Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Statins

(78 Posts)
Yas1 Fri 31-May-19 10:45:26

I am being told to go on statins because of high cholesterol and blood pressure even tho I am very active and slim with a healthy diet. I am 67 .....is anyone on them and are the side affects bad?

ditzyme Fri 31-May-19 10:47:40

I've been on them for years for medical reasons and have had no side effects at all. I suppose it depends which ones you are taking?

Coolgran65 Fri 31-May-19 10:55:31

I've been on them for years and actually had them increased. I asked Dr if I could come off them simply because I take so many medications and he said def No!!
No ill side effects that I'm aware of.

Sar53 Fri 31-May-19 11:32:56

I've been on a statin, HRT and a tablet for my blood pressure for many years. No side effects at all.

annodomini Fri 31-May-19 11:50:00

I've had Simvastatin for over 20 years. Blood test results show that it has been effective. At one point, when the results came back, it was recommended that I should be prescribed 40mg instead of the 20mg I'd previously been on. After a couple of months, I asked my GP to go back to the original dosage as it had done the business and he agreed. I've had no side-effects at all.

EllanVannin Fri 31-May-19 12:35:26

I've been taking Atorvastatin for 12+ years now 20mg with other meds for A/Fib and they're doing their job okay too.
They stop plaque from forming and blocking the arteries ( cholesterol-busting drugs ) My level has been a steady 3 to 4 for years now, instead of the 7 and rising------so in effect can be a life-saver. No side-effects.

Liz46 Fri 31-May-19 12:37:42

I have tried two different statins and had dreadful pains in my calves. I refuse to take any more. I do take a low dose bp pill every morning.

ninathenana Fri 31-May-19 12:38:54

I've had no ill effects and neither has DH who takes them too.

tanith Fri 31-May-19 12:42:41

I’ve also taken them for several yrs with no side affects.

stella1949 Fri 31-May-19 12:44:41

I've been taking Rosuvastatin for years with no side effects at all.

Tedber Fri 31-May-19 16:38:18

I also was prescribed statins and had bad side effects like Liz46...lots of leg pain. My GP didn't want me to come off them but I told her I would reduce my cholesterol with diet. She was skeptical but I managed it!!! GP was amazed at how much my cholesterol had reduced with my subsequent blood test. Not saying everyone should come off them if they agree with them but...it can be done without. See how you go is my advice.

callgirl1 Fri 31-May-19 16:54:23

I`ve been on Atorvastatin for cholestoral, been taking them for 18 months now, no side effects.

agnurse Fri 31-May-19 17:59:36

Statins can cause issues for some people but they don't do so for everyone. Then, too, sometimes people who have issues with one statin don't have issues with another one.

There is evidence now that high LDL levels are largely down to genetic risks. In fact, statins are actually an example of personalized medicine - they are designed to address a specific issue caused by a defective gene. The defective gene is what causes some people to make too much cholesterol.

overthehill Fri 31-May-19 19:28:26

20 years ago I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. I was told at the time to take statins which I refused and have done ever since. I do take Metformin for the diabetes but my GP accepts it's my choice not to take statins.

Blondiescot Fri 31-May-19 19:52:31

I've been taking statins for the past few years but for about six months now, I've had horrendous muscle pains and weakness, which I now believe is actually statin-induced neuropathy. I have had several falls because of this and days when I can barely get up out of a chair. I've got weakness in both hands and find it difficult to grip things - fastening zips and buttons is a nightmare. I've been off the statins for a month now, but I'm not sure if I see any improvement yet...

agnurse Fri 31-May-19 22:36:03

The term is actually statin-induced myopathy. Neuropathy is a problem with the nerves, myopathy is a muscle issue. Statins are known to cause muscle damage in some people. This is why muscle enzymes are monitored periodically in people taking statins. It's a simple blood test.

janeainsworth Fri 31-May-19 23:28:28

agnurse are you saying that everyone who is prescribed statins has a genetic predisposition to high cholesterol?

In the U.K., the guidelines are that doctors should suggest to anyone who has a greater than 10% risk of a cardiovascular event over 10 years, that they should take them.
Do all the people with this level of risk have a genetic predisposition?

agnurse Sat 01-Jun-19 01:38:22

There's evidence to suggest that high LDL is largely due to genetics.

harrigran Sat 01-Jun-19 08:55:11

I used to take Simvastatin but the Pharmacist changed them to Atorvastatin because Simvastatin should not be used long term in the elderly, as she informed me. Must research that and find out why.
Neither tablet caused me any problems and has maintained my cholesterol at 3.8

Rosina Sat 01-Jun-19 09:19:24

My husband has attempted several times to take statins, as the GP painted an alarming picture of life without them. He suffered such awful side effects from several brands that he would not try them again.
I then read 'The Great Cholesterol Conspiracy' by Malcolm Kendrick, a GP who has researched the subject widely. You will likely have a very different view after reading some of the startling facts about statins and cholesterol.

polnan Sat 01-Jun-19 09:19:28

I have been on them for years, mainly due to family history. when I suggested I should stop taking them, due to bad stories,, it was suggested that was my risk if I wanted to lose that bit of "protection" they can give.

I am 83 tomorrow! and good health for my age!

BassGrammy Sat 01-Jun-19 09:46:22

I was prescribed statins and within days of taking them I had pains and a feeling of “things moving” in my legs. I stopped taking them after just a few days but the pains went on for months. My GP suggested trying a different statin, but fully accepts that I’m not prepared to do that again! My cholesterol is not sufficiently high to warrant it.

jane1956 Sat 01-Jun-19 09:48:49

Hi, took them years ago but had very bad leg pains, so came off them, have took cardio k (health food store) instead. Was put back on them in Feb, was very badly constipated (3 times in 6 weeks ) so took myself off them. Hope you are ok with yours

Nanny41 Sat 01-Jun-19 09:49:54

Been on statins for many years , no problems until recently, the past month or so have weakness in one leg occasionally and tingling and loss of sensation in my hands,I am wondering if this is the statin effect,I am waiting for my Doctor to contact me, once he has thought about it,watch this space!

dragonfly46 Sat 01-Jun-19 09:52:42

I believe that it was statins that weakened my dad's legs and in the end prevented him from walking.
My cholesterol is above 6 but I have been told my good cholesterol is high. I would not take statins at any price.