Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Wind relief!

(82 Posts)
Growing0ldDisgracefully Wed 28-Aug-19 12:27:52

Just looking for recommendations for OTC wind relief. At the risk of various hilarious responses, I've always been a bit of a windy bod (my other half will say that's a gross understatement...). I'm particularly a 'night time striker' and Him Indoors is well used to bracing himself and holding down the bedclothes before both are blown away. I'm aware of all the dietary advice and keep away from fatty and spicy food etc and stick to a reasonably healthy diet (does a glass of wine count as one of your 5-a'day?). I think it became worse after having my gall bladder removed about 8 years ago but that might just be my overheated imagination! I used to suffer dreadfully when I was working, having to find excuses to go to unfrequented parts of the building etc as 10 minutes loo visits were embarrassing....). It's not been so bad since I've been retired and no inhibitions to worry about (except Him Indoors and that's his hard luck) so clearly there's an element of stress in it. However the point of this long-winded post (oh dear, excuse the pong, sorry I mean pun), is: I'm shortly going away for a few days with a friend and sharing a hotel room to cut down on costs for us both. I don't wanted strain a beautiful friendship through my abdominal, sorry abominable, nightly rumblings and having to warn her to batten down the hatches and anything else that moves. Just wanted any recommendations for effective fart relief which may have helped anyone else. I await your serious and mocking responses .....

lemongrove Wed 28-Aug-19 12:52:12

Separate rooms!
No cabbage, beans or too much wholemeal bread.?
Carry an air freshener with you.
Blame someone else.
Take Windeze tablets.
Avoid tight clothing.

Alima Wed 28-Aug-19 12:54:22

No, don’t have any advice regarding fart relief but to counter the effects of super farts on your current friend I suggest you leave the window open and ensure she has a gas mask handy.

MissAdventure Wed 28-Aug-19 12:56:41

Charcoal tablets?
I think superdrug sell them.
Or, you could buy your friend a peg?

Growing0ldDisgracefully Wed 28-Aug-19 13:17:12

Thank you ladies for your responses so far. It's not the Niff, more the Noise (and frequency) which is my worry. I'll experiment with the suggested tablets before my few days away. Maybe I should get my friend some ear plugs ....

MissAdventure Wed 28-Aug-19 13:19:31

smile
I hope you find something that works, for both your sakes.

HurdyGurdy Wed 28-Aug-19 13:24:41

Take a dog with you then you can blame Fido.

I fall into the silent but deadly camp, so I have mastered the art of wrinkling my nose and looking accusingly at others wink

WOODMOUSE49 Wed 28-Aug-19 14:59:45

If you want to get rid of the wind a bit quicker, I recommend an hour's pilates or yoga by yourself.

You won't stop till you've emptied. smile blush flowers

EllanVannin Wed 28-Aug-19 15:01:38

A kite !

Nerves can cause it, especially during the build-up of an appointment/meeting or even meeting friends.

Swallow less air when you eat

Willow500 Wed 28-Aug-19 16:13:13

Eat and drink slowly and not to excess. Windeze are pretty good but probably nothing will work while you're asleep - just hope she's already asleep before you! Personally I'd pay the extra and have a separate room or you'll spend the time in agony!

Barmeyoldbat Wed 28-Aug-19 16:22:43

Maybe you could be used for green energy, we could call it Bum Power. Don't worry about the noise, just look at the person next to you and blame them

sharon103 Wed 28-Aug-19 16:29:00

lol grin
Activated charcoal capsules are a natural remedy to a bloated stomach and excess wind which can be uncomfortable and a little embarrassing at times especially after eating. They work by absorbing excess gas from within your gut to relieve flatulence and feelings of fullness.

travelsafar Wed 28-Aug-19 16:59:43

I second charcoal tablets. smile

TerriBull Wed 28-Aug-19 17:28:13

Get a cat or a dog and blame them grin

I was at a gathering a while ago, unbeknown to many of the guests, there was a flatulent dog in our midst, not all had rumbled him. I kept moving away from certain people who I thought the smell could have been emanating from", whilst simultaneous hoping no one would think it was me. Just who farts like that when they are standing around quaffing wine and nibbles" I thought to myself. I think several of us kept moving around the room at quite an alarming rate to get away from the foulness shock Even said to my lovely step daughter at one time "I thought maybe it was you" her riposte "I can tell you mine never smell like that cos I'm vegetarian, those belong to a foul meat eater" grin

The dog was eventually "outed" as the culprit. All lovely he was on the outside, but when he dropped one shock well OMG it was bad!

Growing0ldDisgracefully Wed 28-Aug-19 17:30:36

Ha ha to the rascally replies !?
Will pop (parp?) along to the chemists for the suggested remedies. Him Indoors suggested a Cork, and has offered to loan me out to the bus company to help run their bio buses. If the need arises I will try accusing my friend, as the nearest person to me overnight, but I suspect she'll will smell a rat, so to speak....
It was her idea to go on this particular venture and share a room and because of a tale too involved to go into here, we've had to postpone once already, involving her in additional expense so I'm paying for the accommodation and the cost of 2 separate rooms would be too much.
I may just 'fess up before we go, and maybe she'll reveal a similar tendency - you never know! ?

Fennel Wed 28-Aug-19 17:55:30

Terribull a vivid childhood memory -
We lived with my grandparents during WW2. Grandpa was a real character - he had some friends in for some reason, I was there. There was a terrible smell, and Grandpa shouted "Get out Simon" , who was our Airedale terrier. But Simon wasn't there !

notentirelyallhere Wed 28-Aug-19 17:59:27

It was suggested to me that dairy might be a problem because as we get older apparently a high proportion of us become lactose intolerant. I use lactose free milk in tea and have given up cheese and the wind has gone apart from recently when I was given onion soup by a friend for lunch! Not good.

annep1 Wed 28-Aug-19 18:55:09

I expect you're in single beds so I would warn her and try to get rid of it in one go. Don't eat foods like high fibre veg etc. Maybe something that will help you go to the loo and hopefully get rid of it like milk of magnesia.

BradfordLass72 Wed 28-Aug-19 21:40:57

'Fess up and present her with an aerosol of room deodoriser. smile

Fatty foods and spices never made me gassy, although I very rarely eat them anyway, but wheat certainly did.

I concur with the charcoal, which no doubt you have by now but also try acidophilus bifidus capsule as they produce the good bacteria which helps stomach, intestine and bowel to cope with the things which are making you gassy. They also balance those innards, helping them to be healthier.

When you get home, try eliminating wheat for a week or 10 days, substitute gluten free if you wish (but be aware that too can make some people gassy and bloated) and see if that makes a difference.

Might be a good idea to keep a food diary for a week or so, particularly of the things you've eaten 5-6 hours before bedtime.

As we age, all our digestive processes work more slowly and a bit inefficiently, like the rest of us, so a little help from a natural remedy or two is always a good thing.

Elegran Wed 28-Aug-19 22:01:58

Try some pre-bed exercises while enthroned on the loo. Lean as far forwards as you can, then lean well back, repeat that rhythmically for ten times, then lean to the left and to the right ten times, then twist your upper body sideways to the right and left. Repeat the whole exercise for as long as it sems reasonable to hog the bathroom.

This should shift it a lot of it down a bit and get rid of it before you settle down for the night. With any luck, your friend will be asleep before any more erupts. You could possibly have another session later on if you are awake and can be bothered getting up out of your warm bed.

Chewbacca Wed 28-Aug-19 22:06:11

Peppermint tea helps the digestive processes and eases the build up of wind.

cornergran Wed 28-Aug-19 22:12:28

Gluten is the culprit for me. I’ve been out this evening and succumbed to food coated in very nice gluten containing batter. Mr C is debating whether to batter me grin. Acidophilus helped for a while sadly no longer. I’ll try charcoal, would be pleased if the wind died down from a gale to a gentle breeze. Enjoy your trip growingold, try not to worry too much, I find being overly anxious makes it worse.

CanadianGran Wed 28-Aug-19 22:28:01

Also try probiotic supplements. For a period of a few months I noticed I had bad gas, especially when I exercised. Nothing worse than having to plan to stay at the back of the aerobics class for a quick escape! It was terrible, and I figured since nothing had changed in my diet, that perhaps something had changed in my body.
I started supplements and they seemed to have balanced out any disorder. I still do have gas, but at least do not have to worry about posting Hazardous Gases warnings!

notentirelyallhere Wed 28-Aug-19 22:29:22

I'd second those pointing to wheat/gluten. I tested negative for gluten at the GP but she said that didn't mean that I wasn't sensitive to wheat. I largely avoid wheat now as well as dairy which limits the diet but helps with the wind.
It might be worth checking this out with your Doctor.

sallyc06 Thu 29-Aug-19 09:38:01

Nothing really works, just make an excuse to leave the room, especially for the earth shattering ones!!