Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Over 70s

(242 Posts)
Issy Fri 24-Apr-20 11:58:04

Anyone happy to stay in lockdown for 12 to 18 months?

Eglantine21 Fri 24-Apr-20 11:59:03

Yup, if it means staying alive for another 12 to 18 years.....

EllanVannin Fri 24-Apr-20 12:08:51

Why not, if it's going to lengthen our lives ? We'll still remain alive to see the family at some point which is worth the wait rather than never seeing them again ? I know what I prefer.

ninathenana Fri 24-Apr-20 12:21:32

If over 70s stay in lockdown for another 18mths but others are out and about surely that still means they will not be seeing their grandchildren because they won't be visiting for fear of bringing the virus to them.
Looking on the dark side regardless of the virus there is a possibility that some so far healthy people may not be around in 18ths.
I'm not 70 but DH is 72 the thought of not being able to get in the car and go where we want horifues me.

sodapop Fri 24-Apr-20 12:22:09

Not happy Issy but I will do what it takes to protect others. If this means staying clear of the virus so others don't have to care for me then so be it.

ninathenana Fri 24-Apr-20 12:24:00

Posted too soon.

....we want for another 18mths is horrifying

Eglantine21 Fri 24-Apr-20 12:26:19

More horrifying than catching the virus?

Missedout Fri 24-Apr-20 12:28:15

No, I'm not. While I'm well, I want to see my family, run around after the grandchildren, go on holiday.

I may not make 12 to 18 months, this time is precious too. I think I should have a choice, even if I have to carry a certificate at all times to say I don't want to be treated if taken ill with Covid19.

I also worry that, after living in a bubble for such a long time, sudden exposure to all sorts of bugs will knock me sideways. No, I don't think I could stay in lockdown for that long.

Eglantine21 Fri 24-Apr-20 12:28:43

That sounded a bit abrupt. Sorry. I guess not doing what you want is more distressing for some people. Me, I hate being ill and that’s what I dread.

annsixty Fri 24-Apr-20 12:49:43

At nearly 83 with family living 5 hours away, I am not happy but I will do it.
I may never see them again and my hip operation cancelled 5 days before I was due to have it on March27th will probably never be done now, but my sacrifice is minute compared to those who have lost their lives, we can all do, it of course we can.

Witzend Fri 24-Apr-20 12:56:54

I would hate not seeing the family, especially the grandchildren, for so long. To be frank I would take my chance and voluntarily waive any right to burdening the NHS with my care - if I get it I will recover or die at home.
Better than my poor mother’s fate anyway - dementia for at least 15 years until she died at 97, a most pitiful wreck.

Sparklefizz Fri 24-Apr-20 13:06:05

^ I will do what it takes to protect others. If this means staying clear of the virus so others don't have to care for me then so be it.^

Ditto, sodapop, although I shall be very sad if we have to do that.

NannyDee Fri 24-Apr-20 13:40:39

My DH has terminal cancer, so the thought of his final months still in lockdown really distresses me. I had hoped we could spend his last few months making memories, seeing family, spending time with grandchildren etc but I don’t think that will be possible now.

ninathenana Fri 24-Apr-20 13:44:18

I said it's horrifying, I didn't say I wouldn't do it.

Eglantine21 Fri 24-Apr-20 14:00:13

ninathenana* I realised it sounded a bit sharp after I posted.?

I’m really much happier at home where I feel safe than taking a chance. I tried going for a walk at the beginning of isolation but it made me so edgy weaving my way round other people, wondering if they had the virus that it was actually a relief when my OH got put into total lockdown.

I suppose because I have family working in hospitals that I know and can envisage what it can be like. I don’t seem to be able to belong to the group that can say ‘I’m fit and healthy, it won’t happen to me’ or “I’ll take my chance.”

I can understand that those who know their time is limited will feel differently. I find it hard to understand those who would put a potential 10 or 20 years with their family at risk for the sake of seeing them now.

I truly didn’t mean to offend you.

Ellianne Fri 24-Apr-20 14:22:47

I wouldn't be happy to stay in lockdown for more than maybe another 3 months. It would be like bereavement when it comes to not seeing family and also impractical. I feel the powers that be will be very concerned about people's mental health if they deprive them of seeing their families.
The problem will come when schools re open because grandparents, many over 70, provide care for children while parents work. Picking children up from school is impossible to do with social distancing and even one's own grandchildren will have come into contact with all sorts of people during the school day.
I would let everyone of any age visit family for one week at the end of May (Whitsun) and then return to school at the beginning of June with as many precautions in place as possible. My thinking is that if most families have been in lockdown over the past 6 - 9 weeks, then they will be virus free and not be infectious. Mingling with family particularly older members AFTER the return to school will bring untold dangers.

BlueSky Fri 24-Apr-20 14:39:08

As I said elsewhere please advise us over 70 on what to do but do not make it compulsory just for this age group! Especially if there are no major health conditions to go with age and let us act responsibly as I've read they are going to do in France soon!

Framilode Fri 24-Apr-20 14:44:03

I am not prepared to stay in lockdown for another 12-18 months. I would rather take my chances and risk the virus. Why would I be risking others if they are already out of lockdown? I will sign a waiver regarding treatment but I am NOT going to stay locked down for all that time, law or no law.

Eglantine21 Fri 24-Apr-20 14:52:14

The trouble is whether we like it or not, and regardless of how fit we feel, our bodies are ageing and this is a virus that is serious for the over 70s.

1 in 5 of us will require hospital treatment.

With around 9 million over 70s that could be almost 2 million hospital cases if everyone met up at the end of May.

There’s no quick fix to this.

Anybody who has lost a child or a grandchild will tell you that not seeing them for a few months cant be compared in any way to a bereavement, when you know that you will never see them again.

craftyone Fri 24-Apr-20 14:52:36

whatever it takes, I can see a good 20 years ahead of me after lockdown. Feeling lucky to have a nice home and garden and hobbies

Ellianne Fri 24-Apr-20 15:00:14

"Anybody who has lost a child or a grandchild will tell you that not seeing them for a few months cant be compared in any way to a bereavement, when you know that you will never see them again."

And that is exactly my point about mental health Eglantine. Many may well see it like a bereavement and to them it will be just as real.

NanTheWiser Fri 24-Apr-20 15:11:46

'Fraid not. I'm used to living on my own, and happy with my own company, but the thought of not being able to go out for 12-18 months would be the straw that broke the camel's back.

At 73, I don't know how many more years I've got left (although I am pretty healthy - not on any medication), and I'd rather not have it shortened with a long spell of incarceration.

I dearly want to be able to meet my daughter and grandchildren, and a little bit of freedom to go where I want, so I shall just have to take my chances as others have said.

I don't even think it's a viable proposition, it would have to be purely voluntary, as who would police it?

Eglantine21 Fri 24-Apr-20 15:25:28

It isadvice bluesky. I m not sure where you got the idea that it’s compulsoryfor over 70s. The advice is that we are particularly vunerable so should take extra precautions.

Even for OH who is shielding, it’s still advice.

Eglantine21 Fri 24-Apr-20 15:29:37

Well if lots of people decide they wont isolate any more I guess we have to be prepared for that second wave and for the death toll to shoot up again.

I just hope people remember that was the choice they made and don’t start blaming others,

JoyBloggs Fri 24-Apr-20 15:47:30

Anybody who has lost a child or a grandchild will tell you that not seeing them for a few months cant be compared in any way to a bereavement, when you know that you will never see them again.
Eglantine I echo your words.