Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

How much to give?

(37 Posts)
BBbevan Mon 10-Feb-20 18:03:26

We went to a friend’s daughters’s wedding recently. We are close to the mother but not the daughter especially. We gave £50 as the bride and groom had asked for money. Of course we have never had a thank you

BlueBelle Mon 10-Feb-20 17:35:32

I don’t like this money thing either When my friend got married she asked for money for their honeymoon She was divorced a year later
I think £50 is a lot if you don’t have much or any contact with her go in the middle £30
I had another friend who had lived with her chap a few years said they didn’t need anything and would everyone give to a charity of their choice I liked that
I also had a friend and for her 50th wedding anniversary they had a big party and had a bucket fir donations for our local community theatre

Nannarose Mon 10-Feb-20 17:25:45

There's a relatively recent but widely accepted idea that you should at least "cover your plate". I have found it a useful guide in such situations. If you have a general idea of the kind of reception, then imagine what you would have paid in a restaurant.
More difficult if you have little discretionary spends, but that's where I'd begin.

lilypollen Mon 10-Feb-20 15:27:42

To be honest I dislike the way gifts for weddings have now turned into a request for money. I accept that most people already have a home but offer a choice between money and say, JL vouchers. I think for someone you know well £50 but as goddaughter hasn't been seen for many years £30.

Sara65 Mon 10-Feb-20 14:29:56

One of my daughters had a holiday job in the wedding list department of a well known store. She always found it really sad when people came in and couldn’t really afford anything. Just give what you can afford, I’m sure they’ll be grateful.

Humbertbear Mon 10-Feb-20 14:12:17

You give what you can afford. When we got married (along time ago) one rand made gave us 50p and we bought a tin tray which we still treasure

FearlessSwiftie Mon 10-Feb-20 14:11:28

The statement Calendargirl made is a good one. Today being a god someone doesn't mean as much as it used to.

Calendargirl Mon 10-Feb-20 13:12:10

I’m sure £50 is the going rate, but makes me wonder how much you’re expected to contribute if it’s someone closer. If the OP’s DH hasn’t seen his god daughter for years, they’re obviously not particularly close. And so many people nowadays are not remotely religious, so being a god parent is no longer what it was.

Sussexborn Mon 10-Feb-20 13:03:32

I would go along with £50 nowadays if you can afford it.

PernillaVanilla Mon 10-Feb-20 12:59:59

I'd say around £50, especially as she is a goddaughter. if you really can't afford that don't feel guilty about sending less.

Oopsminty Mon 10-Feb-20 12:59:53

We had a similar situation a couple of years ago

We gave £50

I'm sure she'll be grateful for whatever you give though

ecci53 Mon 10-Feb-20 12:55:52

We've been invited to DH's goddaughter wedding, who we haven't seen for many years. They don't want presents but are asking for money, as contributions towards a big 'something' they will choose to buy. I don't have any idea how much to give. DH thinks £20, which I feel is not enough. Any advice gratefully received, thanks.