Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

What's the biggest you've ever seen?

(130 Posts)
H1954 Tue 10-Sep-19 10:41:30

Sitting enjoying my morning tea and I heard a strange rustling sound. Thinking it may be a creature in the garden border, which is almost directly under the window, I cautiously moved to take a look. Nothing in the garden but the sound was being made by THE BIGGEST SPIDER I've ever seen as it scurried up the blackout lining on the curtains! It was huge, had knobbly knees, goggly eyes and was wearing clogs! ?

Teetime Tue 10-Sep-19 10:54:54

DH calls them all Cedric and makes a pet of them!

midgey Tue 10-Sep-19 10:54:54

There’s a whopper that lives under our stairs!?

Pantglas1 Tue 10-Sep-19 11:22:14

Ours are called Fred, Teetime! Funnily enough we only have them in Wales, never seen one in our Spanish home.

WOODMOUSE49 Tue 10-Sep-19 11:42:51

H1954 shock shock grin

Priceless! Love it.

Sara65 Tue 10-Sep-19 11:46:44

Massive phobia for me, nervous wreck at this time of year. Just got my husband to do a search of the ladies loos at work, just in case!

Maybelle Tue 10-Sep-19 11:53:45

We have a big spider living in the garage. DH calls it Sidney.

I stroked it by accident one day !

Putting my hand on the light switch to turn the light on and it was sitting on the switch, wasn't tell you what I called it then . . .

Sara65 Tue 10-Sep-19 11:55:48

Maybelle

I’d have fainted!

Maggiemaybe Tue 10-Sep-19 12:03:07

Was I the only one lured in by the title? blush

annsixty Tue 10-Sep-19 12:25:31

No Maggiemaybe
For a few months we had one living in our downstairs loo.
It was enormous, we never saw it during the day but at night when the light was put on it would be sitting on the waste pipe and would dash through the space where the pipe went into the cavity wall.
Visitors ,along with family , would say, “ I’m just going to see the spider”.
We never did give it a name.

Sara65 Tue 10-Sep-19 12:28:24

You are all completely mad! How could you live in a house with those things lurking?

Oopsminty Tue 10-Sep-19 12:28:25

Ditto Maggiemaybe!

EllanVannin Tue 10-Sep-19 12:46:24

They do seem to be at their biggest at this time of the year----fattening up for their winter hibernation, somewhere. They don't scurry across the floor, they march !

I call them all Harry after the advert from years ago. Harry the spider's " coming out party ".

MissAdventure Tue 10-Sep-19 12:52:51

I absolutely hate spiders - petrified of them.

Years ago, working night shifts in a residential home, I had to go and fetch one of the residents to deal with a huge, grey, furry spider that was lurking in the kitchen sink.

Sara65 Tue 10-Sep-19 13:14:17

MissAdventure

I feel your fear!

SueDonim Tue 10-Sep-19 13:26:16

Oh dear lord, I wish I hadn't opened this thread. shockI'm currently sitting in a campervan in the middle of nowhere in Australia, which has, as I am sure you all know, the vilest, most poisonous, most loathsome creatures in the world, including those with an unnecessary eight legs!

And now, I've got to go outside in the dark to 'visit the facilities'. If I never post again on GN, farewell, dear friends!

Carillion01 Tue 10-Sep-19 13:27:57

I've got a bit better about them. When we lived in the Scottish Borders they were monsters. They always appeared if DH had gone to bed and I was still up watching TV. One night one that was huge strode across the carpet and I needed stilts to get out of the lounge to get to bed.

Since coming to Brittany (5 years ago today!) the spiders hold few fears. They're whispy, pathetic little things, it's the mice and stag beetles that are stalking me now ???

Callistemon Tue 10-Sep-19 13:31:45

SueDonim I'm 'out bush' too, not seen a big one yet but I have seen some huge ones previously.
I saw a cricket which was about 5" long today, luckily it was on the outside of the door!

Buffybee Tue 10-Sep-19 13:35:47

They're all trying to get into the house at this time of year, not that it bothers me, I just catch them, (pint glass with paper slid under method) and take them as far down the garden as possible.
They're soon back though!
I always call them Freddie, from when my children were small.
I had one a few years ago who I couldn't catch as he would lurk near the ceiling. Arriving home in the dark, I put on the light and he was sat just above the switch, cringing.
I said, "Oh, sorry Freddie", and walked past him, then had a word with myself about being a bit crazy, talking to a spider. grin

H1954 Tue 10-Sep-19 13:35:54

????? I'm loving this! And can just imagine what was crossing a few minds when they read the title! ?????

Sussexborn Tue 10-Sep-19 13:43:17

I thought I was rescuing spiders by taking them outside. OH now tells me that the colder weather will kill them.

We’ve had a monster one in the bath for several days. Bit of a nuisance having to use the shower instead.

The Practice Manager I worked with took her phobia to the extreme. She was terrified that the spiders had laid eggs in the supply cupboards and the baby spiders would run amok! She was supposed to check the stock levels but couldn’t bring herself to do so.

MadeInYorkshire Tue 10-Sep-19 13:45:24

I don't mind them, but couldn't touch one!

We have one called Hugh (meaning Huge!) Sounds just like yours H1964 I keep putting him out and he keeps coming back in to just sit in the sink all day? I live in an old cottage and seem to get loads of cobwebs, but very rarely do I actually see the spiders ... weird ....

Callistemon Tue 10-Sep-19 13:54:34

You know what Incy Wincy does - gets washed down the water spout but climbs up again!

Farmor15 Tue 10-Sep-19 14:05:14

You do know that if you find one in the bath and wash it down the drain, it will climb back up and look at you through the overflow next time you’re having a bath ??

Pudding123 Tue 10-Sep-19 14:26:42

OMG I am terrified of them,not frightened of wasps or any other creatures but the way they move makes me shriek,yesterday I was in the phone to my friend who is a lady gardener and whom I thought was above such nonsense let out a scream as there on the settee she had got up from 2 minutes earlier sat biggest brown spider .I think we need therapy !!