Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Is it because I’m the youngest?

(33 Posts)
Grammaretto Sun 07-Jun-20 07:50:37

It sounds like they gang up on you. How horrid.
They may be jealous of you but family dynamics are interesting. If it's any consolation, my in-laws call their youngest "the kid". she's almost 60 with teenaged DGC.

You don't need their approval but it isn't kind to put you down.

I notice teasing in our family WhatsApp group too and accept it but one of our DS is a joker and his siblings don't find it funny. I get accused of cheating in the quiz. We are mostly in agreement on politics, luckily.
Is it video or texts?.
Our group is just our DC. I don't have a group with my siblings. Life's too short!

jenpax Sun 07-Jun-20 07:31:38

Have you spoken to them individually to tell them that when you post stuff you would welcome kinder comments from them as these are important hobbies for you?
They sound a bit insensitive and I wonder if they are closer in age to each other than you you?
Other than that as others have said just mute the conversations and perhaps don’t post much stuff, they may get the message!

craftyone Sun 07-Jun-20 07:19:42

leave whatsapp, I have 5 younger siblings, one from aus was being very derogatory about the uk and I am defensive about the uk, rather than me becoming snipey, I left whatsapp, not in a huff but to avoid any confrontation with this particular sister. We are all close but saying things from aus having had a few drinks in the evening can make words come out in a wrong way, like e mails

Your choice, you don`t need to be there

DanniRae Sun 07-Jun-20 07:11:08

Sounds to me like they are a bit jealous of you? Do you think this can be true?
Anyway I would take Jane10's advice.

Jane10 Sat 06-Jun-20 21:50:52

Why not 'mute' the conversations? You'll not be alerted to a new message but they'll all be there if you want to read them. If you don't respond much they'll maybe get the message?

mrshat Sat 06-Jun-20 21:05:50

I think being the youngest can mean you are fair game for older siblings to 'tease'. It's the habit of a lifetime. They somehow forget you have grown into an adult too and if you live far away, they don't see you that often, so you are still the 'baby'. Just say what you need and ignore any unacceptable comments. Take care from another 'baby'.

vampirequeen Sat 06-Jun-20 20:50:13

Rant away. Sometimes we just need to vent.

ladytina42 Sat 06-Jun-20 17:55:17

I belong to a Watapp group which is just me and my 3 sisters. I’ve noticed a few comments lately that have upset Me and I am wondering what I should do about it.

The first one is that one of my sister has made a couple of mildly racist comments when she was angry about a service she received. I said nothing at the time but it annoyed me so much I spoke to another sister who said ‘oh she was just angry and that’s why she said that’

Ashamed to say I let it go for the sake of harmony. Another thing is that I like to try out different crafts and ideas and a couple of times I’ve posted pictures of things I’ve made only to be met with comments such as ‘don’t give up the day job’ and ‘ha ha’ but if they post stuff it’s all ‘lovely, looks great’ etc..

Finally, they were all kicking off with comments about the ‘inconvenience’ of COVID19 and how it’s spoilt their plans and I found myself wanting to scream. My husband says he doesn’t know how we are all related and they are so different from me and maybe I should leave the group but we all different parts of the country and 2 of my sisters live near my elderly dad (I am 400 miles away) so I rely in part on them for information on his health and well being.

I think I just needed to rant.