Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Listening more than talking

(91 Posts)
Newquay Sat 27-Jun-20 17:54:38

Is it just me? Since this pandemic started I’ve made a list of some 2 dozen or so folk I know-many alone and shielding-to remind me to keep in touch with them; by phone or FT. Some friends I have continued to meet up with too-in each other’s gardens at a safe distance. Last night I met up with a good friend of long standing and we «walked and talked» or I should say we walked and I listened. It made me think that I only ever seem to listen-if they were asked afterwards what I’d said they wouldn’t know! I DO have contributions to make and am willing to do so but can’t get a word in edge ways!!

Newquay Wed 08-Jul-20 09:16:24

Morning all-I’ve been emailed by a long time friend to ask if I’m free this afty for her to call-she’s been v busy so I’ll make a drink, get comfy (or put phone on speaker and find a job to do!) while she tells me ALL about everything. At some point she’ll throw me completely and suddenly ask how I am and family too and go completely silent-that’s my turn, see?-then straight back into listening! Good job I can ?

welbeck Wed 08-Jul-20 02:54:54

Alexa

PS if I said what really interests me most people would run a mile.

so, what is it ?????

Alexa Sun 05-Jul-20 09:25:32

No, Welbeck, thanks! I am not psycho just an idiot more so than most.

welbeck Sun 05-Jul-20 02:31:54

Alexa,
taxidermy ?
butchery for beginners ?
how to make friends and scam people ?
how i achieved humbleness, in ten volumes ?

gi's us a clue !
or is it too horrid to mention...

welbeck Sun 05-Jul-20 02:28:31

most of us cannot afford that alas, at least i cannot.

Catterygirl Fri 03-Jul-20 17:07:28

I trained in psychotherapy but for personal reasons didn't take my residential final exams. Might still do so. It's good to listen. What I am recommending is a professional who will listen because they are trained and paid to do so. Just a thought.

Alexa Wed 01-Jul-20 09:35:22

PS if I said what really interests me most people would run a mile.

Alexa Wed 01-Jul-20 09:33:52

I don't have anyone to talk to me apart from my kind sons, and I'd welcome some friendly person who wants to talk to me. My two friends who I talked with over the phone are dead and I don't leave my house and garden.

I managed an exchange with the Tesco man yesterday I asked was his cab warm enough and he said he'd had to take his coat off. I'd like to have cuddled him but of course I could not say any such thing and I cuddled my dog.

faye17 Wed 01-Jul-20 02:12:10

Well said Welbeck

faye17 Wed 01-Jul-20 02:10:29

That message is for you Newatthis smile

faye17 Wed 01-Jul-20 02:05:40

And how IS your new grand-daughter? HUGE CONGRATULATIONS to you & all your family
Enjoy, enjoy, enjoy flowers

Nvella Tue 30-Jun-20 19:13:06

A friend of mine says she waits for a gap and says “And now it’s my turn”!

Kate1949 Tue 30-Jun-20 13:33:08

Thank you Peardrop . So far so good. He has been in remission for 6 years. We were lucky. My poor friend's husband wasn't.

Peardrop50 Tue 30-Jun-20 12:50:36

Kate1949, gosh it must be difficult to hear that 'you have no idea' when clearly you absolutely do. Hope things are going well for you both.

mistymitts Tue 30-Jun-20 11:38:55

Some people forget that conversation is a two way thing. If you are really feeling that you would like to off load, and talk openly without any judgement, where the time is all just for you, and for you to talk about all that's troubling you, please phone the Samaritans. They are always open and are there to listen to you, just talking about things really can help.

Newquay Tue 30-Jun-20 11:08:00

Oh and. . .some folk are hard of hearing too! When I asked a long time friend who talks a lot about herself(she was an indulged only child) and she seemed not to hear I PERSISTED and asked if she’d heard me and did she think she might have hearing problems? DEFINITELY NOT!!

Newquay Tue 30-Jun-20 10:35:37

Wow! What a can of worms I opened! Glad to hear it’s not just me! As OP said I know God gave us 2 ears and 1 mouth to listen more than talk but, honestly, some folk do go on don’t they? I like the radiator/drain analogy. Funnily enough the good friend I’d had the walk and talk with is SO involved with many folk, helping out etc. So I have to hear all about them and their problems. I made a new friend a few years ago and we just hit it off and have lovely conversations. She’s recently bereaved and has no DGC so I’m always careful about what we talk about (little GC boasting from me!). I have to remind DH when I encourage his to ring his lonely sister to listen more than talk. You’d think by the time you get to our age you’d know that wouldn’t you? I have noticed that few of the “coronials” folk I make contact with rarely ring me back although they DO say they’re glad I called! Oh dear this is beginning to make me sound saintly which I’m not at all-just exasperated and as fed up with this tedium as everyone else!

Kate1949 Tue 30-Jun-20 09:53:43

Yes Peardrop it does make you feel better to have a reasonable conversation.
The person I had the difficult conversation with last week has had a rotten time, which is why I phoned her. Her DH died of cancer a couple of years ago. She tells me every aspect of his illness and treatment, hospital visits, scans etc every time I call. It was really awful for her. However, she says ''you have no idea'
My DH has the same cancer, fortunately in remission at present. We had all the visits, scans, 37 days of radiotherapy etc. I get a bit miffed at the 'you have no idea'.

mumofmadboys Tue 30-Jun-20 07:58:41

How lovely nana5852 to make a new good friend.

nana5852 Tue 30-Jun-20 05:46:21

I have so enjoyed reading this thread. So thanks to all the above contributors. I sense a mood of, justifiable, fed-upness. I understand and share some of the above experiences of being taken for granted. I just wanted to interject with my very positive experience of finding a friend in the time of Covid. A fellow volunteer at our local charity shop has been popping round from time to time with gifts of home grown produce. We sit in the garden and natter companionably. I have enjoyed learning about her life and family. I have no idea if anyone hogs more of the conversational time than the other. The listening has been interesting and the talking easy. To connect with another person is a joy.
The ego-centric chat hoggers aren’t really looking to connect. We are all likely to be needy and greedy with others from time to time. Some folk seem to get stuck in that way of being. Annoying, but what a lot they are missing.

welbeck Mon 29-Jun-20 19:51:31

it's tricky isn't it.
years ago i knew a very interesting woman, well she'd had an interesting life, much older than me.
she shared a lot of her life with me, not really a conversation, but difficult times she had lived through and not spoken of.
it felt a bit like counselling. i felt she needed to talk it out, and i felt honoured that she trusted me.
so i assumed there was some connection between us.
but now i'm not so sure. i've had similar experiences since.
i guess that's why people speak with a counsellor or confessor, rather than a friend.
perhaps i got it wrong. it was not a sign of friendship, almost the opposite, a sign that i was not a friend, so could function as a listening ear.
that was at the beginning of our acquaintance. which began when she asked me to give her a lift to a cathedral to hear a speaker.
later she would ramble on about obscure relatives of past neighbours, and i would be baffled. who cares. they were not her intimates. why did she even waste her mind on that.
she also went through the rubbish bin of her lodger, told me that he'd had a take-away. i said that was his business.
she said i've got to know what is going on in my house.
they never stayed long, the lodgers.

PinkCakes Mon 29-Jun-20 19:30:22

I must say, in my job as a ward receptionist, I'm always on the receiving end of someone who wants to talk a lot. I don't mind that, as the patients and/or relatives need to offload or to ask questions.

PinkCakes Mon 29-Jun-20 19:28:04

One of my friends keeps in touch daily, by texts. She's 39, so much younger than me.

We tell each other about our day/meals we've made, exciting stuff like that grin, but whenever we meet up or chat on the 'phone, she yaps on about herself and her husband/holidays/kid/savings/how successful her husband is, etc., etc.

Almost as an afterthought (about 10 minutes before the end of a 1 hour chat), she'll ask how I am or she'll ask about my family. I can only think she must be lonely/insecure.

grannyrebel7 Mon 29-Jun-20 19:20:43

I always find myself listening rather than talking too. Next door neighbour being a prime example also! She never ever asks me a thing about myself. I don't care atm with lockdown I haven't got anything to talk about anyway. I feel like my world has really shrunk.

sodapop Mon 29-Jun-20 19:19:42

I knew someone like that as well V3ra not advisable to ask how he was or you got every last detail of his symptoms, every intimate medical investigation he had undergone. His wife would stand behind him waving her hand and mouthing "don't ask"