Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Christmas starter

(34 Posts)
Newatthis Wed 11-Dec-19 16:52:19

Please - has anybody got a recipe for a very quick and easy Christmas starter for 6 that also can be prepared ahead and put in the freezer. Bearing in mind that my daughter is pregnant so there is a whole lot of cheese, cured meats and seafood she cannot eat.

mumofmadboys Wed 11-Dec-19 17:01:05

What about something light like a goats cheese salad? It needs to be very small before a trad Christmas meal.

Marydoll Wed 11-Dec-19 17:02:00

Years ago, I used to make a gratefruit starter, very seventies.
Half a grapefruit, cut into the segments sprinkle with brown sugar, add a touch of butter and grill, until the grapefruit carmelises.
Absolutely delicious, totally unhealthy and calorific, but a rare treat!
Probably not much help! grin
I'm sure someone will come up with a great idea.

Maggiemaybe Wed 11-Dec-19 17:12:37

My suggestion probably isn't much help either, but here goes! I'm not doing starters this year - with a couple of veggies, a pregnant lady, two who can't/won't eat fish and 4 six and unders I've decided just to provide a selection of canapes with the fizz in the front room before we get around the table. And this is the year I've finally decided to make life simple for myself, so there'll be no poring over cookbooks, they'll be carefully selected from one of the local supermarkets. smile

crystaltipps Wed 11-Dec-19 17:22:02

Definitely canapés with a glass of fizz- blinis with a variety of toppings, crudités and dips. Something for people to nibble an hour or so before. Something for everyone. Easy.

Gonegirl Wed 11-Dec-19 17:23:58

Who wants a starter with Xmas dinner. Spoil your appetite.

Greenfinch Wed 11-Dec-19 17:27:30

What a good idea Maggiemaybe. Your group sounds just like mine. We have 3 veggies,a pregnant mum and 3 who are under 7. I am not sure what pregnant ladies can't eat especially one who is unable to tolerate the smell of much of the food.confused

Namsnanny Wed 11-Dec-19 19:04:03

soup?

Auntieflo Wed 11-Dec-19 19:07:50

Gonegirl, it does help with little ones, tiding them over till lunch is ready.

But Newatthis, please don't do as I did one year, preparing a lovely starter, then forgetting all about it and leaving it in the freezer.
We had it next day.

TwiceAsNice Wed 11-Dec-19 19:22:28

Canapés are good. Smoked salmon maybe if you want a sit down starter

Scribbles Wed 11-Dec-19 19:35:05

Portions of honeydew melon, sprinkled with ground ginger and a squirt of lime juice.

Curlywhirly Wed 11-Dec-19 19:47:13

Yes, agree with the canapes and fizz. For the last couple of years I have not provided a starter and bought several canapes from M and S instead (I made them myself the 1st year, then thought, b*g*er that, M and S is much easier!) it really made life much easier.

JackyB Wed 11-Dec-19 20:28:09

If you want them to sit down to it, you could prepare simple plates of lamb's Lettuce, chopped walnut and pomegranate seeds. Dress before eating, or just stand the cruet on the table. Goat's cheese or blue cheese or slivers of parmesan optional for those who can/will eat it.

SalsaQueen Wed 11-Dec-19 21:02:15

Soup. Simple.

katie1 Wed 11-Dec-19 21:11:56

What about half an avocado, sliced with a lovely drizzled over and salad garnish , maybe with melba toast?

katie1 Wed 11-Dec-19 21:12:38

A lovely dressing I should have written ?

Madgran77 Wed 11-Dec-19 21:19:23

Sliced mozzarella and tomatoes layered. Drizzle f lemon oil and balsamic. Chopped basil. Serve with some garlic bread. You cant freeze it, just takes about 10 minutes to prepare on the day...and sit the mozzarella in a sieve to drip extra fluid off before slicing.

Alternatively how about mushrooms simmered in white wine and herbs. (a bit of miso added gives extra flavour). Serve with nice bread to soak up juices.

Missfoodlove Wed 11-Dec-19 21:50:19

Halloumi cheese with Galia melon on cocktail sticks. The warm salty halloumi with sweet cold melon cubes is fab. Fry or grill the cheese in advance then warm.
An espresso coffee cup filled with homemade soup.
Little croustade shells. filled with haggis and topped with scrambled egg.
( vegetarian haggis is wonderful)
Mini toasts topped with pesto and a thin slice of tomato.
The above are some of the canapés I serve as a starter alternative.

BradfordLass72 Wed 11-Dec-19 21:56:24

Devils on Horseback and Angels for the un-pregnant people.

Mini vol au vents, filled at the last moment with whatever you decide: creamy mushroom/prawn sauce; mixed, diced fruit and creme fraiche; tomato, avocado and capsicum with hummus; pate with finely chopped water chestnuts.

The pregnant ladies may avoid the pate and even the creme fraiche but the others will like them.

Hummus with crudites and crostini.
Mini spring rolls.
Mini rice parcels filled with julienne vegies, with a dipping sauce of soy and lemon.

Beetroot, venison or ham and avocado kebabs.

Nairn's Oatcakes, the whole range, with toppings people can choose for themselves.

I admit it, I love oatcakes smile and prefer my own choice from a variety of salady accompaniments - the perfect DIY starters.

BTW what is 'fizz'? Not that I buy fizzy drinks, other than the very occasional sugar-free ginger beer.....

MiniMoon Wed 11-Dec-19 22:00:14

Parsnip soup. Either parsnip and apple, or spicy roast parsnip soup. Both can be made ahead and frozen.

Nortsat46 Thu 12-Dec-19 08:08:52

Newatthis I think canapés and fizz in the living room, before going to the table sounds lovely.

If you intend to do a test run, checking the canapés for deliciousness and the fizz for fizziness, I am available for quality control consultancy ...

mumofmadboys Thu 12-Dec-19 08:19:12

Soup is a bit heavy before a Christmas roast IMHO

Nansnet Thu 12-Dec-19 11:08:50

Another vote for canapes here! You can prep-ahead the toppings the evening before, then dollop them onto whatever bases (blinis/crostini/cucumber/pear slices) your using just before everyone arrives. Alternatively, parsnip, sage & white bean soup, or broccoli & stilton soup. Or you could make little individual savoury tartlets (roasted tomato & feta/red onion & goats cheese) freeze them, then re-heat and serve on a bed of rocket.

morethan2 Thu 12-Dec-19 12:15:15

For two years running I was so fussed up and sweating that I realised after the pudding/sweet that the starter was still in the fridgetchblush we had it later in the evening watching television as a light supper. The family now tell me that they prefer it that way.( however they do rather enjoy telling others I’m getting old and forgetful and telling others about it) I think I’ve started a new tradition in the family. In my defence there were 11 people. There’s only 6 or 7 this year but this thread has made me do a head count and I’ve just realised that there’ll be 15 on Boxing Day. Best stop grandnetting and get organised.

jura2 Thu 12-Dec-19 12:21:38

I am amazed by comments of pregnant women who 'can't eat this or that, or the other' !?!

rule number one in our house for Xmas, is keep it simple so everyone can enjoy it - so it is always best quality smoked salmond with thin toast and butter- and soup for others, if required.