Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Night time trips to the loo!

(92 Posts)
Stoker48 Sat 25-Jan-20 16:05:56

It’s only in the last year or so that I find myself having to go to the toilet in the night.... quite often twice in the night.
I’m not diabetic. Aging bladder maybe.
Just curious how often you go and is it more frequently as you’ve aged.

AGAA4 Sat 25-Jan-20 16:13:10

I think many of us have to go to the toilet during the night. I drink plenty in the daytime but have no liquid after 6pm. I have found this helps. I still have to get up after 5 or 6 hours but not as much as before

FlexibleFriend Sat 25-Jan-20 16:51:04

I drink a lot of fluids during the day and take a bottle of water to bed with me. My mouth gets very dry in the night so I have a couple of mouthfuls of water in the night. I usually get up in the early hours for a wee around 4-5 am and again at 8 am. I think that's normal and in line with what I drink.

FlexibleFriend Sat 25-Jan-20 16:52:05

I think mine has remained consistent with age.

tanith Sat 25-Jan-20 16:56:48

I used to have to get up in the night but I found double voiding helped. Just wait 20 seconds or so after going to the bathroom and then try again, I’m always surprised how much I go the second time. It’s worked for me I now go most nights till I wake up at 6 ish.

boheminan Sat 25-Jan-20 16:57:29

Usually up twice a night, once around 3 then at 6.00am, no matter how much or little fluid before bed. What with partner having prostate cancer and weeing for England all night, we're thinking of bedding up in the loogrin

MiniMoon Sat 25-Jan-20 16:57:59

Three times last night! I took my granddaughter to kayaking in the local pool, and was thirsty when I got home, so I had a large glass of water just before I went to bed. In future I must remember to take a drink with me as it's so hot watching from the balcony!

Hetty58 Sat 25-Jan-20 17:00:08

My mother had to get up more often when she restricted fluids after lunch. Sometimes, the more concentrated the urine, the more it irritates the bladder.

See what works best for you. Eventually, in her eighties, she reluctantly agreed to have a commode chair in her bedroom!

Ramblingrose22 Sat 25-Jan-20 17:03:38

I suffer with this because even if wake up for another reason it triggers the idea the "need"to go to the loo.

I should probably try bladder training and avoid diuretics like tea.

If anyone has any more tips about how to avoid this problem please add your posts to this thread.

LullyDully Sat 25-Jan-20 17:03:49

Twice a night would be good. Sometimes I go 4 times.

seacliff Sat 25-Jan-20 17:04:21

I need to go between 1 and 3 times in the night. It's very annoying. I lay there sometimes, trying to convince myself I'm fine and can drift back to sleep. But I just wriggle and fidget, I may as well just get up straight away. Must be yet another joy of being older.

Sara65 Sat 25-Jan-20 17:16:02

I usually go once or twice, but I’m never sure if I wake up because I need a wee, or wake up, and decide as I’m awake I’ll go for a wee!

Hetty58 Sat 25-Jan-20 17:16:58

My mother had great trouble getting back to sleep, having got up, put on slippers and dressing gown, trudged down the corridor to the loo etc. The commode helped as she didn't have to be so wide awake - just pop out of bed, use it and pop back in!

Pantglas2 Sat 25-Jan-20 17:20:37

I can do 11-6 if my last cup of tea tea is around 7.30-8pm but if it’s alcohol then I’ll up and down all night! Like you seacliff, once the thought is in my head, I might as well go straight away as I’m unlikely to drop off again!

BBbevan Sat 25-Jan-20 17:20:52

I go once or twice, and always wake at 6 to go. Sometimes I can go straight back to sleep . Sometimes not. Have no idea what that depends on. Old age I presume

V3ra Sat 25-Jan-20 18:06:20

My Dad said one night Mum shook him awake and told him to go to the loo. He'd been fast asleep and didn't need to go, but she said as she was going he might as well go too ?

mokryna Sat 25-Jan-20 18:55:19

A friend, who had serious breathing problems got them solved, the knock on effect was she did not have to get up for the loo several times during the night. She sleeps so deeply now whereas before it was very shallow so the body didn’t shut down’.

Auntieflo Sat 25-Jan-20 18:55:49

I have found that since having a prolapse repair, I rarely need to get up in the night now. Bliss.

This may be relevant to those who don't drink after a certain time at night, that your urine may become more concentrated, leading to the need to go for a wee.

sodapop Sat 25-Jan-20 19:12:10

I wake several times as well but do need to go usually.
Love that story V3ra made me laugh smile

mumofmadboys Sat 25-Jan-20 19:16:34

I have just stayed at an HF hotel. The ensuite had a very low level blue light that was triggered by movement. Consequently going to the loo made this dim blue light come on and it woke me up less fully than the main light. It was brilliant. I want one!!

Liz46 Sat 25-Jan-20 19:22:48

We have just had a holiday in India travelling there the day after the election. No more politics for weeks we hoped.

If we got up to go to the loo in the night and put the bathroom light on, the tv came on and it was BBC world news. The first time it came on we got Boris straight away! We never did figure out how to solve the problem.

Willow500 Sat 25-Jan-20 21:00:43

Always get up at least once - last night it was 3 times. Sometimes my cat wakes up to use her tray at the same time grin I don't put the light on as I have a loo light on the side of the toilet which is triggered by movement - its not enough to wake me up.

quizqueen Sat 25-Jan-20 21:05:13

I get up regularly during the night but, funnily, can hold it most of the daytime without needing the loo!

Franbern Mon 27-Jan-20 09:16:06

Like most older people, my bladder control is far less than when I was young. It now amazes me how long my teenage g.children can go between the need to 'wee' when we are out. And, this occurs during the night also.
Yes, I am up three or four times most nights - must say, having an en-suite becomes far more of an imperative with ageing.
However, I really would warn people NOT to restrict their fluid intake to try to prevent these night time trips.
The bladder can be damaged if there is not enough fluid and that will often lead to nasty, painful Urinary Tract Infection (UTI's).
t really is important to drink a good amount of fluid (preferably water) throughout the time you are up - and even remember to have a drink at the same time as a loo visit at night.
It will not help much to restrict fluid intake in the evening with regard to needing to 'go' during the night - but could have a big impact on the more concentrated urine leading to one of these horrible infections,.

newnanny Mon 27-Jan-20 09:19:44

I go 2 or 3 times every night which is why I don't sleep well.