Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Curl up somewhere pleasant?????

(40 Posts)
Namsnanny Fri 18-Jan-19 14:41:20

Any ideas?

Brexit, Family, me in the doldrums!!

I would just like to leave it all behind for a couple of days (or more).

So where have you spent your most relaxing time.....and would you recommend it?

Castle or glamping, uk or the moon any suggestions welcome!!!

M0nica Fri 18-Jan-19 14:49:49

At this time of year? A really nice country hotel in an old house with large lounges, open fires, comfortable chairs and a really good chef.

DoraMarr Fri 18-Jan-19 15:06:54

My own sofa. A good book, some music and a cup of tea and a chocolate digestive.
But if you want to get away, a country pub with rooms. And nice food.

KatyK Fri 18-Jan-19 15:22:38

A holiday park I the Lake District on the edge of Windermere was very relaxing last year.smile

Katyj Fri 18-Jan-19 15:57:13

Oh namsnanny, this right up my street ! I'm spending my days dreaming of escaping, don't know where yet, at the moment it's on my sofa, looking through trip advisor at expensive hotels, just don't know how I'd feel when I got there as it would still be cold outside.Think I need some sun.

Nonnie Fri 18-Jan-19 16:01:05

Anywhere hot and sunny with no UK news.

Nonnie Fri 18-Jan-19 16:02:37

Oh it must have mobile telephone connection and Internet restricted to family only!

Katyj Fri 18-Jan-19 16:09:10

Have you thought about a warner hotel.The country houses are lovely.They have entertainment on if you wanted to join in, or not, as the mood takes you. The food is good too.

Cherrytree59 Fri 18-Jan-19 16:31:10

In either warm or cold weather I find water, sea river lake or quite calming.

Maybe in your case Namsnanny no phones internet and newspapers would be beneficial.

Unfortunately hot sunny getaways at the moment would only compound my anxious state re family problems etc.

After a disconcerting day I came home and did just what Doramarr coincidently suggested, I curled up in front of the fire with a cuppa, a packet of chocolate digestives and gransnet.
Now there are only a few crumbs are leftblush.

I find my vase of daffodils and pots of hyacinth cheering. daffodil

Kittye Fri 18-Jan-19 16:50:38

North Norfolk. I’d love to live there but all my family are nearby and I’d miss them so much

humptydumpty Fri 18-Jan-19 16:52:17

Center parcs is great for relaxing.

Peep Fri 18-Jan-19 16:53:10

Ragdale Hall! Most relaxed I’ve ever felt.

sodapop Fri 18-Jan-19 16:59:50

Home for me too, on the sofa in front of the fire. Dogs all sleeping nearby and I have some plain chocolate covered ginger biscuits and a new book.

Grannynise Fri 18-Jan-19 17:09:04

Another vote for Ragdale Hall

Buffybee Fri 18-Jan-19 17:25:24

I thought the same Namsnanny, so I've booked a last minute holiday to Gran Caneria, on my own. I go away a lot with friends and travel quite a bit visiting friends abroad over the year but its not warm enough in Spain or Malta at the moment.
I got a very cheap flight and booked a comfortable apartment through Home Away, with English television and Internet connection.
I've spoken to the British owner and she was very nice and told me make myself at home and recommended places to eat and to use the Barbeque if I wanted to do.
I shall lounge under an umbrella on the beach or near the pool, reading during the day and watch tv in the evening.
Eat out at lunchtime and shop in the Supermarket for my evening meal.
I really can't wait!

eazybee Fri 18-Jan-19 17:40:36

Find a country style- hotel in a city, such as York, Edinburgh, Chichester, Worcester, where you will have comfortable accommodation, good food and sofas by fires,but also interesting shops (if you are quick), museums, galleries, a theatre, rivers and ancient buildings, all within walking distance.

Jalima1108 Fri 18-Jan-19 17:47:46

Somewhere with a warm conservatory overlooking the sea,
lots of good books and a charming waiter/waitress would suit me just fine smile
If I could borrow a small dog to take for a little walk that would be a bonus.

PECS Fri 18-Jan-19 17:54:19

katyj the adverts for Warner hotels has always put me of! Everyone looks too clean and smart and a bit like models in a Cotton Traders catalogue
Are they really just ordinary hotels without young people?

Jalima1108 Fri 18-Jan-19 17:55:38

No dogs then?
Ah well and I don't think they're by the sea either.

lemongrove Fri 18-Jan-19 18:00:10

Good for you Buffy enjoy your holiday ( you will clean the
Loos at The Argy before you go I hope?) grin
I would also choose a nice country house hotel, there are plenty to choose from.

Katyj Fri 18-Jan-19 18:03:22

Ha PECS I know what you mean with the adverts they are OTT. They are just nice hotels, the county houses are lovely, we went to the one in Somerset, can't remember what it's called, but the accommodation and food were lovely.Most of the people were couples over 65 .

PECS Fri 18-Jan-19 18:31:47

Well I won't dismiss them totally katyk?

Bikerhiker Fri 18-Jan-19 20:03:17

Portmierion every time. Sooo relaxing!

Jalima1108 Fri 18-Jan-19 20:23:49

Ooh, nice, yes, we had a weekend there years ago. A lovely apartment, quirky buildings and the estuary close by.

Jalima1108 Fri 18-Jan-19 20:25:03

you will clean the Loos at The Argy before you go I hope?
what a cheek!
Off you go Buffy and leave them to it.