Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

How are you staying in touch with your grandchildren during self-isolation?

(19 Posts)
LaraGransnet (GNHQ) Fri 20-Mar-20 10:01:20

For those of you who would usually see your grandchildren regularly, but at the moment are self-isolating/social distancing, how are you managing? Have you set up more regular video calls? In other conversations some have said they are sending poems or postcards. Any other great ideas? We'd love to share your suggestions on a page to help others who are also missing their family. smile

silverlining48 Fri 20-Mar-20 10:24:35

I have sent an individual letter to my grandchildren with a packet of vegetable seeds to plant ( the ones they like) with some jokes and will do this as long this goes on. Everyone likes to get a letter.

Pikachu Fri 20-Mar-20 10:27:43

Alexa show.

Lucca Fri 20-Mar-20 10:29:11

Can anybody recommend a good kit for growing things that I could amazon to my grandchildren? doesnt have to be veg necessarily ?

tanith Fri 20-Mar-20 10:40:04

Family WhatsApp group as many of them are grown up working people.

Goodasgold12 Tue 31-Mar-20 10:20:29

I would love to keep in touch with my Grandson who is 12 yrs old but he is Autistic and won't join in on a telephone call or skype me with his Daddy? As I usually see him 2 or 3 times a week because his Mum has been in a care home for the past 6 years, I am finding it really difficult. His Mum and I speak every day about him, and his education, but her care home is on lock down indefinitely and no one can visit? My son doesn't drive and if I can't take them in the car they have to rely on public transport which is 4 journeys by train and bus and its a long way to visit just tonwave through the window? Mum must be missing him and my son terribly, as he won't speak to her either? But We both chat to my son every day to keep his spirits up. I wonder if any other GP here have Austistic GC and have the same problem?
I have sent disinfected books to him when my daughter drops off my shopping and her brother's, but we all worry about the situation?

cornergran Tue 31-Mar-20 10:28:28

FaceTime with the little one, usually we see a lot of the ceiling grin. Recently posted him some carrot seeds in a rainbow card, hope to coordinate planting. We’re sourcing little things that can arrive regularly, a book for Easter is the first in the hope of a quiet time. Anything to take some pressure off Mum who is at home with a mini tornado and exhausted already.

Nonnie Tue 31-Mar-20 10:37:17

Not sure I should be posting on this as mine live a long way away so didn't see them often but planned visits and a holiday look impossible now. We use WattsApp a lot, I hear from my family several times a day, often with silly things to make us laugh. Video calls and photos all the time, today a voice recording of one singing to us "I love you well, I love you well etc." wonderful to hear him and feel him smiling. Also good to know they are having fun and their parents are enjoying the homeschooling although DS says his 5 year old is teaching him!

Greyduster Tue 31-Mar-20 10:39:52

We Face Time and text our thirteen year old regularly, send him jokes and poems. I am called upon to help with homework - mostly while I am busy doing something else and of course it’s always urgent and cannot wait. Do I make him wait? Of course I don’t! I am currently the acknowledged expert on the Middle Ages as I was deemed old enough to have been around at the time!?. Nothing beats actual physical hands-on grannying though☹️.

Hetty58 Tue 31-Mar-20 10:39:58

Facetiming about once a week - as I really don't want them to be bored and only saying hello out of duty!

Esspee Tue 31-Mar-20 10:47:58

My grandchildren have been given ipads with educational games but the eldest has worked out how to contact grandma so I am being bombarded with emojis at the moment. I hope to start a story time half hour to give their mum a break.

Chewbacca Tue 31-Mar-20 10:48:18

My GC live just a 5 minute walk from me and so I've been able to see and speak to them, from my window, as they go past on their daily walk or bike ride. Another poster, not sure who it was, recently posted a photograph of mixed objects on a table and you had to find all the items beginning with a certain letter. I've pinched that idea and have sent a daily photograph for GC to find the hidden objects. my kitchen table is a constant tip, but they've really liked that idea and keep asking for more.

bumblebee34 Tue 31-Mar-20 11:02:25

Mostly FaceTime or WhatsApp videos between family and older grandchildren. The 2 year old I have started video recording then sending on videos of me reading his favourite set of farm stories that he has at mine. My daughter says he loves them and she can put them on whenever he asks for them and at bedtime. Obviously also see him ‘live’ on FaceTime etc too, often while zooming in and out of the room.........he finds it impossible to walk anywhere, even indoors!

Canalboatgranma Tue 31-Mar-20 11:12:41

We are using Zoom, which means you can have 3 different families chatting at the same time. You get a 40 minute meeting for free.

Jenteulon Tue 31-Mar-20 11:36:58

Please can anyone suggest interactive games that can be played online with children?

Chewbacca Tue 31-Mar-20 13:00:48

Jenteulon how about the Hidden Objects games online? There are loads here

www.arkadium.com/gb/free-online-games/hidden-object/

Iam64 Tue 31-Mar-20 13:59:18

FaceTime is great, we're also joining House Party so more of us can 'meet up'

One of our dog walks goes past the home of two of the little one's, so we have waved through the window. Not sad as I feared, it's been great fun, with the two and four year olds leaping about doing virtual hugs and blowing kisses.

I gave the two four year olds some seeds and have been shown the results via FaceTime. We are so lucky to have modern technology

M0nica Tue 31-Mar-20 17:09:52

Telephone, email, Zoom, I have a joint project with each child tailored to there specific interests, where we both contribute. With DGD I am sewing face masks and with DGS I am designing islands and galaxies (dont ask).

Bridie22 Tue 31-Mar-20 18:19:24

Had my first video call today, wonderful technology.