Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Going away

(91 Posts)
etheltbags1 Tue 09-Jul-19 11:34:58

My dD and partner are going for a weekend without their dd. I'm having her for 1 night other gran is having her second night to be diplomatic. I know she will cry for her mum. I never left my dd. Does anyone think this is ok.

nanamac77 Wed 10-Jul-19 13:43:25

Whilst I don't wish it on her, if she cries for her parents that will be a really valuable learning experience in one sense. The lesson ill be that she wanted her parents but she managed without them and sure enough as promised, they returned ( no doubt with some little present too). Compare that with a child who is so cosseted and protected that she can't cope with going to Uni becasue she's never had to fend for herself! You don;t want her to become a snowflake!!

EthelJ Wed 10-Jul-19 13:13:58

Keep her busy and distracted and have a lovely time. If there is going to be a difficult time it will be at bedtime. So try and make it as calm and relaxed as possible. Maybe take her to buy some nice bath bombs and maybe a new bedtime story so she can look forward to it. Be confident, matter of fact, tell her it will be a great adventure and that mummy and daddy will be back soon.
Have fun good luck

Laurely Wed 10-Jul-19 12:57:15

I left my own DD with my parents for a couple of nights when she was 2. She left her son with us for one night before he was 18 months old. Neither cried for their mothers. Both had good relationships with grandparents, had had what was happening explained to them (I counted out the days on DD's fingers), been told they would enjoy it and that Mummy and Daddy would be back. I think it is sensible for children to learn from an early age that they can be safe and happy with other people as well as their own parents.

GrammaH Wed 10-Jul-19 12:35:20

I think you're worrying unduly ethelbags. I originally thought she'd never been away from her parents before but as you regularly have her, what's the problem? You say she's always known previously she could go home if she wanted to...what?? I'm sure you will both have a wonderful time as you usually do when she's with you. My 6 year old GS has been a regular overnight visitor since he was small, his parents frequently grab a few days away when they get the chance as his dad works abroad a lot. We don't have any problems, he's a treat to have about the house as I'm sure your DGD is

TrendyNannie6 Wed 10-Jul-19 12:32:00

I never left my kids either n that was in the seventies eighties but things have changed so much now. I think it’s good to go here there everywhere they need to have some independence and she will love being with you n her other grandparent have fun

Hm999 Wed 10-Jul-19 12:20:41

Can you build it up beforehand? Phone or text to find out her favourite DVD; does she like sweet popcorn or salt? Burgers or fish and chips? Can you take me to... cinema/beach/wherever?

Kim19 Wed 10-Jul-19 12:20:22

I think it's great for the parents to manage some time away on their own. It's further beneficial in that the GPS can enhance their own personal relationships with the 6 year old. Such an interesting and fun age. Mind you, I find the concept of 'one night each' a bit short and disruptive for the child. Could 'fair play' not be managed by a repeat in the not too distant future? Either way, I hope everyone enjoys the outcome. I just can't get enough of my GCs company. Wonderful!

Minshy Wed 10-Jul-19 12:14:02

Her overnight stay will be over before you know it.
Enjoy.. if she cries for her mum simply reassure her and comfort her.
Have a great time

Craftycat Wed 10-Jul-19 12:09:30

Good Grief. I have had all my 6DGC stay for weekends from very early on. Sometimes all 6 together. They are 2 sets of 3.
They love coming & if mum & dad do not have any parties etc. to go to they come anyway.
She will love staying with you. Get her making cakes with you& she'll be back the next weekend too.
Enjoy it.

knspol Wed 10-Jul-19 12:08:10

Might have been easier for child to stay at one place for both nights, less disruption for her. She could then stay at other GP's on next occasion. Enjoy!

Lessismore Wed 10-Jul-19 11:59:15

I'm sorry old foggie alert, forget Face Time.

Stansgran Wed 10-Jul-19 11:57:33

I agree about face time. The only time I had tears when I was having dgd aged 3 and I had put a good pic of her and her mum in a frame thinking she might like to kiss it good night( it was a2 month stay) big mistake. We had tears over burst balloons or no more ice cream but otherwise ok. She is now 15 and wants to come by herself. I found that when parents were going it helped if we left them rather than they left us i.e. We re off for a cup of tea for grandma. Which cafe shall we go to ? Worked for us as when we came back parents had gone. Doesn't work for every child.

CrazyGrandma2 Wed 10-Jul-19 11:56:35

DGS was six months old first time we had him overnight and we've been doing it regularly ever since. For many years now we have them to sleepover at ours as we find it easier and the parents get a night off and a lie in. The kids love it!

At 6 my DD has been known to have a little cry very occasionally at bedtime but she's soon settled. I just acknowledge her feelings but point out mummy can't come so she'll have to put up with me. That usually elicits a laugh and then it's all forgotten. I'm sure you also have the skills to distract. Enjoy!

Abuelana Wed 10-Jul-19 11:54:11

Gosh my daughter flew at age 7 from Spain into London to stay with my family.
And my cousins daughter at 7 flew to us from London. We have two very confident young woman... I always say each to their own.

Mcrc Wed 10-Jul-19 11:49:51

Mischief is spot on. They had so much fun. We were exhausted but it was a special time.

optimist Wed 10-Jul-19 11:49:09

My grandchildren stayed with me overnight often and grew up very independent. My grandaughters friend had never slept away from home until recently and became very distressed.

Mcrc Wed 10-Jul-19 11:48:03

First time at six? Our grandchildren were with us for 30 days at 18 mos. and 3 years because of divorce and son's deployment. She will be okay. You are worrying too much. they cried for their mother and we distracted, hugged and talked about it.

4allweknow Wed 10-Jul-19 11:46:23

Only issue I can see may be the one night each arrangement. Can't both GPs agree one of you have her in this occasion and the other another time. Could be quite unsettling swoping about especially if you feel DGD will be upset. Had my GC for much longer at much earlier ages and they seemed to love it.

mischief Wed 10-Jul-19 11:40:44

I think you are over-thinking it. My dd and husband have often asked me to babysit while they spend a weekend away. They go away as a family for at least 2 weeks each year but Mum & Dad have been invited to America for 4 days later in the year and I'm going to look after them. They enjoy Granny doing different things with them and I love having them to myself without their parents. Win, win. Yes, the first time we had tears at bedtime but I found reading a story and lots of hugs did the trick. The eldest is now 7 and everything is fine. Go on, enjoy.

Jumbo1 Wed 10-Jul-19 11:35:09

I have 4 Grandchildren under 7 and they have all stayed over with me and partner since they were babies.
They love to sleep over ( 2 at a time!)
and we all love it. I plan the events so that they are busy busy during the day
and then hopefully are ready to sleep when the time comes. I’m 70 this year and I haven’t had as much fun in years. They light up my life and never worry about being left without Mum and Dad. Start them early and enjoy!
As I’m new to Gransnet - can anyone tell me what all the abbreviations mean? I’m lost

Aepgirl Wed 10-Jul-19 11:32:49

They obviously want a couple of nights away on their own, and you get the opportunity of having your grand-daughter. Enjoy it.

Granarchist Wed 10-Jul-19 09:38:26

Gosh - I have just had my five month old DGD for the weekend and before that she was with her aunt for 8 days - easy peasy at that age - we had frozen breast milk in abundance and she was a joy. IMHO the earlier you do it the better so that it becomes the norm. You don't want a DGC having to suddenly come in an emergency when they have never had a night away from parents. If you expect her to cry she may well do so - just have a lovely time - make bedtime comfy and follow her routine - supper - bath - story - cuddles - bed. Enjoy it and don't worry!

LullyDully Wed 10-Jul-19 08:17:32

No problem,. just enjoy her company. It should be an adventure for both of you. Just remember the glue, scissors and bits and bobs to keep her busy.

(I remember clearly, staying overnight with my old granny. Wonderful. We went shopping in Acton together and I put my few clothes in her wardrobe, folded up. Just the two of us, so special.)

Sara65 Wed 10-Jul-19 08:14:22

Hetty58

Happy memories, my children and their friends would spend weeks of the summer holidays sleeping outside with the back door unlocked all night, I can’t see my grandchildren being allowed that kind of freedom!

crazyH Wed 10-Jul-19 08:07:07

My GC have stayed overnight many, many times. GD used to cry for her mother. One night I gave her, her mother's dressing gown to sleep with. She had her mother's 'smell'. That was all she needed to drift off to sleep. Job done .