Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Getting to know all of you!

(33 Posts)
Urmstongran Thu 20-Dec-18 16:45:52

I’ve not been on GN as long as some here. I do recall MawBroon saying recently the topics aren’t as interesting as they used to be. Maybe some of the political atmosphere has fed into it?
Anyway, I’m curious how you all say ‘hello’ to one another in some posts - the ‘good morning ‘ one comes to mind.
Have some of you met up occasionally?
There are certain posters I’m getting to ‘know’ a little:
MissAdventure I love your sense of humour! Short posts which hit the nail on the head!
Mawbroon you lost Paw just over a year ago. My condolences.
GabriellaG with a number I cannot straight away recall - ‘posh’ (sorry I mean this as a term of endearment!) likes horse racing, rides out herself, retired lawyer.
Anniebach - Welsh. Recently lost a much loved daughter. Again, my condolences.
Marydoll - Scottish & full of common sense!
Etc. You get my drift.
I have wondered whether to get an A-Z ledger and write your names in with snippets of information on you so I can reference as an aide memoir.
Maybe I’m just overthinking it! What are your thoughts?

Urmstongran Thu 20-Dec-18 16:50:40

Ooh, & gillybob. Hates work in ‘that place’ even as the owner of the business! Speaks her mind. Seems lovely and I always enjoy reading her messages.
But not posted for a while.... Trust all is well?

lemongrove Thu 20-Dec-18 16:52:32

That you’re overthinking it.grin
Just pop in and out of GN with your thoughts, nobody can remember many things about another poster, and there is no need.

Dontaskme Thu 20-Dec-18 17:04:40

This worries me tbh. Bit stalkerish

EllanVannin Thu 20-Dec-18 17:06:59

You'll soon get to know the tone/style of the posts/posters Urmstongran-----as you have already with a few.

I'm wondering about gillybob as well and hoping she's okay.

Jalima1108 Thu 20-Dec-18 17:40:18

I too think you're overthinking it!

oldbatty Thu 20-Dec-18 17:53:17

There are several Gabriellas with or without a number.

grannyactivist Thu 20-Dec-18 18:10:20

Doesn't seem a stalkerish idea to me - just pragmatic and possibly very helpful. I wish I'd done something like that years ago Urmstongran - my memory just can't keep up; some of the earlier posters have had name changes and I can't remember who is who any more. I have met some of the Grans in real life and enjoyed doing so and there are a few that I've never met, but I feel they are friends. I suspect that we're all a bit like the curate's egg - good in parts! tchsmile

Gonegirl Thu 20-Dec-18 18:24:17

Do me, do me!

mcem Thu 20-Dec-18 18:29:41

I'd suggest you don't keep notes.
A few years ago we had a poster who did just that and frequently quoted from earlier posts, made references to families and work situations, pointed out apparent contradictions.
I believe you've no ill intentions but that poster became very unpleasant (and unpopular) and eventually left, leaving the rest of us sighing with relief!

Anja Thu 20-Dec-18 18:29:42

Does that come under data protection?

Gonegirl Thu 20-Dec-18 18:30:55

Oh! Come on! She's just being friendly. hmm

Elrel Thu 20-Dec-18 18:38:52

gillybob has been on a couple of threads today or yesterday

mcem Thu 20-Dec-18 18:52:38

Yes "gonegirl" in words of one syllable (oops!) I said I think op is just fine but some of us know that a gran went a bit wrong a few years back and it was not nice! Ok?

paddyann Thu 20-Dec-18 19:14:04

Gilly's probably run ragged in the pre Christmas days ,business home GC ,nativity plays wrapping etctec etc.Hope she has a fantastic Christmas and a great 2019 .From another run ragged gran x

mcem Thu 20-Dec-18 19:19:53

You're right paddy she deserves a relaxing time (that's if she remembers how to relax).

Gonegirl Thu 20-Dec-18 19:28:37

Would be a shame if we let one past event sour our responses now.

mcem Why do you think I need to be spoken to in words of one syllable? Just curious. smile

PamelaJ1 Thu 20-Dec-18 19:44:15

I can't even remember the names of those who have made nasty comments about my comments.
Life is too short.
However I DO remember those that have been particularly nice and helpful.

MiniMoon Thu 20-Dec-18 20:10:08

I just pop in and out, here and there, and try not to be too controversial. I only comment on things I know about or feel strongly about.
I was overwhelmed by the kindness here when I had a mammogram recall a couple of years ago.

kittylester Thu 20-Dec-18 20:21:27

In answer to your question, there are occasional meetups in different areas and some of us do, therefore, know each other but it's more about seeing names that one recognises. Meetups are usually mentioned on the threads.

Where are you?

grannyactivist Thu 20-Dec-18 20:30:18

Oh no, no no! tchshock mcem has just reminded me of a horrible experience with said poster who is no longer around (Phew!). I do NOT mean that people should be remembering who said what, quoting from previous posts and interfering in real life situations (makes me shivery just to think of that awful time).

janeainsworth Thu 20-Dec-18 20:31:54

kitty I think the clue’s in urmstongran’s name.
Urmston is a district of Manchester ?
I’m only slightly miffed that she didn’t include me in the list of Gransnetters she felt she was getting to know.
Hello, urmstongran?<waves>

MissAdventure Thu 20-Dec-18 20:37:05

blush
Thanks urmston.
I just almost asked where you're from..

ffinnochio Thu 20-Dec-18 20:44:52

...and what about you, Urmstongran ? What snippets of
information do you care to share about about yourself as an aide memoir? hmm

Two way street and all that...

Not that I mind particularly what you do/do not remember about me, but I find even the idea of an A -Z ledger rather odd. Perhaps that comment was in jest?

Yes, I really do think you’re overthinking!

Jalima1108 Thu 20-Dec-18 21:47:03

Right - pen and notebook at the ready!

Urmstongran - lives in Urmston, fairly new to Gransnet, meticulous?
lemongrove - age 90, power walks and does consultancy work for MI6
Don'taskme - oh, OK, I won't!

etc

hmm I just take posts and posters as I find them really