Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Kindle readers

(53 Posts)
Nannylovesshopping Mon 16-Mar-20 14:42:56

I get all my books from the local library, terrific service, but am guessing the libraries will be shutting their doors fairly soon.
I have always refused offers from my family re gifts of a kindle as I love the feel, smell and turning over pages of actual books.
Now however feel is the time to buy one, but although I am an accomplished shopper generally, on this I am stumped, I don’t know anyone who has one.
I’m hoping some of you will be able to advise which one to buy, I use glasses to read, does this make a difference as to which one to buy?
Any advice most welcome, thanks?

Liz46 Mon 16-Mar-20 14:48:13

I use both a Kindle and a Kobo. I bought the Kobo to borrow library books as, at the time you couldn't use a Kindle. I think you may be able to now. IMO the Kindle is best.

It is easy to adjust the size of the writing and brightness and one of the uses for me is that I can read without putting the light on if I wake up in the night.

Amazon have some free Kindle books especially if you have Prime. Hope this helps.

Marmight Mon 16-Mar-20 14:49:53

Do you have an iPad? I have the Kindle App on mine and read from that. You can adjust the size of font to suit. I have an old Kindle which I rarely use so can’t advise on up to date versions

Artdecogran Mon 16-Mar-20 14:51:51

I was pestered by my kids to have a kindle and always refused because, like you, I loved real books. However, storage of all my books became a problem and so ungraciously accepted one. I have never looked back. I currently have 3000 books on mine which is just a basic version. All those books with no storage problems at all, could you imagine a sitting room with all those on shelves. You can get free books or choose to pay for ones from poetry to science fiction to chick lit etc. Once you set up your amazon account it’s really simple to buy books, just one click. You can preview the books before you buy too. If you go into hospital like I have to, it’s so easy and lightweight to carry with you. You don’t have to carry two books in case you finish one. I absolutely recommend it.

Artdecogran Mon 16-Mar-20 14:53:07

Forgot to say you can adjust print size-to suit you, I wear glasses and have no problems.

Callistemon Mon 16-Mar-20 14:54:40

Nannyls you can adjust the font size on a Kindle which is useful.

Mine is very old so I will watch this thread with interest as I would like an update, perhaps with a reading light.
They are so much lighter and easier to hold if reading in bed.

Callistemon Mon 16-Mar-20 14:55:35

Although I do still like a proper book.

ayse Mon 16-Mar-20 14:56:32

If you’re on Amazon Prime there is also access to free books. My library has an online lending service, not brilliant but ok. I have an iPad and use it for books from both. It’s also great for BBC Radio and streaming TV. I was rather sceptical about spending the money on it but it’s been great for me for loads of stuff. My laptop is almost redundant now

Gemini17892 Mon 16-Mar-20 14:59:01

I have a few different Kindles but like you I like the feel of a proper book.

One thing to look for in a new kindle is whether you enjoy swiping to move the page over or whether you would prefer a click button. That seems to be a stumbling block for people .

The first kindles had buttons that you could hear click when you press it and everyone liked that but the future ones didn’t have a button they had a swipe or tap to turn the page. Some people didn’t like that so much because it wasn’t as accurate sometimes it turned over two pages. And when you swipe you have to take your finger or thumb off the page which is not easy to do when you hold it one-handed.

So I bought a kindle voyage which they don’t make any more but you can’t get them secondhand and that has a squeezy button that’s quite good . The very latest ones are really expensive eg the Oasis and that has a proper button and a larger screen.

You can enlarge the font so wearing glasses isn’t a problem unless you’re lying down in bed .

I also bought a stick on button for the back of mine to make it easier to hold at night.

I guess you already know you can get a free Kindle app for your ipad or tablet which means you don’t even have to buy a Kindle .

I think the best buy is The Kindle Paperwhite.

rosenoir Mon 16-Mar-20 15:02:17

I have had a Kindle since they came out and love it.

I would just get the basic paperwhite,unless you need waterproof for bath or hot tub,I am happy with the light that is on it , I do not know what warm light does but is much more expensive.

Septimia Mon 16-Mar-20 15:10:07

DH bought me one - although I didn't really want it. I've found it useful for following up book series that I couldn't get from the library. Unless it's a book I'm desperate to read, I only buy the cheapest ones and have found a number of authors that write enjoyable whodunnits.

I bought one for DH later and we both find them useful, especially for reading in the dark without needing the light on - like dark evenings in the motorcaravan.

I still prefer a proper book....

gulligranny Mon 16-Mar-20 15:19:15

I also prefer a proper book but DH bought me a Kindle Paperwhite for Christmas and I do like it. It's one where you tap the page but that's not too much of a problem. There are some book bargains and I've downloaded several costing only 99p.

As far as tablets are concerned, I understand there is an app called Libby, which allows downloads from your library. Don't know any more about this, but obviously worth following up if - when - libraries close.

Jane10 Mon 16-Mar-20 15:31:00

I love my kindle. Its an old one though. Just a tip, but I bought a lovely cover for mine so it opens just like a real book.

JackyB Mon 16-Mar-20 15:31:00

I don't get what it is about "proper books" that people find so wonderful. They collect dust and germs and take up room, not to mention the fact that they are made of trees which have to be cut down.

Give me a kindle any day. It doesn't flop around when you try to read it in bed, you can just wipe it clean with a disinfectant cloth if necessary, you never lose your page and if you come across a word you don't know you just hold your finger on it and the dictionary definition pops up.

I hate to think what is on library books that dozens of people before me have held and sneezed over.

sodapop Mon 16-Mar-20 15:34:45

Oh dear that's heresy JackyB I'm a volunteer librarian and love books.

tanith Mon 16-Mar-20 15:48:03

I also read my kindle downloads on my iPad but I figured out how to download from my local library yesterday so an infinite supply of free books. That’s going to come in handy in the weeks ahead.
Sorry can’t help with new kindles.

chelseababy Mon 16-Mar-20 16:13:42

You can get kindle on laptop and smartphone as well. I've got a kindle fire which is fine. I download e books and audio books on it from my library.

aggie Mon 16-Mar-20 16:17:56

For reading books , the kindle Paperwhite gets my vote , you can read it in all light conditions , even bright sunlight

GrannyGravy13 Mon 16-Mar-20 16:23:19

I have a kindle paperwhite which means that if I cannot sleep I can read during the night without putting the light on and waking up Mr.GG.

I have BorrowBox on my iPad so that I can download library books for free.

I do still get hardback books for gifts, I love the smell and feel of a new book.

Sar53 Mon 16-Mar-20 16:28:36

I also love real books and have many and I read these when I am at home.
I also have a Kindle which I use for holidays and travelling.
The Kindle Paperwhite is my choice.

Septimia Mon 16-Mar-20 16:45:20

The beauty of a real book, especially non-fiction, is that I can remember roughly how far through the book a particular important passage is, whether recto or verso and how far down the page. Very useful for finding it again. You can't do that with a kindle, even if there are lots of technical things that you can do.

Urmstongran Mon 16-Mar-20 16:53:51

I have a Kindle paperwhite. I love the backlight for the same reason as you GG13! I love putting it in my handbag when we go abroad - I can recall years ago packing paperbacks in a suitcase! The portability is brilliant. Like Jane10 I bought a Kindle cover.

Nannylovesshopping Mon 16-Mar-20 17:30:05

Many thanks to you all, the kindle paper white it is then?

Nandalot Mon 16-Mar-20 17:43:58

As others have said you can Kindle app on iPad. Check if your library does ebooks. I am currently reading the new Ann Cleeves on my iPad from the library!

Patsy70 Mon 16-Mar-20 18:45:25

I love my Kindle and download books from Amazon all the time. My OH also has one and we are able to share our books.