What's the biggest you've ever seen?

H1954 Tue 10-Sep-19 10:41:30

Sitting enjoying my morning tea and I heard a strange rustling sound. Thinking it may be a creature in the garden border, which is almost directly under the window, I cautiously moved to take a look. Nothing in the garden but the sound was being made by THE BIGGEST SPIDER I've ever seen as it scurried up the blackout lining on the curtains! It was huge, had knobbly knees, goggly eyes and was wearing clogs! 😱

Teetime Tue 10-Sep-19 10:54:54

DH calls them all Cedric and makes a pet of them!

midgey Tue 10-Sep-19 10:54:54

There’s a whopper that lives under our stairs!😕

Pantglas1 Tue 10-Sep-19 11:22:14

Ours are called Fred, Teetime! Funnily enough we only have them in Wales, never seen one in our Spanish home.

WOODMOUSE49 Tue 10-Sep-19 11:42:51

H1954 shock shock grin

Priceless! Love it.

Sara65 Tue 10-Sep-19 11:46:44

Massive phobia for me, nervous wreck at this time of year. Just got my husband to do a search of the ladies loos at work, just in case!

Maybelle Tue 10-Sep-19 11:53:45

We have a big spider living in the garage. DH calls it Sidney.

I stroked it by accident one day !

Putting my hand on the light switch to turn the light on and it was sitting on the switch, wasn't tell you what I called it then . . .

Sara65 Tue 10-Sep-19 11:55:48

Maybelle

I’d have fainted!

Maggiemaybe Tue 10-Sep-19 12:03:07

Was I the only one lured in by the title? blush

annsixty Tue 10-Sep-19 12:25:31

No Maggiemaybe
For a few months we had one living in our downstairs loo.
It was enormous, we never saw it during the day but at night when the light was put on it would be sitting on the waste pipe and would dash through the space where the pipe went into the cavity wall.
Visitors ,along with family , would say, “ I’m just going to see the spider”.
We never did give it a name.

Sara65 Tue 10-Sep-19 12:28:24

You are all completely mad! How could you live in a house with those things lurking?

Oopsminty Tue 10-Sep-19 12:28:25

Ditto Maggiemaybe!

EllanVannin Tue 10-Sep-19 12:46:24

They do seem to be at their biggest at this time of the year----fattening up for their winter hibernation, somewhere. They don't scurry across the floor, they march !

I call them all Harry after the advert from years ago. Harry the spider's " coming out party ".

MissAdventure Tue 10-Sep-19 12:52:51

I absolutely hate spiders - petrified of them.

Years ago, working night shifts in a residential home, I had to go and fetch one of the residents to deal with a huge, grey, furry spider that was lurking in the kitchen sink.

Sara65 Tue 10-Sep-19 13:14:17

MissAdventure

I feel your fear!

SueDonim Tue 10-Sep-19 13:26:16

Oh dear lord, I wish I hadn't opened this thread. shockI'm currently sitting in a campervan in the middle of nowhere in Australia, which has, as I am sure you all know, the vilest, most poisonous, most loathsome creatures in the world, including those with an unnecessary eight legs!

And now, I've got to go outside in the dark to 'visit the facilities'. If I never post again on GN, farewell, dear friends!

Carillion01 Tue 10-Sep-19 13:27:57

I've got a bit better about them. When we lived in the Scottish Borders they were monsters. They always appeared if DH had gone to bed and I was still up watching TV. One night one that was huge strode across the carpet and I needed stilts to get out of the lounge to get to bed.

Since coming to Brittany (5 years ago today!) the spiders hold few fears. They're whispy, pathetic little things, it's the mice and stag beetles that are stalking me now 😱😱😱

Callistemon Tue 10-Sep-19 13:31:45

SueDonim I'm 'out bush' too, not seen a big one yet but I have seen some huge ones previously.
I saw a cricket which was about 5" long today, luckily it was on the outside of the door!

Buffybee Tue 10-Sep-19 13:35:47

They're all trying to get into the house at this time of year, not that it bothers me, I just catch them, (pint glass with paper slid under method) and take them as far down the garden as possible.
They're soon back though!
I always call them Freddie, from when my children were small.
I had one a few years ago who I couldn't catch as he would lurk near the ceiling. Arriving home in the dark, I put on the light and he was sat just above the switch, cringing.
I said, "Oh, sorry Freddie", and walked past him, then had a word with myself about being a bit crazy, talking to a spider. grin

H1954 Tue 10-Sep-19 13:35:54

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣 I'm loving this! And can just imagine what was crossing a few minds when they read the title! 🤗👀🕷🕷🕷

Sussexborn Tue 10-Sep-19 13:43:17

I thought I was rescuing spiders by taking them outside. OH now tells me that the colder weather will kill them.

We’ve had a monster one in the bath for several days. Bit of a nuisance having to use the shower instead.

The Practice Manager I worked with took her phobia to the extreme. She was terrified that the spiders had laid eggs in the supply cupboards and the baby spiders would run amok! She was supposed to check the stock levels but couldn’t bring herself to do so.

MadeInYorkshire Tue 10-Sep-19 13:45:24

I don't mind them, but couldn't touch one!

We have one called Hugh (meaning Huge!) Sounds just like yours H1964 I keep putting him out and he keeps coming back in to just sit in the sink all day? I live in an old cottage and seem to get loads of cobwebs, but very rarely do I actually see the spiders ... weird ....

Callistemon Tue 10-Sep-19 13:54:34

You know what Incy Wincy does - gets washed down the water spout but climbs up again!

Farmor15 Tue 10-Sep-19 14:05:14

You do know that if you find one in the bath and wash it down the drain, it will climb back up and look at you through the overflow next time you’re having a bath 🛀😀

Pudding123 Tue 10-Sep-19 14:26:42

OMG I am terrified of them,not frightened of wasps or any other creatures but the way they move makes me shriek,yesterday I was in the phone to my friend who is a lady gardener and whom I thought was above such nonsense let out a scream as there on the settee she had got up from 2 minutes earlier sat biggest brown spider .I think we need therapy !!

pinkquartz Tue 10-Sep-19 14:29:34

Septemeber seems to be spider month.
I have not seen one that big OP . Thank goodness

Sara65 Tue 10-Sep-19 14:40:52

My husband goes to Germany two or three times a year, one conference falls in September, so he’s not allowed to go, they all think it’s hilarious

3dognight Tue 10-Sep-19 14:47:43

My dogs are trained to catch and dispatch spiders!

Sara65 Tue 10-Sep-19 14:55:06

I was told cats caught them, not ours!

GrandmaKT Tue 10-Sep-19 15:01:34

I wonder why they are in some areas and not others? I saw some whoppers when we were staying in Southampton recently, but here by the NW coast I've never seen any half the size.

When DH was a lad, his first job was working for BT (or whatever they were called in those days). He had to shin up telephone poles and check junction boxes. Once he was at the top of a particularly tall one, opened the box and an enormous spider launched itself at him! He fell several feet, but was saved by his harness. He's never been keen on spiders since and it is me who has to escort them outside!

Nonnie Tue 10-Sep-19 15:26:52

DH likes to leave food for them, they never eat it! He always names them, nearest he gets to a pet. grin

Nandalot Tue 10-Sep-19 15:36:17

We seem to be big spider central this year. Findat least one or two a day. Found granddaughter standing on toilet seat screaming as one had surprised her in the bathroom. We used to call them ‘Boris’ (Who fans will know why) but are having to think of an alternative now.

Scentia Tue 10-Sep-19 16:26:01

I love spiders in the house as they kill all the flies, my DH makes it his mission to put them all outside. I watched the other day as he carefully place a large one just outside the patio door and it very soon scurried through the open window next to the door. I didn’t tell him😂 it is getting cold and they need to keep warm 💕

lemongrove Tue 10-Sep-19 16:43:45

‘Tis the season.....
I met a huge black house spider that was pottering along the corridor the other day, and another was clinging to my dressing gown ( I wasn’t wearing it, it was hung up!)
Where were these guys when we had flies in July and August?

MissAdventure Tue 10-Sep-19 16:46:49

Surely they'd only catch flies if they built a big web?
Ugh!

NanTheWiser Tue 10-Sep-19 16:51:40

Oh yes, this is the time of year when big house spiders make their presence felt! But they are HOUSE spiders - tegenaria domesticum and their habitat is inside, not outside! The big 'uns are usually females, at this time of year the males will go in search of her in the hope of mating.

I had a HUGE one scuttle across the hearth last week, but thankfully they don't bother me, I'm just thankful they keep other bugs down.

They certainly seem bigger this year.

MissAdventure Tue 10-Sep-19 16:54:20

Oh please don't say that! shock
It makes me all quivery!

Auntieflo Tue 10-Sep-19 17:14:45

We had this one looking at me a few days ago, by the back door
Ours are all called Fred, but don't usually make themselves known until October, when they just suddenly appear in the middle of the carpet.

MissAdventure Tue 10-Sep-19 17:38:43

Aaaarrgghh!
That's horrible!

Why has it got one extra long leg at the front?!

It makes me feel queasy.

BBbevan Tue 10-Sep-19 17:44:55

Gosh I misread the title. Nearly put my weight 😳

annsixty Tue 10-Sep-19 17:48:16

Well I could tell all but as I am a "lady"
I will keep it to myself.

MamaCaz Tue 10-Sep-19 17:54:03

It is unnerving when you actually hear their footsteps as they cross the room!
I used a beer glass to catch one on Sunday, and its legs barely fitted in the space - I could hear it knocking on the sides of the glass, trying to escape, as i carried it out (ok, I might have imagined that bit). grin

Ngaio1 Tue 10-Sep-19 17:54:11

I have to admit that the words "Actress" and Bishop" dis spring to mind!!

annodomini Tue 10-Sep-19 18:07:58

In Kenya we had 'wall spiders' which were about the size of my hand, but were harmless except to mosquitos, so were quite welcome to live in my house - or at least in the spare room.

Coolgran65 Tue 10-Sep-19 18:17:15

A couple of weeks ago we had a massive one sitting at the inside garage window, so much so that I took a picture of it.... from the outside... hence the poor quality of the pic taken through the not very often washed garage window.

MissAdventure Tue 10-Sep-19 18:23:03

AAAAARRRRGHHH! NOO!
That's monstrous!

Sara65 Tue 10-Sep-19 18:35:17

I really really wish I had never looked at this thread, I’m a bag of nerves, I won’t be back!

agnurse Tue 10-Sep-19 18:43:31

We lived in Brazil when I was 12.

I am not sure you want to know how big some of the spiders were.

maddyone Tue 10-Sep-19 18:50:42

We have one that lives under the piece of furniture in the corner. Around nine pm it marches out and marches straight across the floor, no shame, straight in front of us. I don’t know where it goes other than into the next room, but the next evening it appears from under the furniture again. This has been going on for several years, always in the autumn/winter time. The present one must be the great, great, great, great, great, grandchild of the original.

Years ago, our cats used to catch them and crunch them, but we’re a catless family now, and anyway during his last few years our last cat just lazily watched them, but couldn’t be bothered to move, let alone catch and crunch them.

MamaCaz Tue 10-Sep-19 19:05:30

Is it true that they serve us very well in helping to keep down the numbers of more troublesome house pests?
I heard that somewhere, and have seen spiders in a much better light ever since smile

Auntieflo Tue 10-Sep-19 19:36:59

MissA, in answer to your question, I think it's for him/her to wave to us as she gaily goes about her business.🕷

MissAdventure Tue 10-Sep-19 19:39:12

grin
You're mean.. I know I'm a wimp. grin

Farmor15 Tue 10-Sep-19 20:11:47

Dave Allen on spider in the bath:
www.facebook.com/103858572998400/videos/2148467371945588/

sassenach512 Tue 10-Sep-19 21:01:02

I'd been having a lovely leisurely bath, reading my book and sipping a chilled glass of wine. As I got out and the water drained away, the most enormous spider floated by and disappeared down the plug hole. I can only think it must have been hiding behind the bath pillow I use and slipped in with me shock
I invested in one of those boxes on a stick with a sliding door to catch the little burgers, I haven't the heart to squish them (live and let live and all that), even though I'm scared to death of them but I never want to share my bath with one again!

Willow500 Tue 10-Sep-19 22:10:34

Some years ago our previous neighbour was heard to shout 'John - MASSIVE spider'!! Since then they've all been called John grin I don't like them but don't kill them and also have one of the long handled trapdoor catchers so they get removed and deposited outside.

Wasps on the other hand I'm terrified of! At the beginning of the summer I had to go into the loft for something. As soon as I put my head through the hatch I heard buzzing and saw something flying at the other side of the loft. I was out that hatch and had the ladder back up so fast I nearly fell down the stairs and told my husband I was sure we must have a nest up there so wouldn't be going back. Last week we needed something out of there so I made him go - shut all the bedroom doors and opened the front door just in case and stood prepared for flight as he gingerly pushed the hatch up. Nothing materialised thank goodness but I'm still not convinced so the C********s tree might be a bit sparse this year unless someone else goes up there to get the decorations down shock

MissAdventure Tue 10-Sep-19 22:12:39

Oh I just watched a video on that Facebook link.

Some gigantic, awful spiders!

harrigran Tue 10-Sep-19 22:32:20

I was watching TV one night and I caught sight of something black out of the corner of my eye, when I turned it was a ginormous spider sitting on the sofa cushion beside me. I leapt into the air and shot across the room, DH got the sucky up thing but the spider was too big to go in 😱

Hetty58 Tue 10-Sep-19 23:29:59

A lady at work knitted us all 'spider ladders' for our baths. I said 'Thanks' but gave it to a friend as I have no problem catching them to take outside. It's wasps that terrify me!

agnurse Wed 11-Sep-19 00:30:07

In response to a PP - not all spiders spin webs. There are species that don't. In Brazil, where some spiders are venomous, we were told that as a general rule, spiders that spin webs aren't toxic to humans. They don't need venom as the web does the work. Spiders that don't spin webs tend to be venomous, as that's their main weapon against prey. (For example, the Brazilian wandering spider is very venomous, and I don't think they spin webs. There are exceptions to this rule, though - Australia has a species called the Sydney funnel web, which spins a web but is one of the deadliest extant spider species due to its venom.)

Hubby deals with the spiders in our house, but they are usually pretty small. I think Alberta does occasionally have some venomous spiders, most commonly the black widow, but they aren't very common. Our cats are pretty good at dispatching most household pests. Hubby once said to me, "Jayda has found a spider. I think she's going to eat it." (Struck me as funny, just the way he said it. I'm not sure why.) My kid once brought Gatsby into the bathroom to dispatch a small moth, which he proceeded to do and apparently enjoyed eating.

BradfordLass72 Wed 11-Sep-19 04:45:48

Our largest spider has an outstretched leg length, toe to toe of about 8 inches.
Delena cancerides, also known as the Avondale Spider, even has a celebratory sculpture in Avondale itself.

Davida1968 Wed 11-Sep-19 09:06:46

Compared with some countries our spiders are nothing to worry about! There's one that lives in our en-suite and I call it Boris. (Not named after the PM - it's named for the Who song: "Boris the Spider".) I admit to putting larger spiders outside , but I can live with smaller ones in the house. I would never, ever, kill a spider in the UK; overseas might be different!

sallyc06 Wed 11-Sep-19 10:25:49

There was one so big in the bedroom, I don't know how he went up the vacuum!!

BusterTank Wed 11-Sep-19 10:36:09

I live in the country and we have had some whopper this year . We call them all Boris . When they hit floor they make a right thud , my husband says they are wearing clobb hammer boots . I have mutual agree with the one who lives in my chicken feed bin . I leave him alone and he leaves me alone .

SuzyWoo1957 Wed 11-Sep-19 10:39:06

Try putting conkers on your shelves and in the corners. Spiders 🕷 don’t like conkers

Theoddbird Wed 11-Sep-19 10:39:16

Sounds like a harvest spider. Harmless and simple to catch with a glass over card under.

Nannan2 Wed 11-Sep-19 10:40:56

My 4 sons all dislike spiders.(must be a man- thing maybe?) At least eldest catches them but other 3 (30,20,16) all have someone else go get 'em! And no,i have no softy qualms about killing em!grin Still make me shriek in alarm if they pop up right next to me though.shock

jaylucy Wed 11-Sep-19 10:44:18

We used to have a huge one that used to run across our lounge floor at 10.30 pm every evening. We called him Cyril. I found his remains a while ago when I moved the sofa to vacuum.
The biggest I have ever seen was when I lived in Oz and the Huntsman spiders used to come in the house.
Went to check on my baby son in the early hours and there was tis ginormous spider on the ceiling above the cot. Moved bub into my bed and got the vacuum out - this thing was so big, it barely fit down the pipe and it hung on to stop itself going down the hose! I turn the hose round and put it so it was sucking the floor , and I swear I heard the creature bumping its way along the hose!
Moved the vacuum , which was bagless, out to the back door by the laundry and poked the end of the hose out through a corner of the screen door so if it was still alive, could go out of the house! Made OH empty vacuum the next day that was luckily the day the garbos came round!

polnan Wed 11-Sep-19 10:45:30

oh gosh, haven`t read all the posts here,, I soooooo shudder at spiders, I am trying to overcome this.. I can usually sense if one is in the room with me...

I do conkers, think it works,, need some new conkers.... ugh!
even seeing photos/pictures of them,, I just do not look at them

clogs on spiders? ARGH!!! I`ve gone

annsixty Wed 11-Sep-19 10:45:52

Very Sceptical about the conkers but we had a caravan in N Wales and we had lots, particularly in the boiler cupboard.
I gathered lots of fresh conkers and put them on every windowsill and lots around the boiler, it worked but I think they need to be fresh.

jaylucy Wed 11-Sep-19 10:47:24

Oh, and I used to get home from nights out in the early hours , throw back the bedclothes to get in the bed, to find my sister had very kindly put a spider in my bed, hiding under an upside down cup !!!

marpau Wed 11-Sep-19 10:49:15

We have some very large ones here in the Scottish borders all are called Boris. I tend to leave them alone but do remove any nests.

Nannan2 Wed 11-Sep-19 10:52:32

Also ditto maggiemaybe.lol.

Nannan2 Wed 11-Sep-19 10:53:22

Never heard of the conkers thing!

sophieschoice Wed 11-Sep-19 10:57:40

My mum was told by her mum "If you want to live and thrive let a spider run alive"
I always stuck to this, but they are very big this year,ugh!!!!

olliebeak Wed 11-Sep-19 10:58:48

Davida1968 and BusterTank - we're another household where there's a Boris who lives quite happily alongside us ........... and Yes! other half is a Who fan wink. www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWpz2OYf1QU

sue01 Wed 11-Sep-19 10:59:43

I'm terrified of them too.

Several years ago I won a competition, the first prize for which was a holiday in Oz.

Our base was a gorgeous house - on stilts - in Byron Bay.

When we arrived, a chap mowing the lawn let us in.

In the bathroom was the biggest spider I have ever seen in my life ! Truly as big as the palm of my hand.

DH went out and got the chap mowing the lawn... who removed the Huntsman Spider using a leather gauntlet and a spatula to knock it into a metal bucket.

As he left he suggested if I didn't like spiders - or snakes - not to look under the stilts of the house.

Nightmare !

Saggi Wed 11-Sep-19 11:00:44

The film ‘Arachnophobia’ has a lot to answer for!
Live and let live here. My husband has a weird phobia about them..... I just pick them up and put them outside. Not this time of year as you can kill house spiders by doing that!

Lupin Wed 11-Sep-19 11:03:00

I am not normally scared of spiders and can pick them up in a cloth and put them outside. I really don't want to kill them, BUT, I once lifted the lid on a compost bin to deal with the leaves within and I threw the lid and screamed. It was enormous. Retrieved the lid, put it back on and didn't go near the bin for three years. When I had to the spider had moved house.

Daffydilly Wed 11-Sep-19 11:04:51

Back when my boys were small, we were adopted by a huge spider called Boris. Most nights he'd wander out from behind the TV or bookcase, have a mosey around, then wander back. He was so big he was less scary than some of the smaller, scuttly ones.

At the same time, my boys had a Tomy train set which was kept under the stairs in a big holdall. One morning we found Boris squished under the bag, quite dead. The boys were heartbroken, a clear case of being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Poor Boris, RIP.

Guineagirl Wed 11-Sep-19 11:06:22

I was lured by the title lol. I seem to get these weird pin head spiders with very long legs they seem to build a one line web and just sit there. The hoover gets them just nicely though but sometimes they struggle ugh.

A few years ago we had a door moved and I never saw it but my daughter killed it she said it was as big as a coaster, it must of come in overnight whilst any holes weren’t blocked yet.

mokryna Wed 11-Sep-19 11:07:54

My blood runs cold when I see one but I was ok reading your comments until some of you posted PHOTOS! How could you! I found one in the car the other day, I think it got in with my DGS's camping bag when collected him from his scouts' week. Well that was in July, since then I have travelled to England, Scotland and back 4,200 klms before it showed its self. Vacuumed the car all over but didn't see it. Sprayed the car and left it over night. What do I see when I opened the door the following morning, it on my seat! Young postman arrived at that moment, asked him to help remove it, sure said he laughing. Didn't he jump when it moved!

Laurensnan Wed 11-Sep-19 11:11:45

I had a few ones running across the living room over the past 3 weeks. I'm petrified of them. Hubby gets the spider and takes it down the garden. I'm not sure if it's the same one getting back in. I've read that September is bad differ wise as the male spiders are hunting for a mate. I hoping it'll calm down soon as I'm a nervous wreck 😂

jacalpad Wed 11-Sep-19 11:14:16

I am terrified of the horrible things. I can cope with almost any other insects, large or small!
The family never let me forget the day I found an ENORMOUS spider on my dressing gown in the bathroom. I ran past it, shut the door and wedged a towel along the bottom of the door (so it could not leave the bathroom). I then rang my husband, in a state of hysteria, and begged him to come home and ‘get’ it. He was very kind and was home within five minutes - he works very close by. Even he was horrified by the size of the creature, but he did put it outside. I feel very silly, but I really am terrified of them. blush shock

Laurensnan Wed 11-Sep-19 11:14:29

Spider wise I meant not differ .

WOODMOUSE49 Wed 11-Sep-19 11:21:30

Have to post again.

Last night we left some glasses by the sink. I've just washed them.

I pick glasses up by fingers inside, thumb outside. Felt something on my finger! Quickly put glass in the water and out floated a monster of a spider.

Sitting now with strong coffee, recovering. Spider got washed down the plug hole.

monkeebeat Wed 11-Sep-19 11:24:59

The only good spider is a dead spider.
Its only saving grace is it is a delicious part of the food chain for some other animal.
What good does it do? Even catches and kills our pollinators!

Annaram1 Wed 11-Sep-19 11:35:55

I have lived in several countries including South Africa where they have the big rain spiders. I have also spent time in the West Indies where I saw pink kneed tarantulas. I also spent 3 days in the Equidorean Amazon rainforest and saw a small spider on the outside of the window mesh in my cabin, which I knocked off from the inside. Otherwise I saw no spiders there. My son went to Peru and took a guided night time hike in the rainforest and the light on his headband shone on hundreds of little sparkly lights everywhere he looked. These were the eyes of spiders.
But the biggest spiders I have ever seen were in Southampton where I lived for a time in an old flat. The loo was outside and the first time I visited it and closed the door I was faced with an enormous spider sitting on the door just looking at me. I never dared close the door again. I think it was a cardinal spider.
In my present 215 year old flat I get quite a lot of spiders, mostly daddy long legs and other small ones. I can deal with these but the other night I had an enormous monster in my hall., coming from the kitchen. I ran for my biggest spider jar and when I got back she was gone. Spent a long time in the kitchen looking for it without success. An hour later when I was going to bed thinking I would never dare sleep I spotted it against a skirting board and was able to catch it and released it again next morning. My neighbour told me she had had a huge spider in her sitting room next evening. It was probably the same one. I am petrified another might come in.

Juliet27 Wed 11-Sep-19 11:46:12

One was hiding in my rubber glove once. That was a nasty shock as I put it on.

Maggiemaybe Wed 11-Sep-19 11:47:08

I’d never kill a spider, not a non-venomous one anyway. They’re a force for good, keeping down the fly, flea, moth population in our homes, and cockroaches and mosquitoes in warmer countries.

Not that I can go near enough to a really big one to catch it. I just keep well back, shouting instructions to DH not to hurt it. smile

BeenBizzy Wed 11-Sep-19 11:49:26

Can't actually kill myself....... But this year has been awful. My dear husband who I lost a year ago always
removed these creatures...screaming no longer helps ..... However I thank goodness for my stick vac cleaner.
I can suck them up from a distance give them a spin and drop outside.
I have had 6 whoppers this autumn...... Have been wondering if they are returning for another go.

sunseeker Wed 11-Sep-19 11:50:03

Not posted on this thread before as I misread the title as "Whats the biggest youve ever BEEN" I refuse to answer that question!

Visiting family in Australia some time ago I got chatting to one of their friends who asked in a joking way why I would live in a country where it was so cold - I asked him why he would live in a country with spiders that can kill you!

I really don't like spiders at all - now I am on my own I have to be a bit braver and despite spraying around doors and windows with spider repellent still find them around the house. One night my alarm went off - I started down the stairs - baseball bat over my shoulder (no idea what I was going to do) only to find a very large spider had crawled across the motion sensor! That spider was sent to the spider after life!

sazz1 Wed 11-Sep-19 12:01:08

I never was scared of spiders but one fell out of my sister's loft she was clearing. I picked it up to put it outside and it bit my finger 3 times
Felt like a wasp sting. Nothing bad happened, over the course of a week the skin went hard and then peeled off. Don't pick them up anymore though.

NanaNeets Wed 11-Sep-19 12:07:01

Torch the garden!!! It’s his home now... burn it 😂

4allweknow Wed 11-Sep-19 12:11:22

I don't mind the ones with big long legs. It's the ones, quite small but can run faster than Usan Bolt that I don't like.

Craftycat Wed 11-Sep-19 12:12:20

Spiders in UK are not going to harm you!!
I used to be terrified of them but got it cured in about 15 mins by an NLP practitioner.
I love them now.

Newatthis Wed 11-Sep-19 12:18:27

We seem to be getting more than usual. My husband said that this time of year the very large males are looking for females and therefore are on a hunt. they're quite scary, even for someone like me who is not that afraid of spiders.

Jan66 Wed 11-Sep-19 12:19:13

Our youngest daughter alerted us to a massive one above the doorframe in the kitchen. My husband calls all the really big spiders 'Sir'. I tend to call them Sydney or Boris. It is currently mating season for spiders so we will no doubt see plenty of them in our homes.

TrendyNannie6 Wed 11-Sep-19 12:23:34

So disappointed when I realised you were talking about spiders hehe

Avor2 Wed 11-Sep-19 12:41:28

Our pet spider is Eric he has great fun being chased by the dogs Monty and Smithy, they never catch him.

nannypiano Wed 11-Sep-19 13:18:06

I reached for my dressing gown one morning, hanging on the bathroom door. The biggest spider I have ever seen ran down it and fell to the ground. It was so big it made a thump noise as it hit the floor, even though it fell on carpet. I chased it, but it ran under my bed. I have never stopped looking for it. The thought of it running over me when I'm asleep terrifies me.