Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Vacuum cleaners - corded or cordless?

(108 Posts)
kittylester Wed 13-Feb-19 07:43:00

Advice please!

Our current Dyson is on its last legs so I am going to replace it. My dilemma is - do I choose a corded one or a cordless? And what make?

Our house is quite big with carpeted floors apart from the bathrooms and kitchen. We have 2 staircases.

I really fancy a cordless but we have 3 cats so need a powerful vacuum. The longest run time I can find seems to be 40 minutes which would not be long enough to do the whole house.

But, corded ones are so heavy for carting up and down stairs.

Has anyone got any recommendations?

Please ignore the fact that we've just had a plug put under the stairs for a rechargeable one. blush

olive2709 Thu 14-Feb-19 16:46:59

We have a GTec air ram K9 ,no pets mix of laminate and carpets plus hand held for stairs and hard to reach places. So glad we went cordless I certainly use them more the corded as no unwinding.

MaizieD Thu 14-Feb-19 16:33:54

I bought a GTech Air Ram & Multi couple of months ago. Have had Dysons for years but no more. The last one refuses to fit back together properly when I use the tube and it's quite heavy to lug around.

I'm amazed at how much dirt the GTech picks up even though it doesn't seem particularly powerful. It's lovely and light and invites me to vacuum more often than I ever used to grin The little Multi is very efficient, too.

Only disappointment was that it's made in China. I should have investigated further before I bought it. I'd have preferred a British made one.

Spring Thu 14-Feb-19 16:17:19

Shark which IS corded, but it's very long. You def get a better performance with a corded.
It's lightweight easy to operate.
I have a corded upright which is so heavy and equal in performance.

I have also tried a dyson cordless. Less than 40 min run time and not as good performance as the corded.

Ohmother Thu 14-Feb-19 16:16:35

I raved about the GTec K9 cordless and bought my daughters one each I loved it so much! Sadly the battery didn’t last long enough for the price. It wasn’t worth the hundreds. I now have a Shark corded lift-away. Much more versatile.

pce612 Thu 14-Feb-19 15:10:17

I had Dysons for years but recently replaced them with a corded Shark Liftaway with Truepet accessory and also a Shark cordless.
Best vacuums available, I would never go back to a Dyson, heavy, minute bins; build quality less than ideal.

The corded Shark machine is lightweight andhas a good sized bin. Ideal for carpeted areas. The truepet is fantastic for stairs, upholstery etc. We have a Newfoundland who is always shedding, no problem at all. Build quality is excellent and all bits are replaceable. Lots of very useful optional accessories, too.

I use the cordless for quick cleaning in the kitchen and vacuuming the car - no garage so am not happy with cables on extension leads trailing out of the house.

Have a look at their website, they are having a sale at the moment.

kackie Thu 14-Feb-19 14:45:46

I have a hoover upstairs and one downstairs, so no lifting and carrying. Problem solved.

Jalima1108 Thu 14-Feb-19 14:35:03

the cordless one is good for doing stairs.

Happysexagenarian Thu 14-Feb-19 14:31:39

Corded for me every time, they just seem to be more powerful. I have a Miele, it's the best cleaner I've ever had.

Could you perhaps run to two cleaners, one upstairs and one down?

Jalima1108 Thu 14-Feb-19 14:28:02

One of each kitty

Sorry if that isn't helpful.
I have a cordless one which is great for zipping round downstairs, some hard floors, some carpeted and it just about makes it without running out of steam.

However, for a really thorough, furniture moving vacuum I use an upright which is normally kept upstairs and which I use mainly up there.

Sheilasue Thu 14-Feb-19 14:25:19

Cordless I have a dyson, so much easier to vacuum with.

EmilyHarburn Thu 14-Feb-19 14:11:52

When I bought a cordless G TTeck I bought an extra rechargible battery and filters so I can keep running if necessary. and i do not normally want to do more than 40 mins vacuum cleaning in one stretch.

Curlywhirly Thu 14-Feb-19 14:01:23

Have had 3 Dysons (corded) over the years. When my latest one stopped working thought I would try something different. Am I glad I did! Bought a Shark Liftaway (which is corded); it is miles better than any of my Dysons, really light to use (it seems to hover and move on its own when hoovering carpet!). It has amazing suction. Wouldn't dream of buying a Dyson again - I sometimes clean my son's house and he has a Dyson, it seems so heavy compared to my Shark.

MooM00 Thu 14-Feb-19 13:48:37

I'm with Gipsey Queen13 I had a Dyson wouldn't touch another one, overrated, didn't last a year. Miele is the best I have had mine for 10 years it's fantastic. Have you ever been in a repair shop they are full of Dysons waiting to be repaired ????????????.

Gma29 Thu 14-Feb-19 13:37:07

Cordless. I bought a Dyson recently and it’s fantastic. It’s so much quicker too, as you don’t have to manoeuvre around the flex, the plug etc. The only thing you may find with pets, is that you need to empty the bin as you go round.

goldengirl Thu 14-Feb-19 13:22:13

I've got a cordless Dyson and wonder how I ever managed before!!! It's easy to lift, has various gadgets and sucks up cat hair we never knew was there. The last time I had a corded vacuum cleaner I fell down the stairs!!!!

ecci53 Thu 14-Feb-19 12:55:12

We inherited a GTech air ram, which is cordless and it is brilliant. We have 2 samoyeds and when they blow their coats we have vast amounts of hair everywhere. The GTech copes easily with this. We've tried Dysons in the past and they were rubbish, couldn't cope with all the dog hair. The only downside to the GTech is that the dust holder is quite small and has to be emptied frequently but it is very easy to empty. Best vacuum cleaner we've ever had.

Peardrop50 Thu 14-Feb-19 12:33:45

GTech AirRAM for me. Had it for two years and love it. We use it daily on wooden ground floors in hall, sitting room and kitchen where the dog (Labrador, the biggest moulter) roams freely and as and when in dining and craft room where she doesn't, charge at the end of the day. We vacuum the five carpeted bedrooms, two bathrooms and ensuite upstairs once a week, or thereabouts, on one charge, no dog upstairs. Use the hand held for two flights of stairs, cushions and sofas weekly on one charge.
It is also very light and I carry it up and down stairs with one hand.
Hope you find the one that suits you.

Beau Thu 14-Feb-19 12:30:27

Craftycat - they say the White House uses Sebo but I didn't know it was Buckingham Palace too ☺️

Lindylou23 Thu 14-Feb-19 12:20:59

I have a cordless, but went over carpets with corded and pickeda lot more up

AlfiesGM Thu 14-Feb-19 12:13:12

We bought a shark lift away. The top comes off for doing the stairs and I don’t have a problem with it st all despite being disabled. Also it’s a fantastic cleaner!
Before that we had a Morphy Richards cordless . Not in the same league at all, the dust container fills up very quickly.

dragonfly46 Thu 14-Feb-19 12:11:22

I had a Dyson years ago and loathed it. It was forever getting blocked with carpet fluff. If I bumped into things with it plastic bits broke and flew off!!
I replaced it with a Sebo which is wonderful.
When I was in Holland I had a Miele which was also fantastic.
My DD has a Shark and loves it.
I would recommend one of each - one upstairs and one down.

jools1903 Thu 14-Feb-19 11:52:47

I’d go for a corded Shark!! The cords are a great length and you aren’t reliant on battery time. I find my Shark to be far superior at vacuuming well than my previous Dyson which, in comparison, was absolutely rubbish!

Chino Thu 14-Feb-19 11:50:41

I recently purchased a Dyson V6 cordless vacuum and love it - although I have a large Miele vacuum I rarely use it now as I much prefer the cordless one, so easy to use

grandtanteJE65 Thu 14-Feb-19 11:30:21

Never tried a cordless vacuum but it sounds a marvellous idea. I would recommend one that doesn't use bags, as the saving is enormous.

Perhaps Kittylester, you could either do your vacuuming in two batches, upstairs one day, downstairs another, to suit the time that cordless' battery is charged for, or have two vacuums, one upstairs and one downstairs.

You must be fitter than me if you are happily contemplating over 40 minutes hovering in one fell swoop! Attagirl!

Foxyferret Thu 14-Feb-19 11:29:29

I have a Miele cat and dog corded, it’s the best hoover I have ever had.