Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Help with oven cleaning

(34 Posts)
mbmb Tue 31-Mar-20 11:32:09

My oven is really disgusting. I always have good intentions to wipe it over when it's still warm but rarely do that. I haven't got any proprietary oven cleaner to hand and I wondered if anyone had suggestions for the best alternative. I live in a flat and don't have a back door I can open to disperse harsh chemicals so that's another reason for not using the bought stuff. It also has a glass door that was once transparent!

Whitewavemark2 Thu 14-Jan-21 07:53:53

My oven was always dreadful as tbh working full time etc meant I honestly didn’t have time to keep on top of everything even though I had a lady to do.

Had a new kitchen fitted, and haven’t looked back. Once a week I clean it.
Absolutely dead simple takes at the most 10 minutes with just washing up liquid and a wire scrubber.

Looks like new after 3 years? so that’s what I recommend once your oven gets a good clean. It makes hard work a thing of the past.

shysal Thu 14-Jan-21 07:11:44

Oven Pride works very well and has no smell. I sponge over interior and put shelves in the bag provided and leave over night. Only a wash needed next morning, almost a pleasure! I sometimes add my black enamel baking trays to the bag too.

CerysHeath Thu 14-Jan-21 05:23:46

If you are afraid of using the wrong oven cleaning products, then I suggest you hire someone to do the cleaning or stick with natural cleaning solutions. For the latter one, you can search online for the best mixture for your needs. In my case, I tried baking soda plus lemon. While it removed the grease, it didn’t deep cleaned my oven. So in the end, I still opted for this oven cleaning company Southampton to help me out. I hope this answers your question.

Pittcity Thu 16-Apr-20 08:16:40

I have just popped my shelves into the dishwasher. Thanks for the tip canalboatgranma.

BradfordLass73 Thu 16-Apr-20 06:31:54

No good to UK residents unless its imported but this is what I use:

www.paknsaveonline.co.nz/product/5026543_ea_000pns?name=oven-power-low-odour-oven-%26-bbq-cleaner-kit

You pop the oven racks in a bag (so it it ammonia I wonder?) and leave them, then just rinse dry.

SueH49 Thu 16-Apr-20 01:31:46

We used to be able to buy a product that was a container which you poured hot water into and left sitting in the oven. It was ammonia and stank the place out but it worked wonders.

I had Ovenu do mine a while ago and like everything else it is dependent on the person doing it but let's just say the result was less than amazing.

Has anyone used a steam cleaner on their oven? I'm looking to buy a steam mop for the tile floors and several of them come with an attachment to clean the oven.

Framilode Sun 12-Apr-20 16:37:17

I was told by a lady who was in charge of inspecting forces accommodation when they moved out that the best way to clean an oven is to put all the metal parts into a bin bag and add ammonia. Tie it tight and leave outside overnight. The next day, not matter how baked on the grease, it just rinses off.

I tried it and it works and have always done this since.

Laughterlines Sun 12-Apr-20 15:47:00

Sugar soap works for me cuts through grease everywhere not only the cooker, but the glass door as well. I put it down the drains and plug holes as well. Cheaper than chemical drain cleaner.

rosecarmel Sun 12-Apr-20 15:43:17

I make a paste of concentrated lemon juice and baking soda, let it sit for a day, scrub it the next- It works better than anything I've ever used-

Charleygirl5 Sun 12-Apr-20 15:34:59

Carillion it is money well spent I think. It is a job I loathe and I only have an "ordinary" electric oven, not a Rangemaster. He spends around 3 hours here so heaven knows how long it will take for yours.

Carillion01 Sun 12-Apr-20 14:14:32

On a thread earlier this year I read what Maw posted about Ovenu. I made a mental note about it and found Ovenufrance, part of the international franchise. I contacted them and they quoted and confirmed they would travel to where we live.

Obviously the pandemic has halted all normal life but I'll definitely contact them when it is safe for everyone, health-wise. We have a Rangemaster which was in need of tlc when we moved in six years ago and although I've regularly tried to blitz it with a variety of products I think Ovenu would give me a chance to really get on top of the cleaning.

Kittye Sun 12-Apr-20 13:27:58

I normally have my oven professionally cleaned about £40. I think it’s well worth it. I kept dithering about when to have it cleaned again...now I’ve left it to late ! It will be quite disgusting when the poor man comes to clean it again?

Canalboatgranma Sun 12-Apr-20 12:52:36

I put the shelves in the dishwasher, they come out beautifully clean

Buffybee Sat 11-Apr-20 22:26:39

Oven cleaning! The most hated job, I wipe over when I remember and have it professionally cleaned once a year.... £50 and worth every penny.

MawB Sat 11-Apr-20 22:17:20

Ovenu
I have a range cooker with 4 ovens and a gas hob with cast iron supports. It is a brute to clean and think I paid about £70 or £80 to have Ovenu. Money really well spent.
They practically dismantled the ovens, the fans etc, replaced all the bulbs (which had died) and generally made it look like new.
There is no way an individual could have done it without the equipment and knowledge they have.

Grandmafrench Sat 11-Apr-20 22:09:49

Take all the racks out of your oven, and put them on a couple of old towels in the bottom of your bath. No bath? Shower tray perhaps? And block the drain. Nothing to harm the surface as long as towels are put down to prevent any scratches. From the hot tap and maybe a kettle of boiled water pour enough water over the racks to cover and mix in a dishwasher tab or 2, or gel. Leave in the liquid overnight.

In a dish mix up some baking soda with a little water - enough to make a creamy paste. Use rubber gloves to make using your hands easier and then smooth the paste over the surfaces of the oven (avoiding heating elements etc.,) Wipe over the door last with the paste and then leave overnight.

In the morning scrub off the racks in the bath with a hard brush or sponge and, if necessary use something like Cif on any remaining stains. Rinse well and dry.

Wipe off with a cloth wrung out in hot water all the surfaces of the oven. Any nooks and crannies or difficult parts can be sprayed with some white vinegar - which will cause the baking powder to bubble and lift off stubborn marks. Clean and dry, clean and dry the door.

Elbow grease required in some cases but no chemicals, no worries about splashes or fumes and most of us have the ingredients to mix up for cleaning purposes.

Charleygirl5 Sat 11-Apr-20 21:46:27

£25 to clean an oven? I live in NW London and here it is closer to £90 and his prices go up each year. Amazingly I have mine done every 3-4 years.

I no longer have a bath so I cannot soak anything.

kaycee Sat 11-Apr-20 19:11:25

I use Oven Mate - brilliant. You can get it from Lakeland. They do one for the racks and one for the oven.

Hetty58 Tue 31-Mar-20 23:51:15

In normal times, I use the local 'Grease Lightning' and they take stuff out to steam clean in their van.

Otherwise, bicarbonate of soda mixed with a little washing up liquid does a reasonable job of it. mbmb, get a Teflon liner sheet for the bottom -and maybe just ignore it until you can get the professionals in?

Callistemon Tue 31-Mar-20 23:43:11

Brillo other makes are available

Callistemon Tue 31-Mar-20 23:42:23

£25? What's his or her number?

Ours quoted £60 so I cleaned it myself and always mean to keep it up.

I have spread a bicarb solution on before now and let it dry before washing off, it's ok ish. A Brillo pad? Although you're not supposed to brillo the doors.
Soaking the racks as other suggest sounds a good idea, I may try that.

Curlywhirly Tue 31-Mar-20 22:56:41

I just use Cif. To be honest I use it for all sorts - did my kitchen floor grouting with it yesterday. I find a steel scrubbing pad is brilliant for getting the gunk off the shelves and just use a sponge scourer for the door and oven bottom. Takes me about 30 mins. I do however wipe the oven door every week, and use an oven liner (Aldi do them, about £2.50 I think?) which helps a lot. I have heard that soaking the shelves overnight in the bath and some biological soap powder is good too.

Floradora9 Tue 31-Mar-20 22:33:13

" Elbow Grease " the product not an instruction. I did mine to-day and it works well .

SalsaQueen Tue 31-Mar-20 13:13:03

"Astonish" works well, I've found

mbmb Tue 31-Mar-20 12:16:39

Thank you for all the suggestions so far!