Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Seized tanker

(97 Posts)
Riverwalk Sat 20-Jul-19 16:08:06

I've noticed that the Swedish-owned tanker is now described as 'British-flagged', as opposed to British.

The business of flagging vessels is murky, often flags of convenience e.g. Liberia and Panama.

I'm just wondering what makes this tanker 'British'?

RosieLeah Sat 20-Jul-19 16:16:50

My main concern is what Iran is hoping to achieve. They seem to be deliberately provoking us. Surely they don't actually want a major conflict with us?

Olderthanmost Sat 20-Jul-19 17:18:40

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Gonegirl Sat 20-Jul-19 17:27:37

I'm beginning to think nobody knows what it means. confused The crew isn't British. I don't think there is anything very British about it.

Gonegirl Sat 20-Jul-19 17:29:05

Ooh * Olderthanmost*! What nation are you in/from then? Are you friendly? shock

Gonegirl Sat 20-Jul-19 17:29:56

Well, you personally, don't actually sound it (friendly) of course. Thinking more about your government.

EllanVannin Sat 20-Jul-19 17:32:31

The Stena tanker will have been registered in Britain hence the use of the word " British flagged ".

Gonegirl Sat 20-Jul-19 17:35:07

So who does it belong to? Who owns the oil on board?

EllanVannin Sat 20-Jul-19 17:35:30

Well the Ayatollah isn't exactly everyone's friend Olderthanmost.

petra Sat 20-Jul-19 17:36:31

Olderthanmost
I'm assuming that you don't agree with the Cecil Rhodes quote.
^ Remember that you are an Englishman, and have consequently won the first prize in the lottery of life^

blossom14 Sat 20-Jul-19 17:36:49

Just wondering Olderthanmost. What is a sense of Entertainment?

Riverwalk Sat 20-Jul-19 17:39:25

Yes, I get that bit Ellan but I'm just wondering how it all works in relation to the UK having to provide naval protection, or not as it turns out, to a ship that is Swedish-owned.

RosieLeah Sat 20-Jul-19 17:55:55

Olderthanmost, I must respond to your remarks by asking, 'If 'everyone' hates the British so much, why is it that seemingly the rest of the world wants to come to our country and be thought of as British?'

EllanVannin Sat 20-Jul-19 17:57:43

So far as I can understand, the tanker was sailing toward Saudi Arabia but changed course to an island off Iran. Radio contact went dead and nobody's heard from the crew since. None of the crew are British so far as I know, nor the reason why the tanker veered off course.

This has come about since the British navy seized an Iranian tanker in Gibraltar a couple of weeks ago. Iran had said it would retaliate over the seizure.

What a time to be leaving the EU !!

EllanVannin Sat 20-Jul-19 18:01:16

Because a ship is Swedish owned doesn't make it exempt from assistance by the British. It's all about neutrality.

Gonegirl Sat 20-Jul-19 18:05:07

Apparently a ship has to comply with the laws of the country in which it was flagged. Not that helps at all.

EllanVannin Sat 20-Jul-19 18:11:29

The tanker was registered in Britain and did comply with all rules that the British lay down concerning the seas. It was in the Gulf of Oman and as it had been empty was heading towards Saudi Arabia.

maddyone Sat 20-Jul-19 18:13:30

I’m not sure Ellan, that the EU have got anything to do with this, or indeed anything to do with what might happen. Britain and France are apparently the best militarily countries in the EU, so it would appear that Britain is well able to defend itself, despite cuts to the military in recent years. Let’s just hope that it won’t be necessary.

loopyloo Sat 20-Jul-19 18:17:46

I love it that the Brits have a sense of entertainment! Lets hope things with Iran calm down.

EllanVannin Sat 20-Jul-19 18:28:13

Maddyone we have full support of France and Germany. This country couldn't stand alone if the worst should happen.

Olderthanmost Sat 20-Jul-19 20:01:08

If you were as intelligent as you are pretending to be you would have picked up the predictive text error. Entitlement.

M0nica Sat 20-Jul-19 21:08:10

The ship is British because it is on the British shipping registered. That means it has to obey all British marine laws in relation to safety, crewing, pay etc and also pays taxation in the UK.

Companies register ships in countries like Liberia and Panama because their regulations are far fewer, so ships considered to badly maintained to operate under British law can still plie the seas registered in Panama.

It is well explained here en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ship_registration

lemongrove Sat 20-Jul-19 22:42:09

Which totally wonderful country are you from then olderthanmost ? hmm
It’s true we do have a great sense of entertainment though.

lemongrove Sat 20-Jul-19 22:44:11

I can’t understand why tankers weren’t in a convoy to travel through the Straits Of Hormuz.It was obviously going to happen as an act of retaliation by the Iranians.

Namsnanny Sat 20-Jul-19 23:10:00

Olderthanmost……

Your right the British do have a sense of entitlement to entertainment.

We're well known for our sense of humour too wink