Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Over 50s clubs

(35 Posts)
Pagzy Thu 25-Apr-19 15:31:48

I can recommend Zumba Gold even if you are shy. The class I go to is very uplifting and you can enjoy without any interaction with anyone else or you can chat to others before and after class.

Engraverswife13 Thu 25-Apr-19 15:25:55

I’m thinking of Zumba Gold, anyone tried it? I’m quite shy ☺️

yggdrasil Thu 25-Apr-19 14:26:17

Basis for U3A is you have to be retired or semi-retired. That's all. So you could be in your 40s but the youngest ones at ours tend to be in their 50s. We do have a lot of older ones too, we don't throw them out at any age.
Each U3A is individual, though the Third Age Trust is an umbrella organisation through which you can find details of ones local to you.
It isn't all yoga and exercise, there are quite a few study and discussion groups, and if you have expertise in an area you can start your own group to pass on the knowledge. I personally run an astronomy group.
Also, as the whole thing is run by volunteers, we are always in need of younger people to be on the Committee.

Grammaretto Thu 25-Apr-19 13:12:37

I was giving a talk to a golden girls club not that long ago. The average age was 80 afaik.
They got lunch and a chat but it was for the very old and infirm.
My DM was in U3A 30 years ago so I always connect it with her. It has probably changed. Not sure if I have time as I still work part time but I will research it.
I think it's the age bracketing which I don't think I'd like as I never liked school for the same reason. I had friends in other classes even then.

Charleygirl5 Thu 25-Apr-19 13:10:53

If I see bingo advertised I would run a mile. I could not agree more with Elegran I was around in the Stones era so would much prefer that to Vera Lynn who I switch off when she comes on TV.

Bellanonna Thu 25-Apr-19 12:42:00

What Elegran describes, and chair exercises, fill me with horror, but I suspect those activities would be consigned to a much older age group.
U3A is full of interesting people, many close to 50, although the average age is older. No activity is for fogies though and the over 50 activity classes elsewhere are, well, usually very active. Zumba gold, and LBT (legs, bums, tums) require quite a lot of energy and effort. Grammaretto, give it a go and report back to us!

Nonnie Thu 25-Apr-19 12:25:59

I'm with Elegran on this. I was once talked into going to an over 55s exercise class and it was all done while sitting on a chair! That has put me right off but I might join U3A sometime if I ever run out of things to do or feel the need for more company.

Elegran Thu 25-Apr-19 12:06:36

Did you join them because they were for over-50s, bigcoll, or because the people in them and the things they did sounded interesting ? I would resist anything specifically designed for old fogies. Too many organisers think that Bingo and singsongs of "Bluebirds over the white cliffs of Dover" are what over-50's want. Here's news for them - some of us had parents who were too young to remember Vera Lynn.

I'd rather go to something that has a mix of ages.

bigcol1 Thu 25-Apr-19 11:36:56

I wouldn't. I am 60 years and for the past few years I have belonged to over 50's clubs or as I call them now, social clubs, for fear of discrimination. I started off with one which was based at the Idea Store in Whitechapel and a bit later on I went to the Idea Store in Chrisp St which had one as well. Now I go to three and I am on Facebook as well and even when I am not at the actual over 50s clubs if I cant get there or if igt is not their days or something, I belong to a couple on Facebook, so there is no need to miss out. I enjoy talking to people and sharing things and everything. I think that is why I am so good at Front of House work because I get on with people. I have been a front of house many times and I am currently meeting and greeting at Conway Hall in Holborn for a series of Sunday classical concerts. I love it! It keeps you in touch as well. I would recommend it to anyone xxxxx

Grammaretto Thu 25-Apr-19 11:28:53

I'm well over 50 but still feel a resistance to join any club specifically for older people.
What do others think? I would love to know if you are members, what you get up to and any things to avoid!
I have reluctantly joined an easier yoga group recently so I could be converted if you come up with some really good reasons. After all I've joined GN, been to a few meet-ups which I thoroughly enjoyed.