Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Loneliness in self-isolation

(56 Posts)
LaraGransnet (GNHQ) Fri 13-Mar-20 10:03:49

What advice or tips would you have dealing with being isolated for two weeks? For you or a relative who may be on their own?

Daisymae Fri 13-Mar-20 10:10:16

Planning is the key, keeping the mind active. Puzzles, contact with friends online, stocking up with books or kindle etc

Hetty58 Fri 13-Mar-20 10:14:45

Plenty of phone calls, Skype, Gransnet, uplifting radio music rather than the news, then activities, hobbies, gardening, spring cleaning, ordering in favourite foods and treats, reading good books, afternoon naps etc. - think of it as a little luxury break, but at home!

Charleygirl5 Fri 13-Mar-20 10:16:44

I intend to do what I should have done years ago, sort out my house and get rid of clutter. I am a natural hoarder- I have no excuse now.

Anniebach Fri 13-Mar-20 10:19:15

I am use to isolation, only have a visitor once every three weeks, unable to leave my bungalow.

Definitely keep the mind active, I do family trees, crosswords
and other puzzles, have contact by telephone and online and
Gransnet is top of my list.

annep1 Fri 13-Mar-20 10:19:58

Actually sounds quite appealing * Hetty*.

GrannyGravy13 Fri 13-Mar-20 10:21:10

Perhaps an I am isolation thread?

glammanana Fri 13-Mar-20 10:21:35

After an early spring clean throughout I would sort some really good boxsets that I have been meaning to watch for a while on Netflix.

Liz46 Fri 13-Mar-20 10:23:02

Like Charleygirl, I am sorting out the house. I tackle one drawer or cupboard a day and have taken a couple of big bags to the charity shop and freecycled some things.
There are two of us and we drive to the sea and take a brisk walk along the prom but no longer stop at a cafe.
On the news this morning they said that the peak of the virus will be in three months time.
I am 73 and have lung damage but I'm not totally self-isolating yet. I'm having lunch with friends today but I no longer use public transport and am staying home much more.
I went to Asda intending to stock up but the shelves were almost empty!

bluebirdwsm Fri 13-Mar-20 10:31:22

Isolation is also normal for me apart from seeing a friend once or twice a fortnight and one son one month, the other son the next month.

It took a while to get used to. Now I enjoy it, I am busy with gardening, reading, online forums, puzzles, home decorating, art, music, cinema, baking, new recipes, repurposing/renovating bits of furniture, good TV, catch up TV, watch quizzes, lots of walking etc.

Time for people isolating to try something new? Knitting, crochet, papier mache, colouring, growing veg, creating greetings cards.....so many things to do.

I often learn subjects I haven't had time for before; the states of America, the countries of Africa, kings and queens of England, rivers of Europe, the ages of man etc, etc.

MawB Fri 13-Mar-20 10:40:18

A full fridge, a bottle or three of something nice and some good books plus DVDS or Netflix
More seriously, a positive frame of mind. If any of us are self isolating (or indeed isolated because others have concerns) we should not sink into self pity or feel “we’re all doomed”.
This too will pass.
And if you have a garden or even pots on a balcony plus a bird feeder you can enjoy the fact that Spring is here. Self-isolated need not necessarily mean housebound (unless there are other health issues) you won’t catch CV going for a little walk if it is sunny, or from phoning a friend who may be on her own too.
All those DVDs you felt you might enjoy watching again - and don’t get me started on Bergerac, Lovejoy, or all those great golden oldies on daytime TV.
A box set of As Time Goes By or (if it is really going to go on and on) The West Wing!
Looked at that way - it need not be too bad at all. ??

dragonfly46 Fri 13-Mar-20 10:42:17

I am going to make the most of my self isolation like Maw.

lemongrove Fri 13-Mar-20 10:42:49

In fact MawB ...that sounds pretty good to me.?

Theoddbird Fri 13-Mar-20 10:43:28

I have stacks to do....

Cymres1 Fri 13-Mar-20 10:43:30

What a truly brilliant collection of answers, I'm having a couple of days away hostelling somewhere peaceful and obscure to recharge my batteries on my own, travelling today, then all plans are postponed until we see where we are in the situation. Got so much Radio 4 to catch up with, crafts, decluttering, gardening, etc. I never allowed any word of Boring bringing my gang up, "only boring people get bored" and a little job to do seems to have paid off. We're being given time, and it sounds like our generation know just what to do with it..... be sad if I can't get to WI, but caring about our friends comes first. Thank goodness for an unlimited calls and texts contract!

MawB Fri 13-Mar-20 10:45:29

An addd bonus - it gets you out of anything you didn’t want to do but were too weak to wriggle out of ?

Mamissimo Fri 13-Mar-20 10:47:50

I think as we get older we’re more able to cope with our own company - if the boot was on the other foot it would be much harder for young people to spend two weeks with themselves!

seacliff Fri 13-Mar-20 10:48:28

I am meeting a friend who is self isolating. We will both drive to the cliff top, with a lovely view and lots of fresh air. We'll have a chat together, each in our own cars with window open. We will take flasks of coffee and some nibbles. I am hoping this will be OK, and that the seagulls aren't too noisy.

For myself, I still work 2 days a week. They are looking into us possibly working from home, but for now I have to risk it and go in. This is obviously going to continue for many months.

Chestnut Fri 13-Mar-20 10:51:44

Get a subscription to Ancestry and start delving into your family tree. This could take two years or more and the time will fly! Then you can write up people's stories and make it interesting. If not, then at least write up your own story and your parents' stories so you have something interesting to leave for the grandchildren when they're older. Buy a file and plastic pockets and you can put photos in the story too. They will love reading it 50 years from now.

SparklyGrandma Fri 13-Mar-20 10:53:00

A full freezer of nice meals, some resting, a stack of books I want to read, planning my summer pots, a spring clean wash of duvets, throws, cushion covers, blankets and pillows. Making a cake later, we call it Bara Brith in Wales.

JaneA Fri 13-Mar-20 10:57:08

seacliff - I thought you were going to say - We will both drive to the cliff top and jump off! lol

seacliff Fri 13-Mar-20 11:00:51

Ha ha Jane, might come to that at some point, but not yet. Mind you, this is Suffolk "cliffs", so it would not kill me.

seacliff Fri 13-Mar-20 11:03:00

I may have a go at making some papier mache Christmas tree decs. Looking on the bright side, that I will be here to use them. grin

seacliff Fri 13-Mar-20 11:03:25

Yes, could do early Christmas shopping.

LaraGransnet (GNHQ) Fri 13-Mar-20 11:12:09

Thanks all - definitely seems like you are looking at this very positively! How about those of you who are carers for older relatives? If one of you find yourselves having to self-isolate, what will you do?