (yes really), cider vinegar, cherry juice, (all manner of old wives' tales), vitamins, minerals, scalp lotions, Regaine. All useless in my case. I do believe though, that if you have at least some hair, some shampoos and products can thicken it up.

BlueBelle Sun 09-Dec-18 19:41:31

I have to say I think these are all fads to make money out of people with problems
I m the lucky one with thick fast growing hair but honest when I had less money I used to use washing up liquid figured if it cleaned greasy pots it wouldn’t do any harm ?

Oakleaf Sun 09-Dec-18 19:59:57

In my experience, shampoos make no difference, in fact most make my hair look dull, flat and lifeless.

I find keeping my hair pixie short, having highlights put in and only washing it once a week helps it to look thicker.

FlexibleFriend Sun 09-Dec-18 20:46:24

I have a short spikey haircut as my hair is very fine but there's masses of it. I think it's got thicker since taking Vitamin E for something else entirely. I don't buy shampoo advertised on tv

GrandmaKT Sun 09-Dec-18 20:54:06

Wouldn't use it on principle because I am irritated by the adverts - whisper - women over 40 angry

kittylester Mon 10-Dec-18 07:16:11

Thank you for your replies.

I've never seen the ad, my query was after my hairdresser mentioned it.

Brigidsdaughter Mon 10-Dec-18 12:14:57

My hair has thinned since Hashimotos Thyroiditis came along. Ageing possibly makes it all worse.
I have a Solgar citam for hair nails and skin. However, with taking my Vitamin D combo every day, plus other bits I've slipped a bit.
The vitamins for hair nails and skin is a combination of Vitamin C, Zinc, Copper, MSM (?), Silicon, L-pro-life and L-Lysine. I can't review as I haven't taken it consistently but I just do better

Kateykrunch Mon 10-Dec-18 13:09:42

Hubby uses it and his has worked, its Alpecen or Alpecin.

Kateykrunch Mon 10-Dec-18 13:11:24

Ooooops Kitty, I thought you meant for thinning hair or hair loss, the Alpecin seems to have abated his hair loss!

kittylester Mon 10-Dec-18 15:14:06

I did mean for thinning hair katey, thanks.

Greciangirl Mon 10-Dec-18 15:39:20

Which shampoo are we talking about?
There are several caffeine shampoos around.

The one I tried [cant remember the name), in a green bottle made my hair go really frizzy, so stopped using it.

paddysmum Mon 17-Dec-18 19:13:31

I found it very drying and didn’t help at all. I have also tried every vitamin and mineral supplement going and again, no help for my very thin hair. I have found cutting down on hair washing, a shorter cut, plus occasionally using caster oil as an overnight treatment gives the best results.

petra Mon 17-Dec-18 20:41:40

Kitty
Have you had a blood test recently?
Check your B12 levels. My problem turned out to be pernicious anaemia. Lots of older women think that thinning hair is an 'old age' thing when in fact in many cases it's something medical.

shysal Mon 17-Dec-18 20:59:07

I tried the expensive Plantur 39 in the green bottle but it made my hair frizzy and brittle. My normal thick bushy hair is thinning rapidly due to Methotrexate RA medication. I stopped using Head and Shoulders which I believe it rather harsh and am now using Dove 2in1 which gives a softer feel and slightly fewer hairs in the plughole.

kittylester Sun 23-Dec-18 10:27:56

Thought I'd resurrect this thread as I bought a caffeine shampoo from Tesco that was only about £4. I also bought the conditioner which I use about twice a week. About 4 days in and I'm impressed! I'll report back later!

MissAdventure Sun 23-Dec-18 10:36:17

Yes please, kitty.

travelsafar Sun 23-Dec-18 11:22:20

Try eating walnuts every day only 3or 4 as high in calories. They have improved my skin and hair texture no end.I always use Elvive shampooo and condtioner for thinning hair in the blue container.The day after washing my hair is full of body and bounce, not like me i am afraid!!! wink

annodomini Sun 23-Dec-18 11:52:13

My already fine hair is much thinner on the right side than on the left. I attribute this to always sleeping on my right side but if I managed to change, I wonder if the same would happen on the left. Can't win?

kittylester Sat 29-Dec-18 08:42:52

DH, totally unsolicited, said my hair had much more body lately so I thought I'd big up the shampoo. It cost £4 (ish) from Tesco and there is also a conditioner that I have been using about twice a week.