Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Doing anything nice today?

(65 Posts)
Riverwalk Fri 13-Mar-20 09:01:37

It's a glorious sunny day sunshine and I'm off to the hairdresser for some badly needed maintenance. I really do look a mess but hoping to return looking and feeling lovely! smile

Septimia Fri 13-Mar-20 09:42:33

Sleety and horrible here this morning, so staying in to do decorating. I'm sure rubbing down and washing walls will do wonders for my fitness levels!

Off to visit a friend this afternoon for a good natter.

Daisymae Fri 13-Mar-20 09:46:46

Well I am off to walk the dog. Didn't get far yesterday, despite leaving in sunshine, soon hit by rain and hail. Poor dog took shelter in a hedge and left me to it! So much for faithful companion.....Have a lovely day.

glammanana Fri 13-Mar-20 09:47:31

After spending two days celebrating my GDs 18th birthday at two very nice restaurants in Liverpool I am going to have a quiet day and meet up with my pal at a local garden centre for coffee & cake,time to choose some bedding plants I think.

Chicklette Fri 13-Mar-20 10:24:06

We’re off to stay in a shepherds hut/log cabin for the weekend. It’s our wedding anniversary and we wanted to do something a bit different. The weather’s not meant to be great, but I’m sure we’ll have a lovely, peaceful weekend.

aggie Fri 13-Mar-20 10:25:46

Sun is out here , so getting some weeding done , before the rain returns later ?

Moggycuddler Fri 13-Mar-20 10:40:22

Nice to hear of normal pleasant things that people are doing instead of all the virus doom stuff! I'm only going to be doing housework though. Well, if I get finished there may be time for listening to a bit of my audio book later.

Anrol Fri 13-Mar-20 10:48:31

I am having great enjoyment giving our Campervan a good spring clean, ready for the start of our many planned trips. I’ve bought a super new mattress topper for the bed and am looking forward to having my morning coffee in there and giving it a try out. Shame I live on a main road, but I shall shut my eyes and dream up a glorious view!

Lettice Fri 13-Mar-20 10:56:16

Having my son for dinner tonight. (Not true, he wouldn't fit in the oven) He is coming to join me for dinner tonight. I like cooking something different, and I like feeding people. So a browse round some cook books first.

Craftycat Fri 13-Mar-20 10:56:29

I went to Sainsbury's earlier than usual for me this morning.
It was actually a really good experience- I spoke to & was spoken to by several complete strangers who were
be-moaning or laughing about the empty shelves. I mean how many packets of pasta does one family need!
I did get some toilet rolls (we only had 2 rolls left so I did need it- not hoarding!) but only bought exactly the same amount of everything as I would normally get.
I came home feeling quite up-lifted but it is mad that so many people feel they have to buy everything in sight- just in case.
I am going to make some bread now- much nicer than shop bought anyway!

Theoddbird Fri 13-Mar-20 10:57:22

I really should head for the shower. Then I need to put toilet cassette on my wagon and take it to empty. Then bit of shopping in village...coffee, mushrooms and nut milk. It was sunny...rather overcast now.

EllanVannin Fri 13-Mar-20 11:02:12

Just examining the large Ceanothus shrub which is covered in buds and not far from blooming---a month early I suspect. The blue/purple flowers when they do come out are a delight just outside the patio door.
Love-in-a-mist are at the ferny stage and never fail to flower each year. Geraniums too are a hardy bunch.

I wish I'd remembered to get a couple of bags of compost when I was at Asda the other day, to organise some planting in two or three empty tubs that I have. This sunshine makes you want to get cracking. I love watching plants/flowers growing.

seacliff Fri 13-Mar-20 11:08:30

I love Ceanothus , such a gorgeous deep blue. We have several that bloom different times. I have found they are not a very long lived shrub, and suddenly die after a few years. So I try and take cuttings ready to replace.

sweetcakes Fri 13-Mar-20 11:12:58

Thank god a normal thread!!
What am I doing? not a lot tidied the house, gave the dog her breakfast the shopping has arrived and been put away I think I might just have a coffee and a little read have a good day everybody.

Greyduster Fri 13-Mar-20 11:20:42

Well we were supposed to be minding GS this evening while his parents went out, but they have decided (wisely in my opinion) not to go out, but we’re sad not to be seeing him. We’ll have to do a Face Time. It is cold but bright here so may have a walk out this afternoon.

faye17 Fri 13-Mar-20 11:21:02

I decided to remove the red vinyl coating on my kitchen cabinets & am now enjoying priming & painting the doors ivory - it is so fresh & is giving me a much-needed very positive feeling flowers

grannysyb Fri 13-Mar-20 11:35:38

Have changed bed, had friend for coffee, now to make soup for lunch. Going to DGDs birthday meal tonight at a Japanese restaurant, he is 18 today! Where did those years go?

Lizbethann55 Fri 13-Mar-20 11:43:09

Done some washing and cleaning. As I hate cleaning and my fortnightly cleaner was here on Monday that is really really impressive. Just had a coffee and am catching up here. It's my day off work. DH is in the next room working from home so I will chill out, be lazy, read and watch day time tele. Bargain Hunt, the news and then Escape to the Country. Had hoped to go to Aldi but I don't drive and DH has a lot to do, so will leave him a list and he can go tomorrow when I am at work. Friday chippy tea so don't even have to cook!

boheminan Fri 13-Mar-20 11:48:25

Have spent far too much time on GN today BUT I will make some bread in a while - well, when I've finished re-reading new popping up threads smile

NanKate Fri 13-Mar-20 11:50:28

Packing up, going home, after looking after DGSs for 8 days - Phew.

I know I’m daft but I gave them both a really big hug before they went into school in case the dreaded lurgy gets me.

So looking fwd to getting back to our own home and hunkering down, plus sleeping and not being woken at 6.20 by youngest asking where I have put his Lego models ?

Charleygirl5 Fri 13-Mar-20 11:52:13

I intend to click and collect prescription cat food I bought online. What I should do is to start decluttering this house. What I will do is make myself some coffee and listen to my talking newspaper. Tonight, spag bol and I will open a bottle of red as I settle down to watch Vera for a couple of hours. Hopefully my cat will come home at a sensible hour. Nothing too taxing for brain or body.

rockgran Fri 13-Mar-20 11:54:07

Washed the windows - and actually enjoyed it!

Charleygirl5 Fri 13-Mar-20 11:56:51

Fancy a trip here rockgran?!

Urmstongran Fri 13-Mar-20 12:09:21

Just chilling and reading in the sunshine on our little balcony here in the ?

Deciding whether to make a pasta dish for supper tonight or go out to eat. I think the pasta might win.

I loved the ceanothus we used to have EV when we had a garden (10y ago now). The bees love them too! ?

rockgran Fri 13-Mar-20 12:19:37

Sorry, Charleygirl5 - I didn't enjoy it that much!grin