Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Do you post your photos online? If so, do you edit them to look younger?

(18 Posts)
CathTheWise Thu 09-Apr-20 07:03:54

I have Instagram to follow some people who are interesting for me and sometimes I post pics of myself if I find them pretty. I don't edit them in any way possible even though I know how, but recently my colleague who follows me (my account is private) DMed me and asked whether I edit my photos to look younger. She was surprised that I don't and she told me that "this is a must at our age!" (we both are in our 50s). Honestly, I felt confused about that: I know that if she is fine with editing her looks and I'm fine with not doing so, this is okay, but how many people are out there thinking that making yourself look younger in pictures is really a "must" after you turn 50?

tanith Thu 09-Apr-20 07:41:18

Only to family and as they know exactly how I look what would be the point?
If it’s done to portray a more attractive look it’s dishonest and ridiculous but that’s my opinion.

SueH49 Thu 09-Apr-20 07:49:33

Why? You are what you are and editing photos to look younger or better in any way does not make you younger or better. I don't see the point. It just fosters the expectation on women (and probably men as well) that a certain standard of attractivness is necessary.

Marydoll Thu 09-Apr-20 07:54:26

I have my photo taken, as little as possible and certainly wouldn't post online.
I'm not all photogenic.
When I was teaching, we had to have our photograph taken for a display at the main entrance.
I used to be very busy when the photographer came.?

PamelaJ1 Thu 09-Apr-20 08:15:17

I post photos online to my family and friends.
Why would I edit them for heavens sake? I’m me.
I will, however, admit to choosing either the ones in which I look my usual stunning self?

Urmstongran Thu 09-Apr-20 08:25:23

This seems more like a humble brag from the OP. Sorry.

BlueBelle Thu 09-Apr-20 08:30:48

What a load of do doos
Never it’s hideous and I m afraid I m in total agreement with urmstongrsn it’s a veiled brag well not that veiled actually ?

SirChenjin Thu 09-Apr-20 08:43:23

In what way is it a brag? confused Cath has been open about putting up the good photos of herself (don’t we all?) and her friend was surprised that she doesn’t use editing because apparently that’s what everyone in their fifties do (not this fifty something!). A good photo - especially if it’s ever so slightly over exposed - can take a few years off you, so I took it that’s why her friend was surprised. Perhaps she just assumed that the good photo was an average one that had been edited?

Chewbacca Thu 09-Apr-20 08:51:29

I detest having my photo taken and avoid it at all cost. So there are none anywhere in the netherworld to my knowledge.

Missfoodlove Thu 09-Apr-20 09:11:36

My son came home a couple of years ago for a few days, he showed me a photo of a neighbours daughter who had tried to “ friend” him on FB.
He couldn’t figure out who she was, when I pointed her out he was staggered!
The profile photo was a million miles away from reality.

NotSpaghetti Thu 09-Apr-20 09:46:54

CathTheWise - I have two images of me online and neither are edited though like you I have editing software I use for other things (Photoshop). I did pick the “best of a bad bunch” though ?
I suspect that’s what you did.
Both are profile photos and work related. One is on LinkedIn.
Neither are professionally taken.

As I may well have to meet the people who have seen the photos I don’t see the point in pretending I’m younger than I am!

Hetty58 Thu 09-Apr-20 09:51:49

No - and (really?) why would anyone bother? How sad!

Oopsadaisy3 Thu 09-Apr-20 10:11:45

What is the name of the App or programme that enables you to look younger?

Asking for a friend........

Nata Thu 09-Apr-20 10:18:08

Cath I don't post pics of mine online neither do I edit them to make myself look prettier. I think your colleague has her own way, it is difficult for some women to accept their looks after some particular age. My daughter had fallen prey of this harsh critisism, too, her Facebook photos look way different from her in real life. That's sad to see but it is her decision to make.
Oopsadaisy3 you can try Photodiva, my daughter uses it to remove wrinkles from her face. Honestly, I think it is a little bit strange, she looks lovely in her thirties but she won't listen to me.

GagaJo Thu 09-Apr-20 10:49:06

I very occasionally put up flattering photographs of myself. Maybe once or twice a year maximum.

My social media is mostly full of family, pets and friends. Not me. I'm not interested in looking IN at myself. I want to look OUT at others. POSSIBLY it would be different if I looked good, but I like to kid tell myself it wouldn't.

M0nica Thu 09-Apr-20 15:12:00

I have just gone on FaceBook. My picture is a photograph of primroses. I hate being photographed, I have hated being photographed since childhood. The thought of putting a gurning picture of me online makes me shudder.

PamGeo Sat 11-Apr-20 11:18:23

I'm not photogenic, I hate my photo taken and have almost everything but photo's of me on fb. I have however picked the best of a bad bunch when I have posted a picture and I've no shame in admitting it.
I do however have a friend from many many years back who was always drop dead gorgeous and is still an attractive woman yet cannot and will not put any photo (numerous photos) without editing to death. She looks fake, plastic Barbie doll features and skin, without being very harsh I don't know how to beg her to stop. .... so I won't

FlyingHandbag Tue 21-Apr-20 11:15:36

When I take a photo, I don’t take one without makeup. Also, I spend hours editing it before I post it, I use 27 editing apps!