Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Are you doing anything new to keep fit this year?

(43 Posts)
LyndaW Fri 12-Jan-18 15:44:05

Not only have I got a fitbit but I've offered to take my neighbour's dog for a walk every other day ticking off the box of being helpful as well as the one for exercise. So far so good! Some days I don't quite make 10k steps but I'm not far off.

MissAdventure Fri 12-Jan-18 15:45:26

In short, no. blush

lemongrove Fri 12-Jan-18 15:46:31

Sadly not so far this year (plan to do more though) although I seem to be lifting my purse out of my bag a lot this last week! Bargains call.

tanith Fri 12-Jan-18 15:52:47

I've already resumed my gym visits 2/3 times a week and intend on swimming again , my excuse at the moment is the cccccold grin

NannyJan53 Fri 12-Jan-18 16:17:19

I go to the gym 3 times a week! Try to walk wherever possible rather than nipping to town in the car, its only a 15 minute walk.

M0nica Fri 12-Jan-18 16:59:38

No. Once I have got rid of the dreaded lurgy it will be back to the usual walking, Tai Chi and Pilates. I am really missing them.

mollie Fri 12-Jan-18 18:38:50

That question assumes I was fit in the first place. Sadly, that isn’t the case so the answer is no. And apart from getting up and moving about like normal I’m not making any more effort. My loss!

Tegan2 Fri 12-Jan-18 18:48:31

I am totally disgusted with myself at the moment. Have put on a stone and haven't been to the gym for months. Have started eating food at night whilst watching tv [something I've never done before]. So, it isn't a case of doing something new, but going back to what I used to do. I'm sure it all stem from when I switched from jeans to leggings and didn't have the alarm call of not being able to do my zip up...I LOVE going to the gym/sauna, so I'm not sure how it has all happened sad.

DanniRae Fri 12-Jan-18 19:07:41

In a word "No"!!

Jalima1108 Fri 12-Jan-18 19:48:42

I wish you had asked 'Are you planning anything new to keep fit this year?'

Then I could have answered Yes.

Jalima1108 Fri 12-Jan-18 19:49:03

yes, get fit rather than keep fit!

Smithy Fri 12-Jan-18 20:19:46

I made a resolution to go to my exercise class twice a week instead of one. Its now Jan 12th and I've been once - well its early days!

chelseababy Fri 12-Jan-18 20:57:33

Started pilates and been twice so far. It helps that I'm going with a friend. Also started c25k but only done it twice and now got that awful cold that's going around....

tidyskatemum Fri 12-Jan-18 21:17:25

I can't think of anything more boring than going to the gym. I'm keeping up walking and trying to keep doggies (who can't understand why I haven't got a dog with me) at bay. I used to do 6 miles every couple of days but in the current weather I find 2-3miles a day and the odd longer walk works fine.

grannyqueenie Fri 12-Jan-18 21:35:46

Trying to carry on with what I began last year i.e. walking more and eating less! Try to do over 10,000 steps outdoors several times a week, but I know I could, and should do, more really! But I’m at least 11 lbs lighter than I was this time last year so it’s not all bad!

waldorfgrosi Fri 12-Jan-18 21:40:07

I came across the NHS app 'active 10s' which can be downloaded free from playstore. It encourages people who are not fit to do 10 minutes of brisk walking. It's really easy to pop your smartphone in your pocket and after the walk check if you have actually achieved the goal. Highly recommend it!
Would love to hear if anyone else is using it.

OldMeg Fri 12-Jan-18 21:46:14

I’ve got a new dog today, so yes.

Tegan2 Fri 12-Jan-18 21:56:09

I love going to the gym; for one thing, now I'm retired I get to meet and chat to people there. We do that when walking the dog, too, but not as much.

Charleygirl Fri 12-Jan-18 21:59:04

OldMeg that dog is gorgeous- what is his/her name?

Day6 Fri 12-Jan-18 22:23:46

Such a cute doggie Old Meg!

I am another who finds gyms very boring and although I love swimming and have a nice leisure centre about 20 minutes away, the thought of getting undressed, wet, then having to shower and dry my hair afterwards seems such a faff, so I am guilty of not going.

I need to move more but even walking for the sake of walking doesn't appeal. I would have to drive myself to somewhere green and away from traffic too and doing that every day isn't going to happen. I guess I'll have to put on my trainers and tramp the pavements of suburbia. I do lots of bending and stretching and jogging on the spot while I wait for the kettle to boil and I also make a point of getting up and taking laundry upstairs or going to clean the loo - any movement for the few minutes advertisements are on the TV. I know it's not enough. sad

OldMeg Fri 12-Jan-18 22:25:43

Charley he’s a rescue, called Sam, just 6 months old.

MissAdventure Fri 12-Jan-18 22:26:44

I might download that app. I suppose I really should at least try.

Bathsheba Sat 13-Jan-18 09:08:07

Thanks waldorfgrosi - I've been looking for something to do to get my heart pumping, without going to the gym. I just downloaded this app and went for my first brisk walk! I ended up doing 22 minutes out of a total 28 minute walk, so am now flopped on the sofa recovering with a cuppa. Feels good though smile

Bathsheba Sat 13-Jan-18 09:10:41

The only reason I did twice as much as I was aiming for, is because I'd planned to walk 10 minutes briskly and then turn round and amble back. But it started raining and I wanted to get back so I carried on walking quickly!

Anniebach Sat 13-Jan-18 09:22:54

To increase my calorie intake to,put on two stone