Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Clairvoyant Medium

(88 Posts)
Stoker48 Mon 22-Jul-19 17:43:20

Just interested if any of you ladies, in recent times, have visited one of the above and were happy with your reading?
I appreciate that clairvoyants and mediums “ tap into” different levels ie Mediums potentially could make contact with loved ones that are no longer with us and clairvoyant perhaps more about predictioning the future.
Thank you x

Stoker48 Mon 22-Jul-19 17:44:11

Predicting

Bordersgirl57 Mon 22-Jul-19 19:30:24

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

BlueBelle Mon 22-Jul-19 19:32:48

I think they are all Charlatans and make it all up so I wouldn’t spend a penny on seeing either
Sorry

crazyH Mon 22-Jul-19 19:34:19

Sorry, they are all charlatans, preying on the vulnerable.

Sara65 Mon 22-Jul-19 19:51:04

I can’t say for sure that I think they’re all frauds, but I do know that I’d never consult one

I know people who have tarot card readings, but it’s not for me

paddyann Mon 22-Jul-19 20:22:53

I have done in the past ,it was a girls night out type of thing .I was at a house near me when the clairvoyant told one of the women to go home as her children were in danger.She laughed and said her children were in bed asleep .They may well have been but the electric heater she had left on in their room had caught fire and the twins died .

he told a lot of people about things she couldn't know about ,including me many years later when she stopped me in the street to tell me that something belonging to my daughter which should be kept together had been seperated and should be put back together .My daughter died at 4 days old about 15 years before ....I had two little fluffy ducks on a ribbon that I had bought before she was born and the ribbon had snapped ,one duck was in the wardrobe and the other in the drawer by my bed.I went home and tied them back together .I cant explain how she would have known this ,as its not something anyone else knew ,even my husband .

lemongrove Mon 22-Jul-19 21:23:28

I don’t want to burst anyones bubble but don’t believe that mediums, clairvoyants have any powers at all, other than being very good at reading body language and making shrewd guesses.

BlueBelle Mon 22-Jul-19 21:25:22

You can always make a story or a reason around every prediction
My friend definitely wanted to hear from her sister the medium said she could see the someone with books (aren’t most people at times) my friends sister was a teacher so of course she was sure it was true and paid more money for more consultations
No I don’t believe any of them I m afraid

ginny Mon 22-Jul-19 22:09:18

I agree with most of the other posters. I believe they are very skilled in saying things that anyone can put into the context of their own situation.

Witzend Mon 22-Jul-19 22:26:26

I've never used one and probably never would, but I don't think they're all charlatans. Most, but not all.

I know two people who've been told very specific things that could not possibly have been lucky guesses.

One of them was not being paid, she was just an acquaintance who never did it for money. She just held an object that had belonged to the deceased - someone who'd lived far away, whom she'd never met and knew nothing about - and came out with some extraordinarily pertinent - not remotely general - things.

My relative who was told these thing had not been a diehard sceptic, but was certainly that way inclined, so she was left decidedly shaken.

CanadianGran Mon 22-Jul-19 22:35:30

I don't know... while I do think there are people that have extra senses or intuition I would be very wary of going to someone who makes a living at it. I do think they are good at reading people and telling them what they want to hear.

Having said that...A dear friend of mine had recently lost her brother to a sudden heart attack. A few months later she was still grieving and missing him terribly. She went with a friend on a lark to see someone (not sure if they were a medium or psychic) and this person told her a few things that had happened immediately after her brother passed away and that her brother's spirit was still with them. It gave her great comfort and did help to ease her grief.

I have never experience a reading, but I don't think I would go other than with an open mind and a chance for entertainment.

TwiceAsNice Mon 22-Jul-19 22:36:27

I think there are some that prey on the bereaved for money but there are a few that have a gift and say things that could not be guessed as they are very individual to that person

A girl I worked with lost her grandfather very suddenly he lived with her and her parents and sibling . The medium told get several unusual things about him and descriptions were exact not at all general and made complete sense to my colleague she came into work and told us completely amazed at the accuracy

Completely separately I had a tarot reading from someone I knew superficially and who did not know me well either but her predictions came true a few years later and the situation was not general at all very specific. I do think some people can do / know things we cannot logically explain

RosieLeah Tue 23-Jul-19 06:43:24

There are certainly some charlatans about, but also many genuine ones. My daughter had a reading and what was predicted actually happened. My son was well-settled in England, had two jobs, lots of friends and enjoyed supporting the local football team. When he was told he would meet an American girl and move to America, he scoffed. He is now married to an American girl and living in Georgia!

kittylester Tue 23-Jul-19 06:46:59

I wonder if any of the men have visited either?

Framilode Tue 23-Jul-19 07:15:51

A friend of mine is a medium and I think she is genuine. She doesn't do it commercially and she says it only happens occasionally. If it happens when she is with a friend she will ask them if they want to know.

She told me that her son (who died as a young adult) often stands by the side of her and chats, and that this brings her a lot of comfort.

I certainly don't think she is a charlatan. She told me it is not something that she looked for or even wanted, it is just something that is there in her life.

grandma60 Tue 23-Jul-19 07:20:46

Rosieleah That certainly echoes my experience. A clairvoyant asked me what my connection was with Scotland. I said none whatsoever. She asked the same thing a year later and got quite cross when I said none whatsoever. A couple of years later he married a Glasgow girl.and lives there with her and his 2
children. There is no way my son would ever go to a clairvoyant! He wasn't living in the area anyway. She also talked about other very personal things, some. about myself which I had never spoken to anyone about. So much so that I stopped going and decided to leave it alone.

harrigran Tue 23-Jul-19 08:43:47

They prey on the vulnerable, people are open to any suggestion however remote the connection.
I could give you a reading from a couple of pieces of information about you, it is called the internet and you will be surprised how much is available to view.

lemongrove Tue 23-Jul-19 08:56:01

Absolutely Harrigran
Certainly never trust anyone who claims to have powers and does it for a living.

Teetime Tue 23-Jul-19 09:01:27

I agree with much of the above but there are some things you just cant explain ' there are more things in heaven and earth' etc etc.

sodapop Tue 23-Jul-19 09:06:36

I had a similar experience to Paddyann someone who knew small details which were definitely not in the public domain. This was before the days of the internet. The man would not take money if what he said did not apply. I am normally sceptical but there are more things in heaven and earth etc.

WadesNan Tue 23-Jul-19 09:43:30

I had a conversation with someone who once made a very good living as a medium/clairvoyant. He freely admitted he had no gift and said anyone who claims to have powers is either a fraud or misguided.

He explained that they are very good at reading body language, what appears to be casual conversation before a reading is in fact a way of gleaning information, even the most innocuous thing can give them ideas of which direction to go. As he put it, there is a 50/50 chance of getting something right - if they get it wrong they say the vision is cloudy or unclear. He also said clients only remember the things that "come true" and forget about the things that didn't.

Justme67 Tue 23-Jul-19 09:54:42

For several years I lived next door to a lovely woman and her husband, both of whom would fit the description "strange". The woman believed in spiritualism and clairvoyant (she had her own, whom she visited regularly), and she was always trying to convince me that things she was told did come true, and often tried to convince me to take our son to her healer, because she was convinced he could be helped. I never took up her offer, because as I explained, it is necessary to BELIEVE before you can benefit, and I was at a loss as to how someone who is mentally handicapped (forgive the old use of the words, it applied in those days) could possibly believe in something so deep. I still believe that is so with these things, - one of my friends about the same time lost her little boy of 5, and tried with a clairvoyant or whatever to reach him. The clairvoyant told her that until her son was of an age when he could make decision for himself, she would be unable to contact him. That I thought was cruel. My next door neighbour denied this, but there you go. Personally I do not want to know what is going to happen, and if I need to speak to my husband, or my parents, I can do so in my mind which I find quite comforting. sorry, going on a bit there.
"

Sara65 Tue 23-Jul-19 10:00:46

I agree with Teetime, there are things you just can’t explain, and whilst I wouldn’t dismiss it, I certainly wouldn’t ever consult anyone

BlueBelle Tue 23-Jul-19 10:12:39

There are things you can’t explain but they are explainable I agree with wadesnan these people learn how to read body language and pick up on any little thing we have no idea we are giving away and really things like the fact that a son marries and lives in Scotland after someone told you years before there was a connection to Scotland is just is pure coincidence
I often text my daughter at exactly the time she texts me these are coincidences in life The first person I met on holiday overseas was a person from my home town again a coincidence I was once told something by someone who claimed they could ‘see things’ and yes it was true and wouldn’t have been on the internet but it also could have applied to many other people