Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Where's the Home Secretary?

(53 Posts)
Riverwalk Wed 08-Apr-20 11:30:35

I haven't had sight nor sound of Priti Patel, is she self-isolating?

It's extraordinary that the home secretary has nothing to say on policing, lockdown, NHS staff etc.

suziewoozie Wed 08-Apr-20 11:35:34

Locked in a cupboard with Rees-Mogg and Leadsom. Cummings has the only key but forgot to give it to someone else before he ran away several days ago.

Callistemon Wed 08-Apr-20 11:38:47

grin
Is anyone taking them food boxes?

Callistemon Wed 08-Apr-20 11:42:22

Actually, I do hope they are all all right.

Oopsadaisy3 Wed 08-Apr-20 11:42:55

Maybe she doesn’t fully support the Governments stance, reports said that she wanted to close our borders, but the Medical advice was ‘Nope’...... so if any reporters questioned her it could prove a bit embarrassing for the Medical experts either side of her.

maddyone Wed 08-Apr-20 11:48:39

I think our borders should have been closed several weeks ago.

suziewoozie Wed 08-Apr-20 11:48:54

Call we’d be told if they were ill. They are both being kept off the media because JRM would say that it was only ‘common sense’ to go to one’s country home and PP because she can never wipe the smirk off her face.

Blinko Wed 08-Apr-20 11:49:11

Looks like they might be afraid to put some people up at the podium...

Riverwalk Wed 08-Apr-20 11:55:57

Various men including Housing Secretary Robert Jenrick, and Business Secretary Alok Sharma have hosted the daily press conferences; I'd honestly never heard of either of them.

Sharma I can understand, just, but Housing Secretary?

The Home Office is one of the four Great Offices of State.

suziewoozie Wed 08-Apr-20 12:10:44

Yes it is River that’s why I’m somewhat perplexed that it’s occupied by one of the great ministerial failures in the parliamentary Conservative party.

quizqueen Wed 08-Apr-20 12:13:52

JRM's real home is his country home!

suziewoozie Wed 08-Apr-20 12:23:03

When this all kicked off qq JRM was in his London home doing his Government job. He should have stayed there once travel to second homes was not allowed. But tbf we have no idea where he is do we? He should be in London working however. But instead .....

Riverwalk Wed 08-Apr-20 12:23:06

JRM's children go to school in London - where he declares his primary residence I've no idea.

He has a big pile in Westminster.

Anke Wed 08-Apr-20 12:30:49

Yes I was wondering the same thing . She has disappeared since she had that spat with her senior civil servant

You would have thought she would be on the tv all the time during this crisis

Whitewavemark2 Wed 08-Apr-20 12:33:52

TBH I suspect she is for the chop and as a consequence been sidelined until there is time to sort it out.

trisher Wed 08-Apr-20 12:36:57

She's looking for someone else to bully. That's the trouble with people working from home there's no one to pick on!!!

lemongrove Wed 08-Apr-20 12:39:08

Am not in the least concerned who fronts the daily briefing, and think Robert Jenrick does an excellent job of it, as does Alok Sharma and Dominic Raab, flanked of course by the medical experts.

suziewoozie Wed 08-Apr-20 12:43:05

It’s not about who fronts them lemon but about who’s been locked away and is not fronting them. We are talking about the holder of one of the four great offices of state who can’t be allowed out (along with the Leader of the House of Commons who was equally silent during the GE campaign).

lemongrove Wed 08-Apr-20 12:47:59

Locked away? ??

GrannyGravy13 Wed 08-Apr-20 12:49:33

Perhaps they are actually doing the job we pay them for?

Ellianne Wed 08-Apr-20 12:58:08

I wondered where she was too, especially last night when Teresa May was wheeled out to explain some of the internal workings.

Chestnut Wed 08-Apr-20 13:07:38

Just because they are not on TV doesn't mean they aren't working away behind the scenes. We don't get told everything. Any excuse to have a dig at the Tories and make nasty comments about the cabinet ? and if you can't find anything then just make something up!

suziewoozie Wed 08-Apr-20 13:08:46

Oh come on GG part of the job we pay the HS for is to say nothing when the country has Emergency Legislation in place and we’re in an unprecedented crisis ? You didn’t really think you’d get away with that post did you ?

suziewoozie Wed 08-Apr-20 13:09:20

Oooohhhhh who’s had a nerve touched?

Callistemon Wed 08-Apr-20 13:11:13

If Priti Patel wanted to close our borders before it was advised to do so, she may well be proved right in the end, suziewoozie.

People are saying that China did the right thing with an earlier lockdown.