Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Stay in NZ or return home to UK?

(85 Posts)
GrandmaKT Mon 20-Apr-20 08:12:01

Hi grans - urgent advice needed please!

We have been in New Zealand since January, staying with my DS, his DP and GS. We were due to return on 1st May, but obviously all flights are cancelled.

The British govt. has now put on some 'rescue' flights to repatriate UK nationals. (Would have to pay £800 each).These are in the next 2 weeks.

It is obviously very safe here (only 12 Covid deaths in the whole country). NZ are gradually relaxing measures and should be out of lockdown in a few weeks. We have visas until the end of July, which would probably to extended under the circumstances. If we don't take the flights on offer we don't know how long it might be before we can get a flight and how much it might cost.

We can stay with family here, though would probably rent somewhere for a month or two as we've been locked down for a month now! We are helpful looking after GS as both parents are medics, but he could go to daycare.

In the UK, we live in a pretty safe area and have our own house to isolate in. We are both in good health. I only have the media and what family tell me to go on. So, how bad is it really over there? What would you do??

Thanks!

Eglantine21 Mon 20-Apr-20 08:26:21

Stay.

No question about it. You are safe in a beautiful country with your family and you’re useful to them too.

Unless you’ve got pressing obligations here, just enjoy your extra time with them.

Grannybags Mon 20-Apr-20 08:28:23

Stay. New Zealand are handling it really well

GagaJo Mon 20-Apr-20 08:29:16

OMG, stay there! You're safe and well. You're in a lovely place. You'll be out of lockdown a LOT sooner than the UK.

Most of us would change places with you if we could!

On a practical note, I'm meant to return to work next month. Flights are open to book (not that I have yet). So you should be fine by July.

Gemini17892 Mon 20-Apr-20 08:30:59

My first instinct was to say ‘ stay ‘. But it depends whether you have other family members over here. It does seem NZ is a safer bet at the moment though.

Hetty58 Mon 20-Apr-20 08:41:09

Stay there for Heaven's sake. Travel is risky and you'd just be coming home to lockdown (I'm fairly sure we'll need a few more).

Ellianne Mon 20-Apr-20 08:44:58

I might be going against the trend here and I would come back. New Zealand is a beautiful country and my family liv

newnanny Mon 20-Apr-20 08:52:38

Stay in NZ with family as if you come back to UK we arevin lock down snd hundreds dying every day, and with hospitals running out of drugs to treat patients and nnot enough ppe for hospital staff.

Ellianne Mon 20-Apr-20 08:53:07

Ooops ..... my family lives there. Their leader did and is doing a brilliant job. Of course things are far far worse in the UK but where I live no one I has caught it yet and life does carry on around us albeit differently. There is something comforting about being in ones own country and from experience I know I preferred to be back on British soil when a mini crisis arose a while back. The other consideration is whether you have other family members here in the UK too.
The plane journey is naturally a concern but the way NZ disinfects everything at the slightest suggestion of contamination I feel sure they will put precautions in place.
It isn't just a simple stay or leave, but you will find an answer to suit you.

PamelaJ1 Mon 20-Apr-20 09:01:00

We had that dilemma in February.

A little different as we had been visiting ourDD in NSW for a couple of months then flew to Perth to visit friends on the way home. This meant that we would have had to fly back to NSW.
That was possible, however, at the time no one really knew what was going on.
We had our flight cancelled but Trailfinders got us seats with Qatar, you would be flying with them too I presume?

The things we were concerned with were the insurance on the house, my business (now ex business! For the foreseeable future) and the fact that we had timed our return for Grandparent duties. Ha, Ha. We haven’t even seen the little emperor through the window!

With hindsight, a wonderful thing, we should have stayed.

We are safe here, you say you would be too, but we have lots to do so we aren’t too bored.
You have what we didn’t. Time to decide.

Granny23 Mon 20-Apr-20 09:01:56

You are so lucky to be in NZ where the PM and Government have been exemplary in coping with the pandemic. Do not return here where the worst is yet to come, we lurch from crisis to crisis, the death toll figures are fudged. We are currently in a rudderless ship with no one with a grip on the wheel.

Stay Safe - Stay in NZ

Eglantine21 Mon 20-Apr-20 09:06:06

I’ll say again stay.

The political infighting, points scoring and propaganda is enough to depress anyone.........

DillytheGardener Mon 20-Apr-20 09:16:04

Absolutely stay. My son lives in Auckland, NZ and I’m so glad that that he is safe there. Jacinda Arden is doing a wonderful job and I wish the government here had been half as proactive as her. I was supposed to visit in May, but I now wish I’d booked earlier in Feb so I could have weathered the storm in NZ rather than U.K.

ellemmay Mon 20-Apr-20 09:18:34

We came back from New Zealand in mid-February and I really wish we hadn’t. Unless you have a pressing need to come home I would say stay where you are and let things settle down here before you return. In my opinion the UK is like a rudderless ship lurching from one crisis to another and you are much better of where you are with your GS. Kia Kaha!

ellemmay Mon 20-Apr-20 09:23:38

oops! I said the same thing shortly after you; no plagiarism, I promise. great minds ...

Juliet27 Mon 20-Apr-20 09:24:21

Some good advice given. A wonderful country led by a remarkable woman. If I had half a chance I’d stay in NZ permanently.

ellemmay Mon 20-Apr-20 09:25:28

my last post was for Granny23. sorry, I’m new to this.

DillytheGardener Mon 20-Apr-20 09:31:11

Ellemmay, gosh I had no plagiarism thoughts at all! I’m jealous you got to go, was is it as marvellous as my son describes?

DillytheGardener Mon 20-Apr-20 09:33:31

Also to the OP, I would also keep in mind the trip back would expose you to risk of catching the virus. If I were you I’d hunker down in NZ (then apply for a residency visa ?)

harrigran Mon 20-Apr-20 09:39:38

Stay where you are, much safer.
This country is a shambles, flights carrying workers from overseas arriving and ferry services for people crossing the channel in small boats, what part of cross infection do they not understand ?
I have not left my home since February.
NZ are to be congratulated for their common sense approach.

25Avalon Mon 20-Apr-20 09:47:46

We visited New Zealand 4 years ago and it is an absolutely fantastic country with wonderful people. If I were in your position I would want to stay there especially with your family being there. On top of being a beautiful country it is so much safer than here. Everything here is uncertain and I don't think I would fancy the flight nor the trip through the airport where there are risks.
However it does depend what commitments you have here. Is your house ok and is it covered by insurance for instance? Otherwise stay where you are and enjoy an extended visit with your family.

Hetty58 Mon 20-Apr-20 09:50:24

Why come 'home' when home is weird - very far from normal anyway? There's not a lot to do here, being pretty much on house arrest.

BlueBelle Mon 20-Apr-20 09:54:04

It is safer but I d be hankering to be home it’s not all milk and honey to be away from your own home
Of course NZ is safer not hard to run a country of under 5.000.000 with loads and loads of space, no ones on top of each other like in parts of UK I m sure U.K. would be just as safe if we had 5.000.000 and not 70.000.000 in the same size space
I go out to NZ to my son for three weeks at a time and am always glad to get home although I love them all dearly
However what suits one doesn’t suit another depends what you ve got to come back to, jobs, garden, pets, other family, other grandkids , no one can work this out for you

annodomini Mon 20-Apr-20 10:00:55

If I were you, I would stay. You are much safer where you are. I have heard disturbing stories, from close family members, about the chaos at our airports where you can't avoid being closer than the required 6 feet apart. Even in an antipodean winter, you're better off staying where you are.

Barmeyoldbat Mon 20-Apr-20 10:41:29

Stay, just stay. House insurance, well contact your insurance company and tell them you will be away longer. What a lovely place to be in lockdown and with family.