Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Isolation advantages

(12 Posts)
Timsmum Sun 29-Mar-20 14:52:47

Does anyone else find this isolation an advantage.With being forced to stay home ,I have started looking around for things to do and am thoroughly enjoying having the time and inclination to get my home in order. Built in wardrobes completely emptied.cleaned and clothes sorted ,throwing away all that were kept incase I ever became skinny again.drawers the same..The whole place is slowly getting it's best spring clean in years. Taking it very slowly though,have to make it last 12 weeks..

TrendyNannie6 Sun 29-Mar-20 15:03:16

I’m doing the same slowly but for me although trying to keep positive as I’m a half full type of person, I’m yearning to go for a walk as I know evert centimetre of my garden now after being in isolation for quite a while, but will not be succumbing to a walk. But to be honest I’m not thoroughly enjoying it, just very grateful I’m still here and enjoying keeping in touch with grandchildren AC and friends

M0nica Sun 29-Mar-20 15:36:14

I'm another. The week between announcement and shutdown I went round the house making a list of things that could be done and we stocked up with DIY materials, curtain fabrics and garden supplies.

In fact many of my usual activities are going on as usual- only online rather than out of the house. It even includes my Tai Chi class, which will be online at the usual time tomorrow

Katek Sun 29-Mar-20 15:47:55

I’m almost finding a sense of liberation in it. There are no expectations of me and I can do pretty much what I want-apart from the obvious! The family are all speaking more to one another and using FaceTime/Messenger/Skype so we can see one another. We had mega 6 way conversation earlier this week.

Katek Sun 29-Mar-20 15:48:28

Oh and my exercise class is also online.

Boz Sun 29-Mar-20 15:56:28

Really missing swimming. Aldi have a blow-up jacuzzi for the garden at £349 but OH has told me not to be so ridiculous.
Playing with fire in my chiminea and thinking about hiring a tricycle (maybe not the last as they can tip over which is not good for a pensioner).

Callistemon Sun 29-Mar-20 16:09:39

I did have a lovely long bath in the middle of the day today, something I've never done before.

vampirequeen Sun 29-Mar-20 18:05:14

I have to admit I've got a lot of little jobs and reorganising done. Now I'm laid up but the flat is tidy planning what else I'll sort when I recover.

rockgran Sun 29-Mar-20 19:06:26

I do enjoy knowing that we will not have any unexpected visitors so it doesn't matter if the house is not very tidy. As a couple we are enjoying our hobbies separately and coming together for a quiz and some gardening and meals. Not too bad so far. Time will tell!

ValerieF Sun 29-Mar-20 19:08:25

Me too Timsmum. Usually on the go 24/7 but although am still having to go to work some days the rest are my own! Not having to go anywhere! Have sorted out lots of paperwork that dearly needed it, have cleared out wardrobes, cleaned the house from top to bottom, even ironed things that don't even need ironing lol.

Also been able to catch up on programmes, watched films I never had time to see.

I do feel we will come out of this feeling rejuvinated. I am finding time to catch up with people (on texts, email etc) I haven't had time to contact for ages. Think we are lucky to have that technology.

Obviously non of us know just how long we have to isolate but going by China, who now seem to have reverted to some kind of normality (according to a text I received) Be patient guys. If everyone is sensible now, it will be short lived. 8 weeks or so will seem no time at all in the grand scale of things.

Just stay safe, do as advised. Don't panic. Find a new interest. If you have always wanted to learn Spanish now is the time! Find joy in everyday things. I can't believe how much I am noticing my world around me more now. Even if you don't have a garden, on your daily trips out, look at gardens and the new flowers coming up, look for birds in the sky. Breathe the air! I also know more of my neighbours now than I have ever done! Just because of what's app groups set up. Bringing out the best in people in many areas. Forget the massive rush on food supplies. People panicked but think it has calmed down now and shops have got it sussed.

Esther1 Sun 29-Mar-20 22:20:42

It’s nice to look for positives in this isolation, and in no way making light of the dreadful situation and plight of others. The only useful thing I can really do is to stay home and stay safe. So looking for positives in isolation - I haven’t bothered with a scrap of make-up, I have tied my hair up and not worried about styling, I have been wearing comfortable old gardening clothes all day and pyjamas all evening, I deliberately only bought in healthy nutritious food so can’t binge on biscuits and chocolate so might even lose weight, I don’t feel guilty when I don’t get to the gym, I can take long breaks from household chores and not worry about running out of time and finally watch as much television as I want without thinking I should be elsewhere.

gillybob Sun 29-Mar-20 22:47:31

There are none.

I didn’t plan ahead and buy DIY supplies, plants for the garden or fabric. I didn’t stock up on food or loo rolls . I didn’t foresee that our customers would effectively ban us from site causing our small business to close down. I didn’t foresee that the same customers would withhold much needed funds meaning my DH and I and our employees would have no wages and no way to pay our bills.

I didn’t foresee that I would not be able to cuddle my dearest darling grandchildren and that my heart would be broken .

So I’m sorry OP there are no advantages whatsoever.