Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

friendship problem

(35 Posts)
NainFron Thu 01-Aug-19 10:19:46

Catlover123. This reminds me of a close friend that I used to have nearly 30 years ago. We saw each other weekly, she came to my hen night, my wedding, and visited me in hospital when I gave birth - not that I saw her that day as I was asleep. She left a gift for the new baby. I sent her a thank you card, phoned her several times, wrote a long letter, and called at her house but she completely ignored me. I was very very upset about it, thinking that I had somehow offended her. But I never found out why she did that. Nowadays, I think that people make their own choices, and that it's none of my business to find out why. Be kind, (to yourself as well as others), send the odd communication to let her know that you're still there, until you feel that there's no more point. If she wants to see you, she'll get in touch when she's ready to talk. Good luck. Focus on what's good in your life.

lemongrove Thu 01-Aug-19 09:56:50

Agree with you Dawn22

Dawn22 Thu 01-Aug-19 08:51:37

Missfoodlove has succinctly hit the nail on the head and this l think is really the problem with the friendship and may not be anything personal. Hope it works out for you as friendship problems can really sting.

MissAdventure Wed 31-Jul-19 17:55:05

How long is it since your friend moved?
I'm still trying to get straight in my flat and I moved in 30 years ago!
Add a bereavement to the mix, and I can understand that your friend may be feeling overwhelmed.

I'm sure she does appreciate your kind messages though, so please don't give up on her.

Calendargirl Wed 31-Jul-19 17:40:01

redorist

Inclined to agree with your answer. If the OP’s friend doesn’t respond after a while, sadly may be best to assume for whatever reason she views the move as a suitable time to break ties.

Madgran77 Wed 31-Jul-19 17:38:16

She may have just been busy with a new life after moving. Then bereaved which can be pretty debilitating! Why not contact her, ask how she is etc and suggest a meet up somewhere convenient for both of you when she is ready. Suggest a few dates you are free but also say no worries if she doesn't want to/ cant do any of those dates. Suggest she sends some suggested dates then leave the ball in her court. It doesn't sound like you have upset her as she said she would be in touch, she just has other things taking up time maybe?

silverlining48 Wed 31-Jul-19 17:37:45

Cat lover. You have done the running so I would be inclined to wait to see if your friend gets in touch.
That my advice after a lifetime of always being the one to keep going with letters and calls, long after the friendship has died, so have learned from that (at last!). It’s not unusual for friendships to fall by the wayside after a move, whether that be house or job.
However up to you of course if you want to give it another try. Hope it works out fir you,

redorist Wed 31-Jul-19 17:30:40

I would be inclined to leave it for a few weeks and then ask if she is coming to terms with the loss of her mother and if she does not reply I would draw a line under your friendship

Missfoodlove Wed 31-Jul-19 17:30:29

Is she in a bad place?
It can be hard to respond cheerfully if you are depressed or have a lot of problems.
I would email again saying there is no need to respond but tell her you thinking of her.

Catlover123 Wed 31-Jul-19 17:21:51

I have a friend who used to be a close friend but since moving hasn't kept in touch very often. I sent her a message via Facebook a couple of months ago asking her why she hadn't replied to a long email I sent her many weeks before that. She replied that she had enjoyed reading my email and would be in touch soon. She hasn't been in touch and not so long ago her mum died and I sent her a card. I would just like to know why she hasn't been in touch, it's just not knowing that is upsetting as I don't know if I have upset her in some way. Should I contact her again or would it be better to wait a bit longer since she may still be grieving?