Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

How much would you expect to pay.........?

(26 Posts)
phoenix Tue 29-Oct-19 19:09:54

For house wine in a restaurant?

Evening all, and will be interested in your feed back on this one! smile

Yet again, I have been tasked with organising our Christmas "do", at a restaurant in a nearby town. If everyone goes, we will be a party of around 24.

We went there last year, food was very good, as was service and the menu is designed as sharing platters, (Italian) rather than that problematic pre ordering thing. Price per head was ok too.

But I was a bit shock at the price of the house wine!

So, bearing in mind that there is usually a mark up of around 100%, what would you expect to pay for common or garden house plonk?

GrannyGravy13 Tue 29-Oct-19 19:12:14

Anything between £18-25 I would think, but it does vary on the restaurant and how “good they think they are”!

BlueBelle Tue 29-Oct-19 19:13:46

Can’t everyone buy their own glass that’s how it works for our Christmas do

Missfoodlove Tue 29-Oct-19 19:20:57

Around £18.

Riverwalk Tue 29-Oct-19 19:21:06

The mark up is usually 300%.

I'd say around £25.

phoenix Tue 29-Oct-19 19:23:30

GrannyGravy it's not exactly Michelin starred! Nice food, but not high end. Set menu, bruschetta, salad, couple of pasta dishes, variety of pizzas other bits & bobs, brought out in large dishes so people help themselves to what they want.

BlueBelle last year we did food only, everyone paid for their own drinks. But as it's been a tough year and everyone has pulled together since the boss died, we thought we would go that extra bit.

Maggiemaybe Tue 29-Oct-19 19:27:00

I was out for a similar meal last night. The house wine was very acceptable and only £15 per bottle. I’d say that’s standard for hereabouts (West Yorkshire).

annsixty Tue 29-Oct-19 19:28:48

I would not expect to pay more than £18 for house wine but here in the North prices are cheaper.
In Wetherspoons a bottle of Harvey's red, quite drinkable, comes in at under £8.

KatyK Tue 29-Oct-19 19:35:53

Restaurants and so called posh pubs usually rip people off. We went to what you might call a gastro pub in the Lakes a while ago. We bought two medium glasses of Chardonnay, £9 each. We watched them being poured. It was the same wine we buy in Lidl for £3.69 a bottle.

KatyK Tue 29-Oct-19 19:36:36

Aldi not Lidl.

phoenix Tue 29-Oct-19 19:37:03

Hmm, thanks all for the responses.

It would seem that I'm rather out of touch blush They quoted £16.95, which both my colleague and I thought was quite expensive! The food will come to around £550, and we always tip well.

petra Tue 29-Oct-19 19:37:04

Phoenix
Can you not ask if there's a bit of wiggle room on the price of the wine. If you don't ask you don't get.

NotAGran55 Tue 29-Oct-19 19:54:13

A bit late here I see , but £18/£20 would be OK imho .

M0nica Tue 29-Oct-19 19:59:31

I tried to check some price list online, but theBeefeater and wetherspoons have removed prices from their online drinks list.

However The Harvester prces go from £10.50 to 21.50 with an average price of around £17.50

harrigran Tue 29-Oct-19 20:00:30

Fine dining restaurant in Durham a bottle of house wine is £19.50 and is by a good grower.
A decent restaurant will always serve a decent wine as a house wine because often their reputation depends on it.
I see you mentioned Italian food, sorry but Italian wines are not in the same class and you could be sold a pup at any price.

Daisymae Tue 29-Oct-19 20:28:21

Sounds very reasonable!

dragonfly46 Tue 29-Oct-19 20:51:57

I think that is reasonable.

Dolcelatte Tue 29-Oct-19 21:07:51

Definitely not expensive and the food sounds a good price too.

sodapop Tue 29-Oct-19 21:08:01

Yes that's a reasonable price in a restaurant I think

M0nica Tue 29-Oct-19 21:13:41

KatyK restaurants are not ripping you off. Did Lidl offer you a pelasant location, soft lights a table and chairs and an hour or more to drink your wine?

Restaurants have a higher overheads and staff ratios and restaurants like any business need to make a profit. They are not charities. They spread their mark-up across food and drink to make it most attractive to their customers. Customers tend to look at the meal menu to make a decision, so they limit their profits on the food and even it up on the drinks. Makes absolute sense to me.

phoenix Tue 29-Oct-19 21:22:15

All replies & comments appreciated and taken on board!

This will enable me to go back to the next meeting with some relevant info.

Mr P & I rarely eat out (he's too tired after getting up at 4.30am!) and the member of staff I gave the info to is teetotal.

Thank you to all.

Urmstongran Tue 29-Oct-19 21:55:06

About £17 for house.

Callistemon Tue 29-Oct-19 22:41:04

I suppose it does depend on what they offer as house wine.

Some is cheap plonk and some restaurants offer something quite reasonable.
We've paid between £14 and well over £20 for a house wine.
As there will be quite a number of you and you are eating too perhaps you could negotiate a reduction to say, £15 depending on what they're offering.

I think it varies in different areas, presumably London and other city prices would be higher.

Nortsat46 Wed 30-Oct-19 07:57:44

In London £20-25 for house wine, in an average Italian restaurant...
Others who frequent more ‘fine dining’ restaurants than we do, will have a different story.

mokryna Wed 30-Oct-19 08:16:44

In France you can bring your own wine and just pay a cork fee. Don't they want your business? When we go and want a drink we ask for a pitcher of house wine which are a good price and the wine is reasonable.