Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Choir - some info please........

(58 Posts)
Luckygirl Mon 31-Dec-18 20:22:30

I have always sung in choirs and also run choirs all my adult life. Anyone can sing - honestly!

You are only likely to get a croaky throat if you are doing "shouty" singing or are in the wrong voice part. I love hearing rock choirs - and everyone is having a ball - but the style used, which involves closing the throat rather than opening it, does tend towards a croaky throat for some people.

Don't give up - there are so many community choirs now that there is bound to be one that suits you - just make sure that you are not trying to sing either too high or too low for your voice range.

You could google the natural voice network - they might have some ideas in your area.

hillwalker70 Mon 31-Dec-18 20:10:04

Vocalzone are good if you do get a sore throat, only lozenge recommended for singers, sometimes you have to ask at the chemist, they keep them underneath the counter.

hillwalker70 Mon 31-Dec-18 20:07:13

I sing with a group of friends, as Grannyknot said, make sure you are in the right section, I sing Alto or Tenor, we do physical and musical warm up and start with rounds and short pieces. I notice if I miss a week my throat muscles really ache so it is getting used to singing. A lot of us always wear scarves to keep our throats warm.

ninathenana Mon 31-Dec-18 19:39:31

If only I could sing in tune sad

Sparklefizz Mon 31-Dec-18 18:54:35

I sing with a Rock Choir too and the singing has really improved my lung capacity. I have asthma and the asthma nurse asked me what I had done to improve my breathing ... it can only be the singing (plus it's great fun!)

goldengirl Mon 31-Dec-18 18:39:14

I'm a Rock Choir member too! It's great fun; no pressure and gets me out of the house - and moving as we also do moves with the songs which is very good for coordination!!!

Grannyknot Mon 31-Dec-18 18:15:23

I sing happily with the Rock Choir in my local area. I get so much out of it.

Did you maybe try and force your voice? Or did you perhaps sing in the wrong section? I sing in High Alto but tried Lower Soprano once or twice and it hurt my throat. What about buying some special lozenges (can't remember the name now but my chemist has them) such as actors and singers use?

I think you should persevere beyond a few weeks, I'm amazed at how much my voice has improved over a year of singing... good luck!

Kateykrunch Mon 31-Dec-18 18:09:56

Just wondering if any of you lovely people who sing in a choir can answer this query for me. I would really like to join a Choir and there are several local to pick from. I did have a try a few years ago, but ended up with a proper croaky throat and even a sore throat. (They did do voice warm up exercises). Singing is supposed to be good for the lungs and beneficial for well-being, if I persevered for more than a few weeks this time, might this throat problem not happen? Thanks x