Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Nans and Grans, Fess up time (lighthearted!)

(33 Posts)
Meg54 Fri 19-Apr-19 16:30:45

Sooooo,
Watching the news about Extinction Rebellion and their demonstrations set me wondering.
What were you demonstrating about when younger - and what do you think about it now?.

callgirl1 Fri 19-Apr-19 16:43:36

I`m very dull and boring, have never demonstrated against anything.

Whitewavemark2 Fri 19-Apr-19 16:58:02

Oh I went on CND very early on. Greenham Common when I could and Iraq.

It is natural and uplifting to see the young questioning the parents world. They are learning to question and critique.

Very healthy.

Cherrytree59 Fri 19-Apr-19 17:06:07

At high school we had a couple of sit outs on the school field (nice weather)
We achieved out aim.

The school uniform rules were changed to allow girls to wear trousers or skirts.

I am afraid that is my only demonstration this far.

However I am very proud of my grandparents who marched in the the hungry thirties.
They also marched for better wages, hours and holidays for the Clyde-side ship-workers and Singer factory workers.
I have book with picture of my gran on a march!

My Grandfather also went on a Scottish Poll tax march.

Anniebach Fri 19-Apr-19 17:10:41

Fox hunting. Badger culling. Freedom for Mandela. Coal mine closures. Iraq War. Also campaigns against the death penalty, freedom for the Birmingham Six, the Bridgewater Three . The Cardiff Three

TerriBull Fri 19-Apr-19 17:15:45

Amnesty International
Baby seals being clubbed to death for their fur, I remember Spike Milligan speaking at that one.
I think there were a couple of others, but I've forgotten blush

agnurse Fri 19-Apr-19 17:21:50

My mum and her Year 8 class went on strike back in about 1970. They were wanting to move some kids out of the class and everyone liked the class as it was. So, after lunch, they went and sat down in their homeroom and refused to move. The teachers and principal came and told them they couldn't go on strike and they said, "Well, we just did."

In the end they won grin

BrandyButter Fri 19-Apr-19 17:31:44

I never had the confidence to rebel when younger, I am much more the outspoken pensioner now who won't put up with any unfairness to others and will stand up for anybody or anything. I seem to believe I am Wondergran or something!! Maybe I am making up for lost time grin

KatyK Fri 19-Apr-19 18:40:01

Nothing. I did buy Eve of Destruction by Barry Maguire though. I agreed with some of the protesters but never thought of joining them.

silverlining48 Fri 19-Apr-19 18:50:46

I was at greenham common in 1983 when everyone held hands round the base. It’s something which my children are quite impressed with but if I am honest I went along without much understanding. Am pleased now that i did though.
Then in the late 80s we marched a number of times against the rail link in Kent.

Whitewavemark2 Fri 19-Apr-19 18:52:17

silver??

GrannyLiv Fri 19-Apr-19 19:08:29

Seal culling in the 80's.

Slightly amusing story - after writing to my MP he replied on Parliament stationery, but it was delivered to the wrong house. Two lovely older ladies brought it to our house - they must have thought it was very important - they handed it over as if it were the crown jewels and one of them actually dropped a curtsey. To 17 year old me!

Anniebach Fri 19-Apr-19 20:39:59

I was leaving the house to travel up to London on a coach we had booked to join a demonstration, my father said ‘ take care ‘ my mother said ‘don’t get yourself on television’ !

Mamissimo Fri 19-Apr-19 20:46:07

Anniebach - such memories! I skipped school for a day when I was 18 to join a demo in London organised by the NUS against education cuts. We sat down in Park Lane to block the traffic and the police very kindly picked us up and plopped us on the pavement. I was home for tea.......the six o’clock news came on and it went very quiet as my parents watched me being carried off the road. ?

nanny2507 Fri 19-Apr-19 21:40:25

animal rights ...and i would do the same now

FarNorth Fri 19-Apr-19 21:55:36

Expansion of the nuclear plant at Dounreay.

JackyB Fri 19-Apr-19 21:56:50

I wouldn't have known how to get to a protest march or where one was or what to protest about. How did you all find these things out?

Anniebach Fri 19-Apr-19 21:58:37

Mamissimo ?

cornergran Fri 19-Apr-19 22:31:47

Another who wouldn’t have known about a protest march. Life was very sheltered for me.

crystaltipps Fri 19-Apr-19 23:17:10

I’ve come late in life to protests- I’ve been on the anti Iraq war march, save the local A and E march , 2 anti Brexit marches and am thinking of joining Extinction Rebellion although I’m not sure I want to get arrested- but I guess it would be something to tell the grandchildren.

GrandmainOz Fri 19-Apr-19 23:24:09

I protested at the anti poll tax march in Leeds. 1990 from memory.

BradfordLass72 Sat 20-Apr-19 05:29:13

I marched with the CND as a teenager (and was later told that all letters to and from CND members were intercepted by MI5, I wonder if that's true?) I hope they enjoyed mine to my German penfriend grin

Here in NZ I marched with friends against the Council spraying a deadly poison over schools and kindergartens in order to kill a moth they had not actually found...and never did.

Both protests were ignored.

eazybee Sat 20-Apr-19 09:00:48

I have never demonstrated against anything, although I have written letters about various issues, and received considered replies; some have actually been acted upon. Far more effective.

harrigran Sat 20-Apr-19 09:25:16

I have never demonstrated, I was way too busy earning a living.

jeanie99 Sat 27-Apr-19 12:25:47

I've always had my own views and thoughts about the world and how it effected me and mine but I have never gone on a march.
To be honest I was busy working trying to support myself and my family in hard times.
If you feel strong enough about whatever and have the time speak up.
I admire people who are totally committed and try to do something about it.