Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Wedding gift for nephew

(58 Posts)
whatkatydid Fri 03-May-19 11:49:46

Hello. Our nephew is getting married in July. He and his girlfriend have been together for years, they're in their late twenties. Bit of background, we haven't seen him since his teens, mostly because of distance, but we hear all his news from his mum, my sis-in-law, who we also don't see much of because of distance, but do keep in touch with. We won't be invited to the wedding, which is absolutely fine as they're having a really small do for immediate family and close friends in a local pub, which I think is a great idea - no problems there! We would like to send them a small gift, though, just to say we're thinking of them and to wish them lots of love and luck. I'd rather not just send money, but I'm not sure what might be appropriate. Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks. smile

Auntieflo Fri 03-May-19 12:05:49

How about a voucher for John Lewis, or similar, as you don’t want to send money?
As you say they have been together for quite a while, they most probably will have all they need now, but could treat themselves.

MiniMoon Fri 03-May-19 12:09:50

I have a similar problem. My nephew and his girlfriend are getting married in June. As with yours whatkatydid it's just going to be a fairly small affair for friends and immediate family. They bought a house together, so have everything they need. I'm thinking that a monetary gift is the most appropriate.
Unless you know what they need, or their taste in art or soft furnishings. I would stick with money.

annodomini Fri 03-May-19 12:34:24

A cousin got married after many years of being with her partner. She had worked for a long time with one of the aid organisations and her partner was well off. As they literally had everything, my solution, which I knew they would appreciate was to buy some livestock for an African village in their name.
When DS and his (now ex) wife were married, they asked family and friends to give them vouchers for Argos. Practical, but hardly romantic!

fourormore Fri 03-May-19 12:35:38

On a 'well-known' on line auction site, type in personalised wedding gift and all sorts of knick knacks come up. All sorts of prices too and the chances are you won't repeat someone else's gift! Like you I dislike giving money - call me old fashioned but I like something to unwrap grin

paddyann Fri 03-May-19 13:01:12

Depends what you want to spend,my go to present is a Picnic hamper.Its something most people dont get round to buying but love when they have it .You can get reasonably priced ones and stunning huge hampers with chrystal and china .Look on Amazon.

kittylester Fri 03-May-19 14:04:03

A really good bottle of bubbles!

Jane10 Fri 03-May-19 14:07:50

Do they have a wedding list with John Lewis? That can be handy then at least you'd be getting them something they really want/need.

MawBroonsback Fri 03-May-19 15:26:04

Fluffy white bath sheets from The White Company or John Lewis - always useful and a touch of luxury to have new bath towels. Add in hand towels, flannels etc if you are feeling flush, but two top quality bath sheets would make an ideal present IMO

MiniMoon Fri 03-May-19 16:06:05

I'm still using the last of the towels we received as wedding presents. We got married 38 years ago. ??

whatkatydid Fri 03-May-19 16:23:55

Some really great ideas here! Thank you all.

NotAGran55 Fri 03-May-19 18:50:20

A JL gift voucher - you can’t go wrong with that IMO .

Starlady Sat 04-May-19 01:56:17

Agree about the voucher. It's money - and yet, not money. Also agree with just choosing something from their list if they have one. As Jane says, it's something they really want, so you're automatically ok.

Humbertbear Sat 04-May-19 08:39:31

I think vouchers are best although when friends of ours married (second time for both) they asked for board games.

Torquoise5 Sat 04-May-19 09:28:51

I would get them a voucher for a meal or spa break.

CarlyD7 Sat 04-May-19 09:30:24

Would definitely start by asking if they have a wedding list somewhere - some people do it at John Lewis, others at M&S, etc. Or if you do decide to send them something, you can always enclose a gift receipt (so that they can swop it for something they need)?

leyla Sat 04-May-19 09:32:08

A wooden chopping board or cheese board with their names on?

annep1 Sat 04-May-19 09:40:28

I'm with Kittylester on this. Bottle of champagne or a wine selection. Always appreciated. We got gifts like this when we married few years ago and already lived in our present home.

BazingaGranny Sat 04-May-19 09:45:06

Perhaps just ask your sister in law or the happy couple themselves if there is anything specific or if they have a list at a well known shop? I think money and a lovely card is also ideal.

There are so many unwanted gifts going hopefully to charity shops, possibly into landfill or just cluttering everywhere, that I really don’t want to give (or receive) unwanted gifts, knick knacks or whatever.

Anything with their name on might be regarded as fabulous or frightful!

Hope they have a lovely wedding ?✅

okimherenow Sat 04-May-19 09:49:36

We gave to similar couple a gift voucher for a 1 night B&B at a posh Dartmoor hotel ... £125...
They could use and add to it ... They seemed very pleased.

NanaAnnie Sat 04-May-19 09:49:40

Do they have a gift list somewhere? That way, you can gift something that they really want.

phoenix Sat 04-May-19 09:55:44

If they have a garden there is a lovely rose called Wedding Day.

BusterTank Sat 04-May-19 09:57:11

Vouchers are the best thing , they can buy what they like and the gift won't end up in the charity shop .

4allweknow Sat 04-May-19 09:58:36

Depends how much you are thinking of spending. There are some lovely photo frames around. I recently purchased on on line, hand made pewter, for £47.00 Had it gift wrapped and sent direct to bride. According to her mother, the couple were ecstatic as not a household item. There are plenty others less expensive.

Dillyduck Sat 04-May-19 09:59:44

How about your own recipe book, of all your favourite dishes. I was once given a present list, by the time it reached me only boring things like basins were left. I bought a nest of Pyrex basins, and with each one I left a simple recipe which the groom could cook for his bride. Years later I learned that they were still using some of my recipes.