Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

What the heck is biting me?

(63 Posts)
tanith Fri 21-Jul-17 12:37:56

Over the last 4 days I've been bitten numerous times and blimey they don't half itch grin. We have no animals and wooden floors everywhere, first I thought it was in the garden it was happening then I got bitten on my ankle and elbow at night so stripped and hoovered the bed just in case only to find more bites this lunch time on my leg and other arm.
We've hoovered the whole house but I'm at a loss as to what the heck is finding me so tasty, oh! and OH is bite free just to add insult to injury grin
Be glad of any advice ladies as I now have nearly a dozen itchy bites.

Iam64 Fri 21-Jul-17 13:00:52

I use Avon skin so soft - it deters horse and stable flies as well as midgies.
Your pharmacist may be able to identify the culprit from sight of the bites. ive only ever had multiple bites like that when I was visiting non too clean houses with resident cats, or dogs. Cats are big culprits on the flea front.
Hope it stops and the bites don become infected ?

tanith Fri 21-Jul-17 13:20:47

What are you suggesting Iam64? wink
We've had no cats for about 8/9yrs now so I can't imagine what it would of come from.

kittylester Fri 21-Jul-17 13:29:26

Bedbugs? Have you been away? Apparently, one of the most common ways of introducing them to your room is by brining them back from a hotel via your bags.

Itching now!!!!

TriciaF Fri 21-Jul-17 13:31:28

What do the spots look like, Tanith?
The itchiest bites I get are from harvest mites (aoutats). Sometimes the spots don't appear until the next day.
Small red bumps with a tiny white blister in the centre.
Otherwise fleas? Their bites cover a bigger skin area, similar to mossies.
You have my sympathies!

ninathenana Fri 21-Jul-17 13:32:14

?? Your boss' dogs.

ninathenana Fri 21-Jul-17 13:33:04

Ignor that, sorry was thinking of another poster blush

PamelaJ1 Fri 21-Jul-17 13:35:06

Kittylester got there first. We brought a bedbug back from holiday once. We stayed in a hotel near Gatwick. Lucky it was only one and I caught it. Now I never put my suitcase On the bed in hotels. It goes on that stand or on the wardrobe.

cornergran Fri 21-Jul-17 13:50:26

Think the best advice is to ask a pharmacist if they can identify it. Dont panic, what ever it is there will be a cure.

Jalima1108 Fri 21-Jul-17 14:04:46

My ankles have been bitten and are so itchy I've had to take anti-histamine tablets. I think I got caught sitting outside on warm evenings and the little blighters find me more tasty than DH who rarely gets bitten.

Eglantine19 Fri 21-Jul-17 14:14:02

I only use hard shell suitcases now and wipe them down before I bring them back into the house. I think it sounds like bed bugs too.

tanith Fri 21-Jul-17 14:27:38

Thanks for the suggestions we haven't been away although OH was in hospital for a few days eeeek!! I'm imagining all sorts now. I'll get something to spray the bed and change and vacuum it again.

tanith Fri 21-Jul-17 14:30:25

Forgot to say the bites are about 1/2 inch across red with a harder raised middle bit IFYSWIM grin much like fleas .

callgirl1 Fri 21-Jul-17 16:36:50

You could be picking up fleas from outside, especially if you`ve been near long grass. I always know if Mia has fleas, I`m the only human in the house who gets bitten! Try spraying your whole house with Indorex spray.

TriciaF Fri 21-Jul-17 17:27:48

Flea bites are usually in groups of 3 or 4. And fleas like ankles.
Then there's tick bites shock
I've had all those here (sw France) . Even bedbugs from a hotel we once stayed in but those were all below the waist.

Sparklefizz Sun 23-Jul-17 09:29:47

Now is the "flea season" in gardens and long grass, as callgirl1 says. I was reading an article in the paper yesterday about bird fleas coming down the chimney - would that be a possibility?

Angela1961 Sun 23-Jul-17 09:57:04

We have a 4 year old house cat who has never gone out at all (except vets) . Recently we noticed that she was loosing fur and was constantly biting herself in a certain place, closer inspection showed thinking hair,spots etc. A trip to the vets confirmed fleas ! We explained she was a house cat and was told it's not unusual for people to pick up a flea and carry it back home. I wonder if that might have happened to you ? Obviously one flea does not remain a singleton so you might have house guests ! Buy a flea spray and go over all your nooks and crannys ( the house ? lol !) and take an antihistamine yourself.

Alidoll Sun 23-Jul-17 10:03:44

Don't know where in the country u live but mosquitos? You could have skeeter syndrome (allergy to the saliva they inject). Brings up REALLY itchy sores that weep yellow fluid. Just back from Croatia and they bit my legs something terrible. If there's pooled water / then there may be mosquitoes

Sheilasue Sun 23-Jul-17 10:10:00

We have a house cat and we give him a flea jab every 6 months. In this hot weather where we have windows open day and night you can get them fly in they are so tiny you never see the little devils.
Take some antihistamine they do help.

tanith Sun 23-Jul-17 10:11:57

I'm in the UK so any of your suggestions is possible it's been a couple of days now with no new bites but it's been raining so I've not spent much time outside. Thanks for all the suggestions.

GrumpyOldBat Sun 23-Jul-17 10:31:28

There are spiders that bite, leaving an inflamed itchy patch with a hard lump in the middle. Anti-histamines and Zambuk, if you can get it, if not, Tiger Balm on the bites - stings a bit but really clears them up and repels other hungry bugs to boot.

Jalima1108 Sun 23-Jul-17 10:34:43

Ah! Tiger balm, I will have to 'borrow' DH's as I don't like using a steroid cream (although that worked).
And the anti-histamine did help, I got a night's sleep.

No dogs or cats here either, just mozzies or gnats whichever they are.

Jalima1108 Sun 23-Jul-17 10:36:37

Alidoll yes, this one was weeping.
I have had sandfly bites too and they do that

Hope you're feeling better now tanith

grandtanteJE65 Sun 23-Jul-17 10:41:22

It sound to me like fleas, and as it is mainly your ankles that are bitten, animal fleas not the ones that breed on humans.

You can pick them up anywhere, as if there is no dog or cat nearby, or whatever animal they prefer, the hop onto the nearest human or animal.

It is no reflection on how clean you keep your house. However, if it is fleas, you will need to wash all wooden floors carefully and vacuum carpets etc. The chemist can help you with what to use, and as you don't have pets, you don't have to worry about whether they will be affected by the flea powder or whatever you use.

Jalima1108 Sun 23-Jul-17 10:52:41

shock
However, they appeared after I sat outside on balmy evenings which is when they usually get me.
Looking at the link, they are more likely to be midge bites.