Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

What shall I get for my pregnant DIL?

(35 Posts)
bakeandscoff Thu 31-Jan-19 14:08:17

I've already bought a few bits for the baby - he's arriving in about a 8 weeks. But I wanted to get something just for her. Thinking maybe some nice bath oils? Any suggestions for good products? Someone recommended Neal's Yard? Anything else?

Marydoll Thu 31-Jan-19 14:25:32

What a lovely MIL you are. smile I made up a pampering kit for my DIL when she was pregnant: foot soak, eye mask etc. However, I was a bit wary in case some items weren't suitable for pregnat ladies..
I've seen this and have used this company before, without any problems.

www.lookfantastic.com/sanctuary-spa-mum-to-be-pamper-jar/11794080.html?

Also, if you do a search for voucher codes for this company, you may manage a discount.

bakeandscoff Thu 31-Jan-19 14:39:48

Oh, that looks good, thank you Marydoll. And much more reasonable than Neals yard.
Yes, I was worried about certain things not being suitable for her while she's pregnant - and she has followed all the advice to the letter! I know it's advised for new mums not to use heavily scented products too. Never used that site before. Might have a browse for myself too... grin

Madgran77 Thu 31-Jan-19 14:45:34

Many spas do a mum to be pamper offer - one treatment or spa day/half day maybe?

Jalima1108 Thu 31-Jan-19 14:46:53

How lovely - is this for afterwards?

I also put a 'New Mum' mug in with a few other bits and pieces, possibly bought in M&S and bought a New Dad one for DS.

Bibbity Thu 31-Jan-19 14:49:56

How fly anything you get her will probably be very greatly appreciated.

I don’t want to sound ungrateful but I was a bit tired of the constant stream of baby vests and outfits.

I’d just done something pretty substantial. So when someone walked in with a bunch of flowers and small box of maltessers I burst out crying in gratitude. It was nice to just be remembered.

Juggernaut Thu 31-Jan-19 15:13:55

I gave my DDiL a voucher for a Spa day at a lovely hotel, with afternoon tea for her and DS. The voucher was valid for six months after DGS's due date. I included a home made gift token, stating that I would baby sit on whichever day they chose!
We had also given her a course of reflexology appointments, for before the babe was born, but you might be cutting that a bit fine now time wise! She did say the reflexology was the most relaxing thing she'd ever experienced though!
Our DDiL found her hands got very dry, so perhaps a lovely fragranced hand cream as a little treat!

muffinthemoo Thu 31-Jan-19 15:26:42

I have always appreciated food, by which I obviously mean chocolate.

Face masks/hair masks are good, you just fall to bits afterwards.

If you know her shoe size, a nice and very comfy set of slippers wouldn't go amiss!

BBbevan Thu 31-Jan-19 16:06:43

Something really special. My DiL loved the Moroccan Rose oil we gave her . I think it was Ren . Just something indulgent just for her. And don't forget your DS, he needs something special also.

Anja Thu 31-Jan-19 16:31:50

I have always appreciated food, by which I obviously mean chocolate

???

Newmom101 Thu 31-Jan-19 18:22:40

I would avoid bath oils, just because if she has to have stitches you're advised not to use them. They can irritate the wound and affect the healing process.

I would go with some comfy new pyjamas, or a nice dressing gown. I spent a lot of time in the first few weeks in my pyjamas and dressing gown. My MiL got me some nice chocolates which I really appreciated. And my siblings bought me a pram charm for my bracelet which was really nice. My friends took me for a meal beforehand and gave me some money and a book of messages about parenthood they had all written, with photos of us in, which was lovely. DPs friends bought me gin ?

I really appreciated getting things for me, I didn't expect it at all as I didn't have a baby shower. It was really nice to get them when you're feeling quite fragile after birth and the lack of sleep.

GrannyGravy13 Thu 31-Jan-19 19:04:21

bakeandscoff you sound like a really caring mother-in-law. I am sure your daughter-in-law will thoroughly appreciate your kindness.
Sometimes just running the vacuum cleaner over or putting a wash on can be the best gift ever. Cooking a meal so they can spend time on the sofa with their new family member, it’s the little things that she will appreciate, like you being there for her ??

agnurse Thu 31-Jan-19 22:18:21

Definitely agree with the comfy PJs and slippers. Maybe a nice robe if she doesn't have one. What about something such as dry shampoo and leave-in conditioner? Inevitably she probably won't have tons of time to shower. These products can help her to feel clean even if she can't get time for a full water cleanse.

PECS Thu 31-Jan-19 22:35:55

Neale's Yard products are lovely!
Popular here for new mum's are vouchers for a shop called Cook which does more upmarket ready prepared meals. But something purely for her is good. I bought my DDs a voucher for a local beauty place so , when the were ready, they could choose a manicure, hair do or facial etc. whilst I had the baby for an hour!

PECS Thu 31-Jan-19 22:44:02

Another 'practical' gift which I know some new mums appreciated was a weekly cleaner for the first 6 weeks! You would have to be sure that was something she would want!

Bibbity Thu 31-Jan-19 22:46:26

PECS if someone did that I would kiss her feet for the rest of my life.

That’s a brilliant idea.

PECS Thu 31-Jan-19 23:00:23

I know my DDs well Bibbity wink

Joelise Thu 31-Jan-19 23:05:27

The White Company do the most gorgeous body lotion, shower gel, scented candles and diffusers , the white lavender and the grapefruit ones are lovely. I agree about pj’s and a robe , they would be great.

Bikerhiker Fri 01-Feb-19 01:25:16

I like the idea of a cleaner.
M&S meals for the freezer
Hair do voucher
Promise to cook and deliver couple of meals in first weeks

Humbertbear Fri 01-Feb-19 09:03:18

Some websites do special hampers with toiletries for new or expectant mums which include creams for stretch marks etc. I remember buying a hamper for my DIL many years ago.

Cp43 Fri 01-Feb-19 10:50:53

If you want something very special Bamford do a lovely range of baby oils and outfits etc. Get them from their website or Bamford shop or at Daylesford Organic. Not cheapest but lovely and impressive.

Loulelady Fri 01-Feb-19 11:49:26

Some lovely ideas here!
I’ve bought upmarket handcreams from Space NK before. You’re always washing your hands and they get dry.
Yes to a nice dressing gown from somewhere like Toast, with pockets and made from 100% natural fibres, I was hotter and sweatier than normal when nursing so synthetic fabrics were uncomfortable and you are always short of hands so pockets are a boon.
Another good one is a highly rated thermal mug with a very secure lid and small closable drinking spout/hole. Hot drinks are dangerous around babies and toddlers and I remember the endless cold cups of tea from that time.
Personally I’d avoid vouchers for anything that involves her leaving the baby, such as dinner for two or spas. However well intentioned, she may not want to spend hours apart from her baby for many months, particularly if breast feeding, so the kind gift could end up feeling more like a pressure than a treat. I’ve also read new mothers moaning that grannies desperate for “alone time” with their small, baby grandchildren, have resorted to giving such things for their daughter/ DIL’s birthday or wedding anniversary after having been told that she isn’t ready to leave her baby yet, in the hope of strong arming or guilting them into leaving their babies with them and going out! I wouldn’t want to risk being lumped in with that lot.
Personally, anyone who had turned up bearing nice chocolates for me post-parturition would have been greeted like the Messiah.

Loulelady Fri 01-Feb-19 11:51:48

Blimey! My phone went for post-parturition all by itself, I was aiming for post-partum. It’s clearly a very erudite iPhone.

Loulelady Fri 01-Feb-19 11:54:10

PECS, my MIL is no longer with us sadly, so could I adopt you as mine? No chance of me producing babies these day but I’ll still take the cleaner.

grannyactivist Fri 01-Feb-19 12:54:20

This gift set is what I bought for both my daughter and my daughter-in-law when they were pregnant - along with some Lindt chocolates for one and Hotel Chocolat for the other (I know their favourites).