Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Any ideas for a gift for newborn who will have everything?

(87 Posts)
Glosgran Sun 03-Feb-19 20:31:59

My friend's son and his wife are expecting a first baby in next couple of weeks. I would like to get them a gift to the value of approx £20 - £30. They haven't wanted to find out if it's a boy or girl. His sister has passed on all her baby equipment and her Mum and sisters have already been on a spending spree for the baby. Any ideas on what to get a baby who will have everything?

stella1949 Sun 03-Feb-19 21:02:00

www.johnlewis.com/sophie-la-girafe-teether-in-gift-box/p231050761

I'd get Sophie the Giraffe, my grandchildren went through several of them each, they are so cute and babies love them.

Soupy Sun 03-Feb-19 21:05:28

Books?

TwiceAsNice Sun 03-Feb-19 21:08:03

How about something personalised when you know the name? Soft small blanket for instance

paddyann Sun 03-Feb-19 21:29:26

My daughters MIL made a lovely wall tapestry for our GD and one for each of the SGC she got when SIL married my daughter .So if you're crafty you could do that they're lovely and the girls love them .

LullyDully Sun 03-Feb-19 21:47:50

A photo frame.?

NanaandGrampy Sun 03-Feb-19 21:49:10

One of my favourite gifts for my daughter was a bed time library basket. It had a little cuddly , a book , a bedtime sleep spray I think . Other people gave books too so that they had a lovely start to reading .

agnurse Sun 03-Feb-19 21:57:21

Definitely agree with the books! If you're at all crafty, you might make a personalized birth record. These can be cross stitched. You could ask what the theme of the nursery is, if they have one, find a unisex record to match, and just put in the details after the baby is born.

Nannarose Sun 03-Feb-19 22:19:44

A beautiful book of classic children's poetry.
My own current favourite is The cat & the fiddle illustrated by Jackie Morris, but there are a lot of lovely ones.
I always give a CD of lullabies.

Beau Sun 03-Feb-19 22:25:29

Ewan the Dream Sheep - £29.99 and worth his weight in gold ?

SpringyChicken Sun 03-Feb-19 22:44:40

Portmeirion make lovely gift sets in The Very Hungry Caterpillar design.

Urmstongran Sun 03-Feb-19 23:04:02

I’m with you Stella1949 ??

absent Mon 04-Feb-19 05:16:11

You could hit some antique shops or markets and look for an antique rattle (maybe a bit too expensive), a child's cup, baby spoon or some other baby item from the past.

PamelaJ1 Mon 04-Feb-19 06:22:25

Springychicken, I always give a portmeirion set. I’ve got a caterpillar and a peppa pig set in the cupboard at the moment.
I stock up at the factory shop when visiting relatives in Stoke.

JackyB Mon 04-Feb-19 06:23:57

My DS2 has just had a baby and as it's their 2nd and they live in a tiny flat, and DiL's family pass everything round, all they will be needing is nappies, so they will be getting a voucher.

Apart from money or vouchers, books would be the perfect present, and, as the child is not your own family (so you can't really open a savings account for them), a Boots voucher will be most appreciated.

If giving books, don't forget to write a dedication in the front. (Why don't people do that any more?)

Bellasnana Mon 04-Feb-19 06:46:49

A reasonably priced gift which I always buy for new babies is ‘Takealong Tunes’ by Baby Einstein. It plays classical music while flashing different coloured lights. DGD had one and it was a great distraction when she became fractious on car journeys, or having her nappy changed.

Anyway, just an idea. Hope you find something suitable.?

PECS Mon 04-Feb-19 07:19:11

I have sent books for out gt nieces and nephews with a token pair of soft shoes or a small cuddly toy. Usually a collection of traditional tales or nursery rhymes with beautiful illustrations.

glammanana Mon 04-Feb-19 07:28:09

Beatrice Potter porcelain gift sets always goes down well,my GGC both have them displayed in their nursery.

Humbertbear Mon 04-Feb-19 09:35:11

Why buy something suitable for a baby? I always give books - Alice in Wonderland is always well received as is Wind in the Willows. The baby will have the book forever. My mother has never bought her GGC toys. They each have a shelf full of copies of the classics - Shakespeare, Austen, Bronte, Tolstoy. They can’t read them yet but they know they are a precious gift from someone who won’t be around forever.

Izabella Mon 04-Feb-19 10:20:23

Premium bonds perhaps?

I bought old an fashioned porcelain set but it is merely displayed gathering dust and I am led to believe it is just something else to be found space for in a small house. hmm I love N&G's idea of a library basket and Ewan (the sheep) could sit in the top! Enjoy whatever you decide on.

David1968 Mon 04-Feb-19 10:31:22

How about "taggies"? They are wonderful for babies (who love them) and I've given several as gifts - all of which have been greatly appreciated. Widely available, e.g:
thecuddlecompany.co.uk/collections/taggiez
(Other taggies are available; lots online.)

Coconut Mon 04-Feb-19 10:57:47

A pretty basket with practical everyday useful bits, wipes, shampoo, nappies etc

Aepgirl Mon 04-Feb-19 11:00:52

A friend bought my grandson a lovely quilted mat so that he could have a kick on his back on the floor. He loved it and it was nice knowing that this was ‘his’ and was folded up and put away every day to keep it clean and fresh (except after the occasional accident!)

Blinko Mon 04-Feb-19 11:02:18

I was going to suggest putting some money in an account for the baby, but there are so many good ideas on here...

mabon1 Mon 04-Feb-19 11:02:25

Give love in shed loads