Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Gc lacking in life skills.

(103 Posts)
kircubbin2000 Thu 08-Aug-19 13:04:43

10 yr old asked for sausage roll for lunch today. I heated it and wrapped it in a napkin so that he could eat it in front of tv.Came into room 10 mins later and he hadn't touched it. It needs to be cut up! Still didn't eat it. Seagulls had it. I asked him to put my bin out and he said he didn't know where it went.His mum still cuts up his dinner so I said nothing.

Bridgeit Thu 08-Aug-19 13:09:11

Ohh dear, but perhaps you could have grabbed the opportunity and shown him /told what to do.

Teetime Thu 08-Aug-19 13:10:18

I keep seeing Mummies doing up their quite large childrens' laces.

stella1949 Thu 08-Aug-19 13:17:44

They are all different ! I've got four GC and they are all independent in most things. My 10 yr old would have heated up the sausage roll and served it to me !

Cabbie21 Thu 08-Aug-19 13:18:57

Mine too!

EllanVannin Thu 08-Aug-19 13:21:14

Yes, by all means, look after the children as we all do but there comes a time when they should be taught to start looking after themselves too and to be running round after a 10 year old is not going to teach him anything other than to be waited on hand and foot. It's quite shocking really.
It does no harm at all to give children little jobs to do, starting early and let them earn their pocket money.

Riverwalk Thu 08-Aug-19 14:12:25

You're not helping his life skills by giving him a sausage roll to eat with his hands whilst watching TV!

If you'd sat at the table and had lunch together you could have chivvied him along to cut up the sausage roll.

I have only a few house rules but grandchildren eating meals at the table is one of them!

wildswan16 Thu 08-Aug-19 14:25:10

If he hasn't been brought up to look after himself you can do one of two things.

1. Keep pandering to him
2. Ask him into the kitchen to prepare his sausage roll and maybe make you one too.

BlueBelle Thu 08-Aug-19 14:34:43

Oh dear I have to agree here with other posters, this was your perfect opportunity but you fell into the same trap as the one his parents have created, and done his bidding Most of mine have all cooked or found stuff for themselves if no one around to do it for them from 10/11 I would have made his sausage roll called him to the table and no kid of 10 needs his sausage roll cutting up so obviously he wasn’t hungry
When he said he couldn’t do the bin because he didn’t know where it went why didn’t you tell him where it lives and said now give it a go please
He won’t get on too well at high school at 11 if he can’t eat his food without it being cut up for him Do him a big favour and teach him next time he’s at yours

Nonnie Thu 08-Aug-19 15:27:52

Not so long ago I was being taken to see a boarding school and told about the kitchen they were having built so they could teach the sixth formers how to make a coffee and a simple meal! Not so sure this child is alone or that there is a lot a GP can do unless they look after him regularly.

I don't see mine so often as they don't live in the UK but when I do they seem to want to do everything themselves.
They are 5 & 2 so perhaps will become more helpless later

ninathenana Thu 08-Aug-19 15:37:54

10 yr old GS makes breakfast for himself and younger brother and makes a lovely cup of tea. He would have heated his own sausage roll or made himself a sandwich.
I agree with wildswan take him to the kitchen and show him how. Pandering to him (mum not you) is not helping.

paddyann Thu 08-Aug-19 15:42:22

I started teaching my own children to cook young .My daughter could make herseld scrambled eggs in the microwave when eh was 4 and by the time she started high school she could make a 3 course meal ,I started my GC young too with things in the microwave now they can make pasta and omelettes and anything thats grilled.They are 8 ,10 and 12 .Its up to the parents or whoever has most care of them to teach life skills ,although I have a friend who hates cooking and said her daughter could learn to cook once she'd left home .We are all different.I would make sure he could cut up food though at 10 ,surely if he eats in school they insist on knives and forks
?

BlueBelle Thu 08-Aug-19 15:54:07

Yes mine all cooked young and before they left primary there is no way they would have starved, they could do the compulsory spag Bol, noodles and easy stuff like scrambled egg, jacket potatoes in the microwave, and a full dinner by 12 plus cakes, biscuits etc (better than me mostly) I think it’s not so much the not cooking in this situation but the not cutting up that would worry me enormously
You can’t change his parents but you can make him more useful when he comes to yours most kids like experimenting and trying out doing new things

March Thu 08-Aug-19 15:54:32

Please tell me he cut it up himself?

Nonnie Thu 08-Aug-19 17:01:12

My DiLs are delighted my sons could cook when they met them!

Luckygirl Thu 08-Aug-19 17:03:10

Does he wipe his own bum? grin

sodapop Thu 08-Aug-19 17:06:47

It was a case of self preservation for my children as I disliked cooking then and still do.

dragonfly46 Thu 08-Aug-19 17:12:24

I am afraid I would have made him sit at the kitchen table and cut it up himself while I sat and ate with him. Children learn by example. Even my 4 year old GD has always sat at her little table with her little chair for lunch and at teatime she sits at the big table with her parents.

Callistemon Thu 08-Aug-19 18:09:47

I would have made him sit at the table too and eaten lunch with him.

I'm shocked that anyone would post that they had given a DGC food in a napkin to eat in front of the tv.
Is this real?

ninathenana Thu 08-Aug-19 19:02:08

All those aghast at him not sitting at the table for lunch. We don't sit at the table for lunch in our house. We always do for breakfast and evening meal.

BlueBelle Thu 08-Aug-19 19:09:36

But do you cut your own food up nina

Callistemon Thu 08-Aug-19 20:05:47

I do have a yen for a large, bad-for-me sausage roll though. As long as it's hot and from Gregg's!

I wouldn't cut it up either.

BradfordLass72 Thu 08-Aug-19 23:33:48

How will they ever know if we don't teach them?

Coolgran65 Thu 08-Aug-19 23:49:02

Today my dgd made some sausage rolls which we had for tea.
Granted, it was frozen puff pastry and a packet of sausage meat. She put ketchup in with the filling and brushed the tops with egg.

When she moaned about having to put on a wash her mum told her ..... In ten years you may be heading off to uni and it's my job to make sure you can cope.

When my son was at uni he phoned asking on different ways of cooking potatoes. Turned out he'd bought a cwt bag of spuds at a farmer's market because they're cheaper by the cwt. And didn't I know that !!
He had also bought a 10 kilo bag of long grain rice.
Set up for the academic year I guess. ;)

B9exchange Thu 08-Aug-19 23:52:09

I have 10 year old GCs from two families who will only attempt to use a knife and fork when round here and pushed to do so, they seem to eat everything, including roast potatoes and chicken with their fingers!