Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Open Front Door?

(49 Posts)
Granny23 Thu 21-Feb-19 15:07:21

Well I've got the paint - EXTERIOR gloss Black - and new door furniture, etc. Just waiting for a mild dry day. BUT - for once I have read the blurb on the tin and it says that if painting a door, the door MUST be left open for 24 hours, otherwise it will stick!!

Our front door opens onto two steps, a metre long path and than a major trunk road. Also DH has advanced Dementia and wanders about, often half undressed, in the night. I have racked my brains but cannot come up with a plan.

Over to you clever Gransnatters. confused

HildaW Thu 21-Feb-19 15:10:27

Put him on a lead....no sorry that was naughty. Have no solution to the paint problem as yet but just wanted to say how amazingly level headed you sound. Must be a real strain on you for coping and I do admire you for that. All the best and hope someone comes up with something constructive. Good Luck.

HildaW Thu 21-Feb-19 15:14:19

I suppose at a push you could paint the flat surface of the door but leave the edges...that close into the frame....and complete those in a different water based paint that does not take so long to dry. If anyone is rude enough to notice a slight difference then that's their problem!

BlueBelle Thu 21-Feb-19 15:17:45

Yes I d do exactly as Hilda says leave the shutting bit and donit after wards in a quick dying paint as it’s black you shouldn’t have any problem matching it

PECS Thu 21-Feb-19 15:19:15

Can you borrow a baby gate and add a wind chime or bells? Might stop wondering or at least alert you to someone attempting to enter or leave?

Or paint at night and sit by the door all day?

How bizarre 24 hours!

I would not paint the edges of the door & find a different type of paint for that area? Or take the paint back and exchange for a quick dry type.

sodapop Thu 21-Feb-19 15:22:18

As its only 24 hours could you not have a waking carer for that night. Alternatively would it be possible for your husband to stay with a family member for 24 hours. Even small things are difficult when you are caring for someone with dementia, I feel for you Granny23

MissAdventure Thu 21-Feb-19 15:29:00

How about some sort of rigid wire... to hold it so that its ajar, but not stretchy enough to allow the door to be pushed any further open?

BlueBelle Thu 21-Feb-19 15:29:01

But even if her husbands catered for she can’t leave her front door open for 24 hours unless of course she’s got it on a chain

M0nica Thu 21-Feb-19 16:29:56

How about a door chain? The ones you can install so that they open enough for you to talk to someone on the doorstop, but they cannot force themselves in as the space is too small.

You could set the chain, wedge the door so it doesn't close of its own volition - safety and a perfect door repaint.

allsortsofbags Thu 21-Feb-19 16:36:59

I think the 2 types of paint idea is a good way to go. Paint the main part of the door with what you have and the edges with a quick drying paint. as others have said.

Your post has made me think that I need to read the instructions when we get round to painting our front door later this year so thank you for putting this question on GN.

Coolgran65 Thu 21-Feb-19 16:42:04

Even painting the edges with a quick drying paint wouldn't work. The flat surface of the door would still close against the frame and will leave a mark about 1" in the whole way around the flat surface.

I'd suggest nearly closing it until the inner edge of the flat surface almost touches the door frame and then secure it there. Need something on each side of the door so.... perhaps a wire coat hanger at ground level between the door surround and the flat surfact of the door. On the other side i.e. indoors you could use a couple of bricks or a few heavy books.

So that't the door secured open to allow it to dry

Oh, just had a thought. Take the door off the hinges and paint it. In its place set a piece of suitable board/plywood in the door opening and prop a piece of furniture against it to hold it in place.

Now we need to bring in a third party if possible. Someone who would/could spend the night on a camp bed/armchair/air bed in the inside hallway and block the doorway

A willing grandson who is old enough and who'd be happy to do it (front door security) and possibly earn a bit of pocket money.

Or a son-in-law/son who'd understand that the door needs security and after all it's only for one night and will help make a decent job of the painting effort.

Luckygirl Thu 21-Feb-19 16:44:14

Have you got a chain latch? - you could leave that on.

Coolgran65 Thu 21-Feb-19 17:09:20

Luckygirl The door needs to be open enough that the painted side where the hinges are does not touch the door frame. A chain latch might be too short to allow the door to be open enough.

bikergran Thu 21-Feb-19 17:09:59

I think it says 24 hours just to cover themselves, I'm sure it will be ok if you do it as early as poss in a morn (good idea with the chain as I have done it myself before today) then as late as possible gently close the door.

Telly Thu 21-Feb-19 17:53:29

There's no way I would leave a front door, or any door open overnight. I would get it finished as early as possible and close it late, but if it sticks it sticks.

Jane10 Thu 21-Feb-19 18:12:41

Any chance of respite weekend for DH? Then maybe use chain and keep door ajar?
Gosh it's a tough one though. Nobody wants to leave their front doors open for 24 hours.
Any chance of a local ironmonger discussing a better type of paint, maybe s quick drying one?

MissAdventure Thu 21-Feb-19 18:17:37

I think I would feather the edges nearest where the door closes, and do the thinnest coat possible there.
I can't remember how I did my front door; possibly its quite lumpy at the edges.

bikergran Thu 21-Feb-19 18:27:15

Hammerite is a quick drying paint but you have to work really fast! I did a door for my dd it was dark green I used one of the little rollers it was ok but left a sort of textured pattern on it so not as nice as proper shiny black gloss. but It dried very quick.

Eloethan Thu 21-Feb-19 20:50:07

I think HildaW's comment re using two different types of paint might be the best solution.

tiredoldwoman Fri 22-Feb-19 05:11:54

paint at dawn, leave until as late as poss , chain on all day then at bed time , rub some oil onto cling film and lay on edges of door closing carefully ? Peel it off next morning and leave door on ajar and on chain for the next day to 100% dryness? Might work !

annep1 Fri 22-Feb-19 07:53:10

This might be a stupid idea because I don't know why it takes 24 hrs but could you speed it up with a hairdryer?

annep1 Fri 22-Feb-19 08:02:47

Found this advice on a website( similar to the oil suggestion someone made) :

try to leave as little paint on the doorframe edge where it meets the door even if it means gently wiping down the inside edge of frame ( it wont be seen) if it's still very tacky and you gota close/lock just rub a little vaseline down the door frame edge not toooo much wipe off next day.

Read more: www.diynot.com/diy/threads/when-can-i-close-my-front-door-painting-problem-any-tips.46437/#ixzz5gFFBlfag

B9exchange Fri 22-Feb-19 08:55:36

Another thought, paint early, leave all day, and then put silicone paper (non-stick baking paper) all round the edges, you could sellotape it on to the sides, nothing sticks to that, and shut the door?

Granny23 Fri 22-Feb-19 09:12:49

Thanks for all the ideas and annepl for the link. It seems that the consensus is to wait for warmer weather, sunshine which suits me fine - Never do today what you can put off till tomorrow.

jacq10 Fri 22-Feb-19 09:17:28

I am in agreement with bikergran. I think they are just covering themselves. I would leave it till warmer weather and be up at the crack of dawn and I'm sure it would be dry by evening,