Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

What would your name be?

(124 Posts)
rizlett Sun 09-Dec-18 19:50:19

Following on from the legal name thread earlier - if your name could be anything you wanted - what would you choose - or do you like the one you have already?

aggie Sun 09-Dec-18 20:00:16

I have had 81 years to get used to it , think I would stick with it !

kittylester Sun 09-Dec-18 20:04:42

I've always hated my name which is a result of my mum being pretentious. I'm 70 in January and actually like it now!

M0nica Sun 09-Dec-18 20:09:14

I am very happy with mine. It is a family name that I share with at least three generations behind me and two after me.

KatyK Sun 09-Dec-18 20:14:25

I like my name now but as a child I wanted something more English. My parents were Irish and gave us all Irish names. How I longed to be a Susan, Linda or Jacqueline. I'm happy with it now.

Jane10 Sun 09-Dec-18 20:16:40

Jane Bell. So much easier to type.

rizlett Sun 09-Dec-18 20:19:42

I'm now the same name as my grandma but my original one was taken from an obituary in the newspaper. Thanks Mum!

If I could choose anything though I'd want to be Tallulah. grin I'd be a whole different kind of person altogether. [or perhaps less together entirely]

Grannybags Sun 09-Dec-18 21:01:56

As a child I hated my name and used to make up different ones when I met someone new. Sometimes I just said my name backwards and pretended I was Russian! Strange child grin

Day6 Sun 09-Dec-18 21:22:08

I dislike my name and surname.

I'd like to be a Fitz something - a Fitzgerald, Fitzpatrick or a Fitzroy, and for a first name I'd choose Eleanor maybe, or Sylvia. Or Harriet. grin

mcem Sun 09-Dec-18 21:37:37

If my DGD marries her boyfriend she'll have one of the loveliest names I've ever heard!
On the other hand I have beseeched DS and Dil not to give their expected baby my name as a middle name or she'd sound like something from a Dolly Parton song!
I'd prefer not to have my alliterative name but still had same initials before marriage!
I really can't think of a name for myself but think my friend Catherine's name would suit.

Flaxseed Sun 09-Dec-18 21:48:14

I don’t like my name. It’s such a typical 60’s name tchhmm
I gave my 1st daughter a biblical name to avoid the same suffering tchgrin
DD2’s name is quite 90’s I suppose but quite traditional too.
I hated my maiden name and despite being divorced for 16 years I never did revert back to it.
I would love to be a Ruth, Sarah, Catherine or Alice

mcem Sun 09-Dec-18 21:52:21

flaxseed my guess would be Linda and Jillian!
My choice for DS's expected baby would be biblical for a girl - Rachel, Rebecca or Leah.
Scottish for a boy - Kenneth, Alistair or James.

SueDonim Sun 09-Dec-18 22:03:43

My name dates me firmly in the 50's. I wish my mum had ignored my dad and named me what she had originally wanted - Sarah. He apparently didn't like that name.

callgirl1 Sun 09-Dec-18 22:23:02

I was named after my father, he was Lewis, I`m Lois. Don`t mind it, but hated my surname, so was glad to change it on marrying.

Melanieeastanglia Sun 09-Dec-18 22:36:47

I like the name Melanie which I use on GN but it's not my real first name.

notnecessarilywiser Sun 09-Dec-18 22:41:44

I've always preferred to use my full name (8 letters) than any of the many abbreviations, but on the day we set aside for personally signing hundreds of client Christmas cards I always yearned to be Jo.

I once made a restaurant reservation giving my surname as Rothschild, in the hope that we'd be treated like VIPs, but that didn't work!

gillybob Sun 09-Dec-18 23:07:44

Jeez knows where I got it from but I always wanted to be Geraldine Glendinning . It sounded so sophisticated (and posh) . The Glendinning was always pronounced with a Scottish accent too. My grandma used to say I pretended to be her and chatted with my imaginary friend (who’s name escapes me tonight) regularly hmm

Jalima1108 Sun 09-Dec-18 23:10:35

callgirl are you Superman's girlfriend?!

I always wanted to be Nicola when I was a child - I have no idea why.
But never Nicky or Nikki.

gillybob Sun 09-Dec-18 23:13:35

Oh just remembered that my imaginary friend was Mrs Kershaw . She wore pearls. smile

Jalima1108 Sun 09-Dec-18 23:18:22

Did she have a first name? Was it terribly posh too?

How old were you? With an imagination like that perhaps you should become an author! grin

SueSocks Sun 09-Dec-18 23:21:17

Like another Sue or Susan who posted earlier, I really do not like my name! Agree it puts us firmly in the 50s. It is not a name you hear these days. When I was at school there were 3 Susans in my class and goodness knows how many in the whole year group.
What would I like to be called, I have always like Elizabeth, don't know why, guess it is a timeless sort of name.
There are quite a few names that were around in the 50s that you don't hear anymore, I was amused that one of my younger ex-colleagues gave her daughter the middle names "Christine Heather" after both grannies, these names made me think that the grannies and myself must be of a similar age & we are.

SueDonim Sun 09-Dec-18 23:42:27

My real name isn't Sue, that's my pseudonym. tchgrin

callgirl1 Sun 09-Dec-18 23:43:21

Sadly not Jalima, I wouldn`t mind flying through the air hanging onto a good looking man!

grannyactivist Sun 09-Dec-18 23:54:39

My first name, which is becoming more popular nowadays due to the resurgence of old fashioned names, has been described as classic, elegant and timeless - so, not like me at all. hmm
I use my middle name because it's short, plain and simple - if I could also include 'overweight' in there it's pretty much a descriptor for who I am. grin

SueSocks Mon 10-Dec-18 00:31:46

SueDonim my apologies, assumed you were called Sue.