Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Friend with cold

(51 Posts)
chelseababy Fri 14-Dec-18 08:40:33

I was due to visit a friend today for lunch. She has just messaged me to say she has a cold and do I still want to go as I won't want to catch it for Christmas. I'm not sure whether this is code for don't come or a genuine question. What do grans think?

Beau Fri 14-Dec-18 08:43:55

Genuine - my friend and I always tell each other in advance as it's unfair to expose someone when you know you are contagious - also it gives me time to take First Defence if I still decide to see her ?

MissAdventure Fri 14-Dec-18 08:44:54

I would take it as genuine.
Its quite common this time of year, and so close to Christmas.
I would do the same as your friend.

EllanVannin Fri 14-Dec-18 09:09:45

Mass shopping gives you a cold at this time of the year anyway so it's not unusual for many to be inflicted in this way as it's going to happen a couple of days later when the bug's in your system.
Maybe your friend feels unwell and doesn't feel able to do any " entertaining ".It depends how well you know your friend really. A phone-call might have indicated it better ? Nasally ?

Karanlouise Fri 14-Dec-18 09:37:38

I think she is being very considerate, I wish more people would do this.

DanniRae Fri 14-Dec-18 09:41:32

I believe her - I would do exactly the same.

MawBroon Fri 14-Dec-18 10:03:07

Genuine I think. She may be saying she doesn’t feel up to it but doesn’t want to appear a wimp or does not want to inflict it on you.
Either way, kindly meant.

Jane10 Fri 14-Dec-18 10:10:45

I agree with the others. Reschedule after Christmas. Something to look forward to after all the festivities? She sounds like a good honest friend.

FlexibleFriend Fri 14-Dec-18 11:01:52

She's your friend so you should know whether she's being genuine or not. I'd assume she's genuine and postpone.

chelseababy Fri 14-Dec-18 14:48:29

I've postponed - that is for your input.

Chewbacca Fri 14-Dec-18 15:34:08

I'd much rather a visitor postponed if they're full of a cold. A good friend will always give you the heads up if they've got some contagious and don't want to pass it on. I'd rather miss a lunch date than gain a heavy cold.

Anja Fri 14-Dec-18 15:47:54

Me too Chewbacca or should that be I also?

lemongrove Fri 14-Dec-18 16:37:33

I would be annoyed to visit and find them coughing and sneezing, it’s bad enough when family pass their germs around without friends doing so as well.So she is being considerate.

Jalima1108 Fri 14-Dec-18 18:13:48

I sat next to someone who was full of cold today so I think your friend is being considerate chelseababy. I hope I don't catch it - we have things arranged for next week, then Christmas.

B9exchange Sat 15-Dec-18 09:14:06

She is a true friend if she worries about spoiling your Christmas, treasure her! smile

vickymeldrew Sat 15-Dec-18 09:17:21

Of course it’s genuine. It still gives you the choice. I wish more people were this helpful.

Coconut Sat 15-Dec-18 09:21:38

I’d been pre booked for babysitting and a sleepover last night as there were Works Xmas parties for some, the ballet in London for the others. So I had 3 boys to look after and had a horrid cold. I just dosed myself up and hope for the best as there were no babysitting alternatives. One boy has just gone off to football and luckily a friends parents collected him so I am spared from the freezing cold football pitch !

Bobdoesit Sat 15-Dec-18 09:26:30

I also wish more people were this helpful. I always ring friends and let them know if I'm unwell and then the decision is theirs.

MawBroon Sat 15-Dec-18 09:26:31

Well of course you could cope with the DGCs with a cold Coconut you probably got it from them in the first place!
We should not be too precious but it is considerate to warn a friend “d’un certain âge” and not risk passing it on to her.

NannyG123 Sat 15-Dec-18 09:40:31

I would warn someone as well, then it there choice.

Blinko Sat 15-Dec-18 10:17:15

Oh yes! I do wish people with colds would stay home and not emerge till they stop coughing and sneezing.

ReadyMeals Sat 15-Dec-18 10:27:57

Well that gives you two reasons not to go 1) You don't want the cold - and believe me if it's the one going around here you DON'T want to catch it. 2) Just in case it's a hint and she's not feeling up to it really.

Grammaretto Sat 15-Dec-18 10:28:29

I have a cold and have been "sent home " by the ladies at our Saturday coffee morning.
I hope I've not passed it on. I seem to have had it for weeks now. Your friend was considerate.

Jalima1108 Sat 15-Dec-18 10:28:40

I've taken my vitamins just in case …..

maddyone Sat 15-Dec-18 10:29:58

I think she is being very considerate chelseababy, she obviously has a significant cold rather than just a little sniffle, and she’s thinking of you and that you may possibly catch it and be under the weather over Christmas. I would thank her for letting me know, and make a new arrangement to meet for after Christmas.