Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Do you overdo it?

(62 Posts)
H1954 Wed 11-Sep-19 13:10:24

Packing for a holiday and I've done the usual, select what I THINK I will take, then pack, unpack, repack, unpack, repack, weigh the case, decide I've packed too much, unpack................. decide to check the weather forecast, pack an item "just in case" re-select items, check what matches, eliminate certain odd items, find room in OH case and fill his up too!

How do you do yours?

Calendargirl Wed 11-Sep-19 13:12:31

DH does the packing.

Feelingmyage55 Wed 11-Sep-19 13:16:42

With difficulty. If I know that I can wash and dry even a few items, lightweight tops etc it is much easier but otherwise I don’t sleep the night before departure worrying. I now email to check if towels are provided and try to see if there is a ladder radiator in the bathroom. One of the most difficult aspects is trying to work out how “dressy” I need to be for the evening meal. Just hoping this tread offers some tips.

Nonnie Wed 11-Sep-19 13:25:35

Yes, all of that especially now we are retired and have more time! However I pack both suitcases with some of his and some of mine. Having had suitcases go missing I always think that we could manage with just one for a few days if we had to.

Blinko Wed 11-Sep-19 14:06:51

I get everything I think I might possibly require out and hang it all round the spare bedroom walls. Then leave things for a day or two while my subconscious ponders. Then put at least half of it back in the wardrobe...

I did forget to pack knickers once and had to scour Port Madoc in the rain on a Sunday for a knicker shop that was open. Not what I'd planned at all.

GrannyGravy13 Wed 11-Sep-19 14:12:30

Nonnie that is what I do, half and half.

I can easily travel hand luggage only for a city break, for up to a week in the summer, but not the winter (jumpers, boots and jackets take up a lot of room).

My problem is when we go long haul, I am away before Christmas with a 64Kg. luggage allowance for each of us, I have "mentally packed" every night this week!!!

DoraMarr Wed 11-Sep-19 14:13:06

Well, I have to say I’m an expert- and minimalist- packer. I usually travel by train, which means loading my own bags on and off, so I pack light. I have a carry- on suitcase with four wheels, a tote bag that slots over the handle, and a cross- body bag. The suitcase contains my clothes, one extra pair of shoes and toothbrush and toothpaste, and my tote bag contains makeup bag ( whittled down to essentials) i-pad, charger and earphones, notebook and pencil, printouts of tickets, a pashmina, or cardigan, spare socks and knickers, a limited first aid kit, tissues, and wetwipes. My cross-body bag contains passport, two purses with different currencies, card holder, reading glasses and sunglasses, phone, tissues and essential medication. I’ve always managed to pack enough for ten to twelve day trips, never wash things out in the hotel room, although I have occasionally, on longer trips, used the laundry service. I don’t pack toiletries ( I use the hotels’,) nightwear, or anything I might need “just in case.” For my trip to Bordeaux in October I’m wearing a dress, light padded coat, leggings and boots to travel in (2 days, with a night in London) and because it will be warm there I’m packing two cotton dresses and a linen jumpsuit, and a pair of tennis shoes, and a long sleeved slightly heavier cotton dress for the return journey. I will have to pack a couple of nighties because I’m sharing a house with my mother and sister. I’ll have enough room for a good bottle or two of Bordeaux and some nice French skincare!

annep1 Wed 11-Sep-19 14:29:18

I always come back with at least half the items unworn. I'm 68 and I've never managed to conquer this.
I do the same with the caravan. I have clothes just for the caravan which I leave there and I still lug half my wardrobe back and forward.

Nansnet Wed 11-Sep-19 14:31:26

I really wish that I could travel lightly but, no matter how hard I try, I can't seem to manage it! On a recent 2 week trip, I had my full luggage allowance, which included lots of 'just in case' clothes, but I probably only used about a quarter of what I took! And the toiletries! ... Oh my goodness, they weigh so heavy, but I hate not being able to take my own shampoo, conditioner, shower gel, etc! I know I really need to cut down. My whole family always complain about how much I take with me. I know I'll never wear it all, but when you have a certain luggage allowance, why bother to trying to cram things into a smaller suitcase if you can take a large one and fill it ... and have choices?!wink I'm really going to make an effort to cut down for my next trip ...

Grannyknot Wed 11-Sep-19 14:35:23

Nope, I have a list on my bedside table in the weeks before going away, where I plan outfits depending on where we are going weatherwise, I then pack accordingly, never leave anything behind, travel light and amaze people wherever we go smile. I once went to South Africa for 3 weeks with a cabin bag ...okay, it was mostly full of shorts and t-shirts!

Witzend Wed 11-Sep-19 14:41:57

Make sure I have everything washed/ironed etc. the day before, other stuff e.g. sun cream, beach shoes for shingle, meds., ticked off list and put on spare bed. I pack the night before unless we're leaving late, in which case I do it in the morning.

I don't think I've ever repacked! I only ever take a fairly small suitcase but it's always been plenty.

Dh does his in about 20 mins - after lots of business trips he has it down to a fine art - and only ever takes a carry-on if we're flying, no matter how long he's going for. He'd like me to do ditto, to save hanging around baggage carousels, but I put my foot down ages ago.

Grammaretto Wed 11-Sep-19 14:50:13

I have to make a list and stick to it.
It's usually strict because I am on trains and buses without help.
Like Heidi I wear my heavy clothes.
I have managed a month camping in NZ with hand luggage only. (Smug smile) but I had to buy a bag out there for all the things I brought home.
If my bag is too big, I take too much.

BBbevan Wed 11-Sep-19 14:57:26

We even have to take special tooth filer and glue. In case our teeth or fillings fall out !!!!!!

H1954 Wed 11-Sep-19 15:25:11

BBbevan, I knew I'd forgotten something ??

M0nica Wed 11-Sep-19 15:40:23

Oh, I was expecting this thread to be about doing to much, not packing!

On packing, I usually have a list and aim to take as little as possible.

notentirelyallhere Wed 11-Sep-19 17:10:59

I thought it was a thread about doing too much too! I'm always doing too much.

I find it impossible to imagine what a different temperature to the one I am currently experiencing will be like. So I find it difficult to pack appropriate clothes for a holiday and often end up buying things while I am away (that can be fun of course but annoys my DH!)

So I pack lots of 'maybe' clothes and I especially do that if I'm holidaying in the UK.

love0c Wed 11-Sep-19 17:22:54

Absolutely hate packing!! Book a holiday and look forward to going. Then when we need to pack I always say 'whose idea was it to go on holiday?!

Judy54 Wed 11-Sep-19 17:25:48

I am with Grannyknot on this. I also do a list weeks before and plan what I am going to take usually things that can be mixed and matched and worn more than once. I find this works for me but then I do lists about everything! Sad or what?

JackyB Wed 11-Sep-19 17:55:53

I count on my fingers how many days I shall be staying. If it's under 6, I take a set of clothes for every day, maybe just 2 pairs of trousers. If it's more than 6, I still don't take any more than that, but wash whilst there.

I only wear plain colours (hate prints) and decide on a basic spectrum depending on the season. (My favourite is olive/cream in case anyone's interested. I like to add the odd bit of bright red or turquoise and then there's the indispensable black.)

Count out knickers, bras, socks and don't forget a nightie! I pack the night before I leave, or in the morning if departure is lunchtime or later. Toiletries go in the case - each in a small plastic bag, not in a sponge bag (too bulky) - as I use them the morning before, so nothing from the morning routine gets forgotten.

One pair of shoes other than the ones I'm travelling in. No slippers - go barefoot or wear socks. Exception: Plastic flip flops and 2 swimsuits if a pool is involved.

Toothbrush, comb, phone charger and spare knickers I always have in my handbag anyway. Thin windcheater and/or cardigan rolled up in a sock at the bottom of my backpack. Oh - and a small hand towel.

Gone are the days when I needed a list. Way back, when camping with 3 young children, I had a list. It was about 4 pages of A4!

Anyone counted how many threads we've had on this subject? There have been a lot of great tips along the way, some of which I have taken on board.

annodomini Wed 11-Sep-19 18:37:57

As I once turned up in Majorca with eleven tops for a week's holiday, it would be fair to say that I sometimes overdo my packing!

Coolgran65 Wed 11-Sep-19 22:40:37

I do the same as Blinko.

Put out everything that 'might'go.
Stick to basic colours i.e. navy, pale grey, taupe, white.
Make sure that everything goes with everything else.
All trousers except linens are ankle grazers.
Then pop in a few odds in a bright colour like, for example, fuschia linen trousers, pink linen peg trousers. A pink scarf and a different shade pink pashmina.
Couple of maxi dresses, with sleeves, that will do day or evening.
Sun hat and sun glasses etc.

Let it all sit/hang for a day or two.
Then.... if there are two similar items decide which one, or maybe you want both. Do this with each item.

I try every item on and don't skip on this. Make sure I'm satisfied it looks ok, it fits ok, it is comfortable. If not, don't take it. I don't want anythng that is not earning its space in the suitcase. I want to be able to pick up any item and know without doubt that it is wearable.

Shoes...
Clarks velcro comfy walking sandals - 1 pair dark pink that go with everything, and 1 pair pale grey that go with everything.
Pair shiny pewter leather FitFlops which go with everything.
Later on if I have room I may add white lace up plimsolls and/or a pair of flat navy leather comfies.

Roll each item up and pack. I don't worry cos I will probably unpack and pack again at least once. Check everything fits into my case and weigh it. Luggage weighing scales are worth their weight in gold and I take them on holiday with me so I can check that my case is not overweight for the flight home.

Now, if I have space in my case and am under baggage allowance, I'll have a look and anything I might take 'just in case' but often I don't add anything. I still have to add toiletries etc.

It is quite liberating to know that I don't have masses of clothes with me, but do know that every item will work with most other items.

By this time the sweat is blinding me, I feel confused so close the door and go to bed. Next time I look at it is with a fresh mind, it has all fallen into place. When everything is spread out on the bed or hanging around the room there is nothing that is lonely, that doesn't have several friends.

It's worth taking time and it gets easier, I can do this so much more easily that the first time.

BradfordLass72 Thu 12-Sep-19 06:15:41

I solved that problem years ago - I just don't go on holiday - simple grin

morethan2 Thu 12-Sep-19 07:09:27

I do it just like you op.

Hetty58 Thu 12-Sep-19 08:03:47

Wow! I keep things very simple and just take hand luggage and travel wash. No hanging about waiting for suitcases at the airport for me. I do take my own pillowcases though - allergies!

Blinko Thu 12-Sep-19 08:20:40

Yep, Coolgran, that's me. I aim for a co-ordinated 'capsule wardrobe'. Sometimes I actually achieve it smile