Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

I love my dressing gown!

(42 Posts)
grannyrebel7 Thu 23-Jan-20 08:54:21

Two years ago my DS bought me a lovely velour M & S dressing gown. I liken it to having a big hug when I put it on. I have always been what I call a "dressing gown sitter" in the mornings. I get up about 7ish and watch Good Morning Britain for about an hour before going to work. Can't decide about Piers Morgan btw. He's definitely Marmite! Anyway of late since having said dressing gown of an evening I have an overwhelming urge at about 8pm to get into my PJs & dressing gown. I never used to do this and DH doesn't do it either. I don't know why I'm like this. Is it an age thing or what? I'd be interested to know what everyone else thinks.smile

travelsafar Thu 23-Jan-20 08:58:01

I love mine too, also from M and S and bought as a xmas gift by my son. It is bright red with white dots and i love it. Two deep pockets for tissues and my phone. I do only wear first thing in the morning but it is cosy and warm.

Hetty58 Thu 23-Jan-20 09:04:11

I get a bit chilly about 7 pm and put on a dressing gown. Why not? The dog's had her second walk and I'm not going out again.

If friends or family pop in, they're used to it. It's a winter habit, though. I have three cosy gowns and my favourite has a hood.

TerriBull Thu 23-Jan-20 09:11:06

I love mine too, it was a Christmas present from one of my sons a while back. It's long navy blue velvety/velour on outside, pale blue satin/silk lining, with a hood it reminds me a bit of those worn by boxers. It's very much my winter one, in summer I wear a couple of very lightweight short cotton ones.

annep1 Thu 23-Jan-20 09:12:13

Me too. M&S bought in winter sale half price. So comfy. I think it is a winter thing.

Missfoodlove Thu 23-Jan-20 09:14:21

I bought a beautiful black velvet lounge suit in Prague 3 years ago.
It was the last one in the shop, it’s beautiful, stylish and uber comfy.
It’s what I slip into in the evening,
I feel too slovenly in a dressing gown and would be embarrassed should anyone call.

craftyone Thu 23-Jan-20 09:19:53

I would love an os wool dressing gown. I`ll probably make one with a zip all the way up the front. I have hm fleece with a hood, which looks nice and is cuddly but not anything like a pure soft wool gown

Does anyone remember the polyester quilted bulky housecoats with buttons or a zip up the front? Now they were definitely practical

Calendargirl Thu 23-Jan-20 10:05:19

Oh yes craftyone. I had one like that when I was in hospital having my children. Felt very chuffed after giving birth as I was fortunate to still be reasonably trim and it buttoned up very easily. Some poor mums were huge still, and you honestly couldn’t tell if they had actually had the baby. As for fastening the dg up......

chaffinch Thu 23-Jan-20 10:13:05

We have our evening meal early. This time of year, when it’s dark early, I am washed up, showered, and sat in my cosy M&S dressing gown in time to watch the 6 o’clock news. If anyone comes, I REALLY DON’T CARE what they think!

shysal Thu 23-Jan-20 10:38:10

It is not a thing that I ever do, but I don't think it is an age thing. All my grandchildren do it, from the youngest to the oldest and so does my DD1.

tanith Thu 23-Jan-20 11:07:41

I have a lovely dark purple with multi coloured spots dressing gown and matching pjs I got from Secret Santa for Christmas this year super soft and cosy. I usually get into pjs and dressing gown at 9 ish also only in the Winter I rarely get callers late evening but I could care less anyway.

glammanana Thu 23-Jan-20 12:07:56

Gone are the days when I only wore a dressing gown in the morning,now as soon as I had my evening meal (sometimes before) I get changed and put on one of my many dressing gowns I have about 6 in total,3 are winter weight and 3 are nice cotton for summer wear,I love nice PJs and all callers are aware that I change early and to take me as they find me,they are afterall coming to visit me not look at what I'm wearing .

sodapop Thu 23-Jan-20 12:14:38

Only wear my dressing gown if I'm ill, I quite often have to go outside with one of the dogs so wouldn't want to scare anyone.
I like the sound of your lounge suit Missfoodlove

rosenoir Thu 23-Jan-20 12:17:12

Mine too is a velour M&S, I put mine on at 9pm. I wouldnt if I was having visitors though.

I do not actually know anyone that does not put on something comfy rather than stylish in the evening at home.

I find it a bit odd when ladies are wearing full makeup,smart clothes and hair done when indoors alone.

jo1book Thu 23-Jan-20 12:20:02

Can recommend this wonderful fleece kaftan, Looks better than a dressing gown. I have difficulty in taking mine off and could cheerfully spend the day in it. Washes and dries like a dream.

www.kaftankrazy.com/long-kaftans-ladies-full-length-kaftan,/fleece-kaftan-warm-winter-kaftans

ginny Thu 23-Jan-20 12:25:00

I have a soft bright red dressing gown bought from M & S about 3 years ago. In the winter I often change into pjs and dressing gown after dinner if I am not going out. So cosy. If anyone turns up unexpectedly , no problem as long as they don’t expect me to change.

Witzend Thu 23-Jan-20 12:28:00

I love mine, too - lovely cosy velour from M&S a few years ago, after they finally started making them long enough - I really hate those draughty mid-calf things - and I’m not all that tall at 5 foot 7.
More than once I’d previously asked M&S why they didn’t make longer versions - of course the answer was Health and Safety.

I bought it after buying an identical one as a Christmas present for a friend of the same height - she absolutely loved it, so after a while I wondered why on earth I hadn’t treated myself to one, too.

kittylester Thu 23-Jan-20 13:04:03

Dh bought me a green and white one from Joules about 5 years ago. Last year he bought me a really lovely Rosie Whatsername one from M and S. It's far to posh to lounge around in but my Joules one comes out about 9pm every night. It has a hood which pleases me no end - though I would never wear it!! What's that all about? confused

lavenderzen Thu 23-Jan-20 13:17:33

I love my dressing gown and have had it for years, very much a Bet Lynch type design! Mine goes on with pjs at around 5 p.m. if I am home, can't wait to put it on.

grannypiper Thu 23-Jan-20 13:43:40

I always get dressed befor 9am, do what needs doing housework wise, cook our main meal and eat by 2pm, if i have nowhere i need to go i do the washing up then put my P.Js and dressing gown. Bliss

EllanVannin Thu 23-Jan-20 14:28:18

Oh dear I can't get my nightclothes off quick enough in the morning which means that I don't put PJ's on until 10.30/11pm when I go to bed.

Comfy and warm as they are I always think that there'd be plenty of time to sit around like that if you were very ill. I like to remain fully dressed and not feel old and ill before my time. It's a psychological thing I think.

quizqueen Thu 23-Jan-20 14:33:44

When I was having house renovations over a winter season, I practically lived in my dressing gown worn over my day clothes, as the builders had the doors open all day so it would have been a waste of money having the heating on!

jo1book Thu 23-Jan-20 15:18:38

My postman has never seen me with clothes on. I met him out once and he yelled across the road "my God, she's dressed".All good clean fun and we both had a laugh.

timetogo2016 Thu 23-Jan-20 15:25:21

Your answerable to no one so be comfortable Grannyrebel7.

grannyrebel7 Thu 23-Jan-20 15:27:23

Not just me then! smile