Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Pull on jeans

(61 Posts)
MiniMoon Thu 14-Mar-19 11:39:31

I am needing a new pair of straight leg jeans. I am finding it increasingly difficult to fasten the button at the waist due to arthritis in my thumb joints.
Does anyone wear pull on jeans, do they stay put, or slip down?
Which brands would you recommend?
I'm a size 14 and 5' 3" in height .
Thank you.

seacliff Thu 14-Mar-19 11:53:55

I like Asda denim jeggings. On me they don't fall down, and wash well and keep their shape. I think it depends partly on your own shape, if they stay up well. I am curvy. For your size I think they'd look great on you. They are a proper thickish denim material.

I have also tried Cotton Traders pull on jeans but these looked baggier, and did keep slipping down, and the material was thinner, not proper denim, which I prefer. Not very flattering.

direct.asda.com/george/womens-jeans/dark-blue-denim-jeggings/GEM658494,default,pd.html?cgid=D1M1G20C7

shysal Thu 14-Mar-19 12:02:11

For every day I have some Cotton traders pull-on jeans. I am your height and size and find the £30 Premium ones very comfortable. These are real stretch denim and are quite thick. They come slightly big if anything, I wear 14 in these but 16 in some other brands. Good luck with your search.
www.cottontraders.com/search/?q=pull%20on%20jeans

Alima Thu 14-Mar-19 12:14:37

Debenhams Maine brand do some pull on jeans/jeggings. Very comfortable, have 3 pairs in different colours now.

Menopaws Thu 14-Mar-19 12:19:55

George at Asda skinny jeans, buttoned but always pull up, fit like a glove, just ordered more today

Nico97 Thu 14-Mar-19 12:20:19

I've found, after trying quite a few types of jeans that the best for me is if I buy "proper" jeans but that have added stretch in the material. I too suffer from dodgy thumb joints so this let's me just pull the jeans up as you would leggings/jeggings etc. Best pairs so far have been from Next and Kaleidoscope, various colours and leg styles so lots to choose from.

LadyGracie Thu 14-Mar-19 12:25:48

I had M&S pull on jeans and corduroy trousers, they fitted well and were comfortable. Cotton traders I found a bit short between the crotch and the waist, I have a more shapely derrière (big bum), if I crouched down they would slip down to reveal a ‘builders bum’ . I’m a size 12. 5’ 4”.

seacliff Thu 14-Mar-19 12:37:00

I have also tried those Debenhams Maine pull ons. They were really lovely quality, but sadly just too small for me. I'm sure they'd look great for your size, and I'd recommend them.

1inamillion Thu 14-Mar-19 12:46:24

I'm exactly the same height and size minimoon. I like M&S Classic straight leg, short length jeans. They stay put on me. Hope that helps.

1inamillion Thu 14-Mar-19 12:49:52

Forgot to mention Edinborough Woolen Mill, they do a good range too.

1inamillion Thu 14-Mar-19 12:50:43

Edinburgh oops

mumofmadboys Thu 14-Mar-19 12:53:25

M and S jeggings are good and comfy

MiniMoon Thu 14-Mar-19 13:50:32

I've got several pairs of leggings from Sainsbury's. They fit me well, and I wear them with my short dresses and tunics. It's jeans I'm really looking for, straight leg (not tight), to wear with blouses and sweaters for early spring. Thank you all for the suggestions, I'll have to pin DH down to a day so I can go shopping.?

BlueBelle Thu 14-Mar-19 14:23:25

Asda skinny jeggins suit me fine

Lilypops Fri 15-Mar-19 08:28:09

I have Next Jeggings in petite , I am 5'1 size14 and they fit perfectly , I like the dark rinse denim , very stretchy , very comfy,

annep1 Fri 15-Mar-19 09:07:19

M&S also Bon Marche and they do different lengths. Buttoned with elasticated waist might suit.

glammanana Fri 15-Mar-19 09:44:35

Minimoon Next have some really good pull on jeggings and the denim is not too thick or harsh for Spring they fit beautifully well worth a try they come in different lengths so you are sure to find a great fit,I have bought the black and mid blue for this year £20 a pair so will not break the bank.

trendygran Fri 15-Mar-19 09:51:42

I have three pairs of jeans from Bonmarche ,which fit better and are more comfortable than any I have had from M and S. They have some elastic at the back and are easy to fasten+,even with arthritic fingers,which I also have.

Chucky Fri 15-Mar-19 10:00:54

M&S jeggings. They have a zip, but depending on your shape pull up and down without having to open them due to stretchy material. They have different leg lengths, short, regular and long. Also in black, green, blue etc. as well as denim so suitable for anything. Only trousers / jeans I wear. I buy them at M&S outlet and only £15 maximum cost (sometimes cheaper).

Miep1 Fri 15-Mar-19 10:06:36

Next for me too

Singlegrannie Fri 15-Mar-19 10:06:39

I have a few pairs of pull on jeggings which look great but I find them extremely painful to pull off because of the arthritis in my thumbs ! Cope better with buttons .

ToadsMum Fri 15-Mar-19 10:16:18

Seasalt do great pull on jeans. Wide range of sizes and they keep their shape after washing which a lot don’t do.
French brand Captain Tortue did an amazing paire a few years ago so worth looking out to see if they bring more back

NotSpaghetti Fri 15-Mar-19 10:22:35

I have to wear a belt with the George stretchy jeans. Always fall down.
Don't recommend though they look OK.

4allweknow Fri 15-Mar-19 10:24:34

Have a look at Bon Marche as they do a range of straight leg jeans that has elasticated sections in the waist. There is a button and zip but waist stretches out to allow a bit of fiddling with the front. The style is Sara.

Kim19 Fri 15-Mar-19 10:34:33

I've had great success with Damart. They do 4 leg lengths in pretty much all of their trousers.