Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

What's for dinner?

(55 Posts)
Riverwalk Sat 28-Mar-20 17:45:47

I'm spoilt for choice as had an Ocado delivery and bought a few things from the local deli - pondering on a sirloin steak or crab cakes. smile

paddyanne Sat 28-Mar-20 17:51:49

Home made steak pie ,mash and cabbage with bacon .apple sponge and ice cream for OH ,I dont eat puddings

kittylester Sat 28-Mar-20 18:04:31

Previously frozen, home made, butter chicken, Sainsbury's frozen pilau rice and naan! Lots of mango chutney!

Auntieflo Sat 28-Mar-20 18:08:53

Sausages, mash, onions, carrots and cabbage, with lots of gravy
Probably ice cream for pud.

Anoia Sat 28-Mar-20 18:11:31

Exhausted from gardening so probably a fish finger sandwich with ketchup and tartare sauce!

GrannySomerset Sat 28-Mar-20 18:11:34

Fish pie and for DH apple turnover though no cream. Trying to keep things varied and not waste anything - so business as usual, really.

EllanVannin Sat 28-Mar-20 18:19:07

Eaten-----2 eggs, scrambled with grated cheese on two rounds of toast with two rashers of bacon on top. Cup of tea 2 home-made mince pies. Dishes/pans washed dried and put away.

rubysong Sat 28-Mar-20 18:23:56

Sausages (from the freezer), mash, carrots and leeks from a stall in the village we picked up on this afternoon's walk. Enough leeks left to go with Mondays pork steaks.

rubysong Sat 28-Mar-20 18:25:21

Then we shared an apple. We are trying to eke out fruit as we hope to avoid the shops this coming week and just eat what we have.

TerriBull Sat 28-Mar-20 18:36:08

I've been more of less cooking from scratch all week, Saturday would normally be a Marks and Spencer curry night in our house, failing to pick those up this week, we wandered past our local "Cook" shop and as they were only letting one customer in at a time, I felt it a "safe space" to shop. I pounced and bought Chicken Tikka Masala for two, so we are having that with Basmati rice. It's the one night of the week my dear husband does the cooking, or his version of cooking, shoving said meal in microwave and boiling some rice. He does however bring it to me with one of these with meal wine so can't complain.

Sar53 Sat 28-Mar-20 18:37:55

DH had a sausage sandwich and a tin of mushroom soup, I had beans on toast with grated cheese. We always have a snacky dinner on a Saturday very little cooking.

maddy47 Sat 28-Mar-20 18:39:43

We are having trout with asparagus and jacket potatoes. The trout have been in the freezer since just before lockdown so, since it's Saturday we got them out. No problem with veg and potatoes here from our local small veg shop.

Lucca Sat 28-Mar-20 18:40:49

I’m thinking mushrooms and maybe garlic and smoked bacon with some creme fraiche on pasta, probably spaghetti. Greek yoghurt and banana cake for dessert but I made the cake so it’s not very nice.....

grandMattie Sat 28-Mar-20 18:48:33

Stuffed aubergine and rice.

dragonfly46 Sat 28-Mar-20 18:53:53

Cheese fondue - just had Sainsbury delivery!

phoenix Sat 28-Mar-20 18:54:44

Grilled rib eye steak (our usual Saturday night treat) but instead of jacket potatoes and salad (no salad available sad) it will be chips, mushrooms and grilled tomatoes.

Susan56 Sat 28-Mar-20 18:55:39

We ordered a cheese and veg pie from a local hotel so will have a piece of that,it is huge so will do for a couple more meals.An unexpected bonus was it came with ready prepared vegetables.Fruit for pud.

Greenfinch Sat 28-Mar-20 19:14:59

We had Greek bean pasta bake followed by a fruit crumble from M&S. Our DD cooked a pasta bake when we were all on holiday on The Isle of Mull a few years ago when the only things that got us were the mozzies.We reminisced about happier times.

Elizabeth1 Sat 28-Mar-20 19:20:31

phoenix I’m at yours for dinner tonight hope you’ve remembered you invited me round I’ll bring the vino.

fatgran57 Sun 29-Mar-20 00:36:44

We had soup and an egg and bacon roll for lunch,husband will have curried sausages for dinner, I don't know yet, avocados still too hard for salad, may have some spinach and feta pie I made previously, must remember to take a piece out of the freezer!

BlueSapphire Sun 29-Mar-20 09:23:05

I had steak, jacket potato, onion rings and peas, (washed down with a large glass of red wine?) as I do every Saturday, unless I've been to a rugby match when I have a nice warming hotpot which has been in the slow cooker all day.

Tonight it will be a pork chop with roast potatoes and Yorkshire pudding.

ninathenana Sun 29-Mar-20 09:58:38

Pizza from the freezer last night.

Tonight chicken thighs marinated in BBQ sauce, oven chips and peas.

MiniMoon Sun 29-Mar-20 10:05:02

Yesterday we had pasta carbonara using up what was left of the bacon. We had sautèd courgettes and mushrooms on the side.
For tea I made soup with the limp vegetables left in the fridge, and I had a bagel with pastrami to finish.
Today I have a chicken to roast, so it will be a full roast dinner. DH bought some sterilised milk by mistake, so I'm going to make a rice pudding with it.

kittylester Sun 29-Mar-20 10:10:08

Our lovely butcher is doing deliveries so dinner will be roast pork spare rib with roast potatoes peas and honey roast carrots. Sadly, I couldn't get Maris Pipers to roast

Witzend Sun 29-Mar-20 10:23:47

Ha, Minimoon, roast chicken and rice pudding here, too!
Shall use a tin of evap milk (bought for the purpose) for the pud. It makes up nicely to 2 pints.
Assortment of veg with the chicken, half a sweetheart cabbage, carrots and frozen peas. Lots of lovely roast spuds and gravy.

I’ve just been making a 2nd barm brack, to use up more of the ancient GF flour and the last of the dried fruit from Christmas.
I have some organic farmhouse butter courtesy of the milkman (who’s run out of nearly all the extras I wanted) which will be delish on slices of barm brack.?

Last night was a first orzotto, like a risotto but with orzo, which I only used to put in soups. Was supposed to have peas and pancetta added, but given no pancetta I used some crisped up streaky bacon instead.