Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Skin Tags

(88 Posts)
Notinthemanual Sat 22-Aug-20 08:10:20

Has anyone had skin tags removed; either a home remedy that worked or at a private clinic.

Hetty58 Thu 18-Feb-21 23:22:27

Blossoming, never had them either - not sure what they are!

EilaRose Thu 18-Feb-21 22:56:43

Around the middle of 2020, I removed a skin tag from my neck with barely a sign of where it used to be.

By coincidence today, I am about to tie-off another on the side/back of my left knee...will need to be a contortionist to get at it but will give it my best shot because this one catches on the inside leg seam of jeans etc and then I have a stream of blood down my leg and all over pants, shoes etc.

I would never recommend cutting them off as they could become infected, but tying off seals the skin and cuts off blood supply, as per my GP a few years ago, who suggested I give it a try.

Grandmafrench Thu 18-Feb-21 21:30:55

What welbeck said. ✅

I think that a very easy-to-recognise and accessible skin tag which is under an arm or on the neck can easily be removed with fine thread tied very tightly to cut off the blood supply to it. It dries out quickly and falls off - no harm done. I don't feel that other "things" should be dismissed or worse, subjected to home treatments or experimental products. And cutting off bits with surgical scissors? How can that ever be a good idea? A Dermatologist will give you an annual check; advise and treat any lumps, bumps, spots, pimples, blemishes or moles. Better safe than sorry and without risk of infection or scarring and you'll know immediately if there is a potential problem. Money very well spent - last time my annual visit cost me the equivalent of less than 1€ per week.

Please take care of yourselves.

GagaJo Thu 18-Feb-21 21:13:22

I have recently had one on my shoulder. I kept scratching it. So eventually, I nipped it hard between 2 of my nails and it came off. Very satisfying. I have used surgical scissors before.

I love a bit of DIY skin care. I also remove milia if I can but have one on my eyelid at the moment, that is irritating me, but that I am not able to remove.

welbeck Thu 18-Feb-21 18:11:06

things that seem like pimples etc may be a form of sun damage. please get them checked out. esp anywhere on face or head, as being most exposed to the sun.
rates of skin cancer are increasing.

Calendargirl Thu 18-Feb-21 17:39:51

Blossoming

They sound alarming, what causes them?

Ageing I think!

Just harmless collagen deposits I believe. Friction can encourage them to form, but that didn’t cause the one on my cheek.

Cabbie21 Thu 18-Feb-21 16:58:22

They are not alarming, but the treatments sound alarming!
I reread the thread and saw that I had written about a kind of tag on my nose. I fiddled with it for several days, it scabbed over and eventually rubbed off when I was drying myself with a towel.
Because of putting on weight this past year my bras are too tight and I am noticing ski tags under the band. I can’t see or reach them so they will have to stay there. I don’t think I have any new ones on my neck but then I haven’t been wearing necklaces this past year.

Blossoming Thu 18-Feb-21 16:44:10

They sound alarming, what causes them?

BBbevan Thu 18-Feb-21 16:27:27

I have had two. Both times I tied a piece of cotton around it very tightly. After a week or so it fell of. No problem, painless and no mark.

Esspee Thu 18-Feb-21 08:35:51

I had one in a rather delicate area removed under the NHS but have removed others on my neck with a pair of sterilised nail clippers. You can get a cream which anaesthetises the area but I don’t know whether you need a prescription. I was given a tube while in hospital. It came in handy when I removed a sebaceous cyst on my head a year later.

Calendargirl Thu 18-Feb-21 07:12:27

Just resurrecting this post.

I’ve had a little skin tag on my cheek for a few weeks, really annoying.

I got DH to tie cotton round it, but it didn’t stay on. So I hooked the tag with tweezers, enabling him to tie it better.

It stayed on 3 days, had to be careful washing and taking jumpers on and off. Then yesterday the thread had gone, but the (blackened) tag still there. Rubbed it hard, and it came off! Slightly raised surface, but much improved.

Thanks for the useful tips.

Elizabeth1 Fri 04-Sep-20 18:12:26

Never in a million years would I cut a skin tag off it’s very dangerous and could lead to sinister outcomes. Please see your gp before you fiddle with these and keep your body safe.

Elizabeth1 Fri 04-Sep-20 11:49:27

Not a tipsy a teeny weeny rubber band

Elizabeth1 Fri 04-Sep-20 11:45:22

I bought a tag removal kit off amazon it came with a tipsy weensy rubber band and applicator which was put over the tag and stayed there until the tag dropped off pain free no blood excellent I would recommend this

MissAdventure Fri 28-Aug-20 13:31:23

Well, it's arrived.
I'll just follow these instructions.

What could possibly go wrong?

MissAdventure Tue 25-Aug-20 21:11:03

Oh, and thank you for the info. Much appreciated.

MissAdventure Tue 25-Aug-20 21:01:31

shock
It all sounds a bit scary, but I'm up for a bit of home treatment, because I can't afford private, and I was told that as long as lumps and bumps are benign, the NHS won't remove them.

TwinLolly Tue 25-Aug-20 20:30:06

MissAdventure I use garlic to burn things off too and it works a treat on some rodent ulcers that I've got. I could get the GP to use liquid nitrogen to burn them off but I don't want to waste her time. I know the drill, but with garlic!
The tag remover gadget does burn a bit as the tip touches the skin, you might see a bit of smoke too but don't let that frighten you. You feel the tip burn - and then it is over. PM me if you want more info.

MissAdventure Tue 25-Aug-20 09:49:30

Well, I have just ordered the mole skin tag remover.

Hope it's not as fierce as garlic!

Esspee Tue 25-Aug-20 08:01:20

I have zero tolerance for skin tags so simply sterilise nail clippers and cut them off. A bit of antiseptic and the job is done.

nomoreusernames Tue 25-Aug-20 04:33:36

I had 3 removed from my neck at hospital on the NHS.It wasn't classed as cosmetic because they cracked and bled through rubbing when wearing tops/blouses etc.

TwinLolly Mon 24-Aug-20 21:49:31

I got a skin tag/mole remover off the internet (see attached picture - mine is similar). It is a gadget that heats up the tip of a sharp cone-like needle (that comes with it, as well as a set of fine needles - and screws into the gadget). When switched on, you can set it on different settings - low to high. Apply the tip to the base of the skin tag and it cauterises it.

I've used the gadget over and over again and ensure that I sterilise the larger before and after each use because I only got one in the package. It is charged via a USB cable.

Notinthemanual Mon 24-Aug-20 12:19:16

Thank you all for your advice. I'll try the thread where I can, but I'm a bit kack handed. I've ordered Cryotag from Amazon. Having heard your success stories about private clinics, I might try that as my GP told me the cyst on my nose, which bleeds from time to time, is a pimple. I was at a very low ebb at the time and didn't have the wherewithal to point out I'd been dealing with pimples for 40 years so knew the difference.

Notinthemanual Mon 24-Aug-20 12:11:41

Blossoming They are said to be caused by rubbing, hence a few women mentioning getting them where their bra rubs. But they turn up everywhere, so I guess they are just another irritating reminder of aging

Cindersdad Mon 24-Aug-20 05:32:45

Ive had 3 tags removed a long time ago because they caused issues. One behind my ear which reacted badly with metal on my glasses, others because they flared up or caught on clothing. No problems since and all done under the NHS.