Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

What time do you go to bed?

(115 Posts)
Fennel Mon 20-Jan-20 19:24:27

I'm beginning to think that I've got days and nights mixed up.
Especially during these short winter days.
Thank God I've still got a husband and he goes out every morning before 7am and we get up around 5-6 in preparation.
So by now I'm thinking of having supper of toast and jam and going to bed. We have our main meal at lunchtime.
I do read in bed for an hour or so.
Are we abnormal?

Brigidsdaughter Wed 22-Jan-20 00:44:03

I'm an owl by nature, always was. Struggled in the mornings all my life but discipline got me out of bed, don't know what refreshed feels like I ho to bed at various times, rarely before 11pm. I enjoy the headspace if others in bed. Then I read. Rarely up before 10 30. If I'm awake early I lie in relaxing, coming to! If I have an early morning appt it really disrupts my sleep as I'm on edge

callgirl1 Wed 22-Jan-20 00:27:26

I mostly go to bed around 1 am, never before midnight, and I get up at 8 am. I don`t go earlier, even though I`m really tired, because the earlier I go to bed, the more times I have to get up for a wee, usually 3 or 4 times a night. I`d love the luxury of a lie in, but have to be up before my daughter`s carer arrives.

Oopsminty Wed 22-Jan-20 00:17:07

That sounds lovely paddyanne

My OH is in bed by 10

I'm the night owl

But there is something special about being up in the early hours

It's peaceful and I love it

paddyanne Tue 21-Jan-20 23:54:09

Most nights if we dont have work in the morning its 2am or later and we get up around 10.On nights before work its 12 ish .We listen to music and chat ...a lot.Put the world to rights ,sometimes my OH will do jobs around the house he didn't get round to like shampooing carpets or painting radiators .I never get bored and will happily make batches of scones at midnight or clean the cooker hood ..as you do.We've always been night owls as our work was long days and unless you sat up late you felt as if you had no down time at all

Baguette123 Tue 21-Jan-20 23:44:51

We are all so different with our bedtimes. Personally I hate mornings but find it hard to sleep before midnight unless I’m unwell. I’ve received a lot of flack in my lifetime over my zombie like status in the morning but as I’m no longer working I can please myself. When I do have to get up early for an appointment it feels wrong, very wrong. Do whatever suits you and whoever you live with. It’s your natural rhythm and best for you to stick to it.

grannybuy Tue 21-Jan-20 22:51:45

I'm rarely in bed before midnight. I could sleep between 6.00 and 7.00 pm, though I rarely do. I get past the tiredness, and have a new lease of life nearer 10.00. I am more ' creative' late at night. I used to prepare for school, when teaching, often writing plans or reports till after midnight. I would sometimes write letters or even poetry at midnight. I always had better ideas late at night. I got up at 6.30. Now that I'm retired, I'm often still up tillmidnight or after. If I'm going somewhere, I'll set the alarm, but if not, I might sleep till 9.00 ish. When my children were young, I did things like ironing and washing the kitchen floor late at night.

Phoebes Tue 21-Jan-20 21:47:00

Usually we watch,TV until about 11pm and then go to bed. I read for a bit then put out the light around midnight. My husband usually drops off before I finish reading.
I would like to sleep until the alarm goes off at 7.30, when my husband gets up to feed the cats, who would would be most put out if they didn’t get their breakfast on time.
Usually we both wake up around 6 to 6.30am so I suppose we must be getting enough sleep or we would go on sleeping until the alarm goes off.
I get a lovely cup of tea in bed with a biscuit every morning and then we read the paper in bed. What time we get up depends on whether we have anything particular happening in the morning.

lemongrove Tue 21-Jan-20 19:21:56

Whenever I like! The main advantage of being retired,
No set time, but never before 9 pm unless ill.So it varies, if feeling tired I go early, if not late, or very late.If I am immersed in a film, often after midnight.
Never get up late though, around 7.30 seems the usual.

eilys Tue 21-Jan-20 19:00:03

These are my hours too

TerriBull Tue 21-Jan-20 18:58:27

Usually between 10 and 10.15 depending what's on the news. We both read for a while anything between 10 minutes and 45 depending how tired we are. Quite often I will read for longer, as I find myself getting a second wind having fallen asleep watching something around 9 pm. If I have a good night's sleep as opposed to a tossing and turning one, I'll go through to 6.30 ish, then one of us will get up at 7 and go and make the coffee.

4allweknow Tue 21-Jan-20 18:20:46

Midnight generally for me then I read for about and hour. I am a terrible sleeper eyes usually pop open a couple of times before 6 am then I try to have a few extra winks but usually end up reading. Up about 8 am usually.

Ohmother Tue 21-Jan-20 17:42:19

I involuntary begin to nod off at 9ish. Just when the decent programmes come on telly!!!

SalsaQueen Tue 21-Jan-20 17:22:15

On work days I get up at 6.45, so I tend to go to bed at 10.30-11pm.

On Fridays and Saturdays, I go to bed at about 12.30pm, and get up at about 8 in the mornings.

Fennel Tue 21-Jan-20 16:49:53

Those of you who stay up late - how do you pass the time?
I get bored with TV, too tired to work, there's a limit to how much reading I can do.
When younger I went out in the evenings to night classes, or visiting, and we went to bridge club twice a week for a few years.

Juicylucy Tue 21-Jan-20 16:19:43

I’m a night owl go to bed about midnight read for half an hour up at 8/ 8.30.

Chardy Tue 21-Jan-20 16:13:58

About 11pm to get up at 7am

Nanny41 Tue 21-Jan-20 16:09:25

I usually go to bed about midnight which is 11pm UK time I watch the papers review on SKY news and find it fascinating,I arise most days if nothing special happening,about 9am.
Husband in bed 10pm / 10:30pm up again about 5:30 and he is retired!

CBBL Tue 21-Jan-20 16:03:42

Go to bed at 10.00pm and neither hubby nor I sleep particularly well (mostly due to pain). We both often get up during the night. Hubby will sometimes play games on the computer until he feels tired enough to sleep again.
Generally, we get up at 7.00am - sometimes 6.00 or 6.30am if we have early morning Doctor's appointments.

gillione Tue 21-Jan-20 15:08:41

I had a hysterectomy a week ago today.All went well surgery was keyhole so only an overnight stay in hospital. A physio came to see me before I was discharged with some exercises to do , one being pelvic floor to prevent a prolapse. I am really struggling to do these. I am tempted to buy one of the devices I've seen on the internet to help. Just wondering if anyone had an advice on what to do.

GrauntyHelen Tue 21-Jan-20 14:35:25

I go to bed when I'm ready -last night that was 9pm tonight it may be 2am . I can't be doing with routine and timetables any more .

M0nica Tue 21-Jan-20 14:06:48

I try too be in bed just after 10.00pm and asleep by 11.00pm. I am up around 6.00am. That is because I am one of life's larks.

DD, were it not for the pressures of work,would get to bed by 3.00pm at the latest and not get up until 10.30 - 11.00am. She is an extreme owl.

But then, as love0c, says, I have to be feeling sleepy. If I am not, and I wasn't feeling tired last night, I stay up until I am ready. Last night I didn't go to bed until nearly midnight - but still woke up for 6.00am.

3dognight Tue 21-Jan-20 13:55:30

Whatever works for you is ok in my book, however we seem to be divided into larks and owls!
I have two sleeps. The first one between nine thirty pm and one thirty / two am. Then I get up and do quiet jobs, read, have a decaff tea looking at the stars, get nice and cold, then after a couple hours go back to bed and straight off to sleep again usually. Strangely I have to ensure my feet are cold before I can sleep!
Also my earplugs and eyemask are triggers for my second sleep, along with the cold feet. Also worrying about things as I lie in bed is confined to laying on my right side, when I turn over to lie on my other side , my non worrying side, I can clear my mind quite easily!
I have had a lifetime of poor sleep and constant tiredness, until I developed my own strange sleep pattern about fifteen years ago.
Getting up time is seven ish.

Saggi Tue 21-Jan-20 13:12:27

I GO to bed at 9ish....watch Netflix....try to sleep from 10.30...wake at 2ish....listen to audible book...get to sleep about 4...up at 5..15 because by then I’ve had enough of tried g to sleep. 4 to 4.5 hours a night ( broken) is a good night for me. Doesn’t seem to do me any harm. Walked 6.5 miles yesterday ...will have done same today , and will do about 4 miles tmro.... don’t know about rest of week yet!

Mealybug Tue 21-Jan-20 12:32:53

I go to bed between 2am-3am because that is the time I get to myself when hubby is asleep who I am full-time carer for. I still get up at 9.30am to greet the morning carers but the rest of the day it's down to me looking after him. To be honest I've always been a night owl and if I went to bed at say 10pm or 11pm I would be up again at 2 lol

Keeper1 Tue 21-Jan-20 12:32:34

I work full time so try to be sensible about bed times. When I a have time off it just depends on how I feel sometimes getting up early or staying up very late and sleeping in. I do what pleases me.