Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Sleeping in the garden

(94 Posts)
tanith Tue 23-Jul-19 20:12:04

Has anyone done it? I really want to invite my GD 14 to sleepover and we could sleep outside in this heat but just thinking of the drawbacks?

So would you/have you?

Beechnut Tue 23-Jul-19 20:15:35

It might rain ☹️

jura2 Tue 23-Jul-19 20:16:27

depends on where you are, surely?

We have slept on the back balcony, looking at the stars, away from the many nighttime predators that roam around here...

Barmeyoldbat Tue 23-Jul-19 20:17:04

Toilets, safety

CanadianGran Tue 23-Jul-19 20:17:29

Do you have flying insects, or heavy dew? That would be a consideration.

Little ones may not feel themselves be bitten by mosquitoes (not even sure if you have them in UK).

MaizieD Tue 23-Jul-19 20:17:47

I haven't, but I would.

The only drawback I can think of is that you might get bitten by insects. And, if your GD is the 'sensitive' type she might not like the idea of creepie crawlies walking over her in the night.grin

Go for it...

tanith Tue 23-Jul-19 20:18:32

I’m in Ealing West London not sure how that’s relevant? Not tonight as it’s supposed to thunder but later in the week.

tanith Tue 23-Jul-19 20:21:12

I could lock the back door but have the key with me for a visit to the loo. I’d feel safe it’s pretty quiet here.
Any other concerns?

annep1 Tue 23-Jul-19 20:21:43

I camped until I was about 55 and loved it. I would be a bit nervous in the back garden but thats me- I'm one of those people who double check all the locks at night. It sounds like a fun adventure. Will it bother your back or have you an airbed. Getting up for the loo. They're the only things I can think of. It's lovely that you have fun with your gc.

chelseababy Tue 23-Jul-19 20:22:49

We used to do it as kids (1960s) in tents in the garden. Friends have bits who do it now. It's fun!

phoenix Tue 23-Jul-19 20:24:30

Oh for heavens sake go for it! Toilets Safety ?????

If it all goes wrong, you can go indoors without too much bother!

tanith Tue 23-Jul-19 20:25:19

I do have an old tent, and a double air bed but wanted to sleep seeing the stars , I’m also a double checker of locks ?

Callistemon Tue 23-Jul-19 20:33:58

I haven't, although we used to go camping, but the DC used to have sleepovers with their friends in the garden. We used to leave our bedroom window wide open so we could hear them if they needed us, but usually we used to have to call down and tell them to be quiet (still chatting and giggling at all hours!).

annep1 Tue 23-Jul-19 20:34:54

Oh Tanith watching the stars sounds lovely wrapped up in a warm sleeping bag ?. I have a friend who does this at the beach sometimes. He says the sky is very clear due to no street lighting.
Phoenix is right. You can always go inside.

Farmor15 Tue 23-Jul-19 20:37:37

I’ve slept out under the stars a good few times, when weather has been fine. Main problem is the dew, but if you throw an old rug over your sleeping bags, it should be fine. It’s lovely to fall asleep completely in the open.

phoenix Tue 23-Jul-19 20:39:24

We are lucky to live in a rural area, very few street lights. When we have students (adult, it's a furniture making school) coming from cities, I always try to remind them that if it is a cloudless night, go outside and look up.

They are usually amazed by the stars! Can't see that in a city!

jura2 Tue 23-Jul-19 20:39:55

tanith, location is of course relevant. How safe is your garden from outsiders, for instance. Whether mosquitoes and or foxes are a problem, etc, etc.

West Ealing, happy memories.

tanith Tue 23-Jul-19 20:57:15

jura2 my garden has 6ft fences and hedges the back gate is secure and padlocked not sure about mossies though.
Did you live in Ealing?

GrannyGravy13 Tue 23-Jul-19 21:02:52

All of our children have “camped” in our garden. When they reached 13/14 they camped on the beach and on the “downs”.

Children love adventure, go for it and make memories.

Marmight Tue 23-Jul-19 21:18:00

Go for it Tanith. My GSs camped out at the w/e and are covered in mozzie bites. Do you have a mozzy net? Mind you, it was in a friend's field, not a back garden! My children, and half the neighbourhood, often used to camp out. We had a high a walled garden and bolted the gates for safety. I always kept the back door open and often found a few bodies on the sofas in the morning grin
Have fun!

Tangerine Tue 23-Jul-19 21:21:41

I've done it as a child. It was great fun.

tanith Tue 23-Jul-19 21:22:49

I’ve asked her and she’s ‘thinking about it’ I might just do it by myself. Thanks everyone

jura2 Tue 23-Jul-19 21:28:22

tanith- no didn't live there - worked at Beecham's on the Great West Road, and always went shopping in Ealing. My boss lived in West Ealing and invited us often, and several colleagues too. Unfortunately I lived in Isleworth - above the launderette ahahaha. Then at the West Mid, Putney Hill, Roehampton and Queen Mary's ... before moving to Staffs then East Leics.

Bathsheba Tue 23-Jul-19 21:37:57

Couldn't stand the thought of waking up and seeing a slug crawling over me ?

Bathsheba Tue 23-Jul-19 21:38:48

Or even the thought of a slug crawling over me. Even if I didn't actually wake up and see it.