Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Whisky on line

(23 Posts)
kittylester Mon 01-Jun-20 20:53:38

Ages ago,vsomeone told ne of good on line whisky seller. Can someone please tell remind me? It might have been merlot or marmight!

kittylester Mon 01-Jun-20 20:55:50

What a shambles,

Me not ne, ignore tell!! My flipping phone!!

annsixty Mon 01-Jun-20 21:39:24

I can’t remember either kitty but The Whisky Exchange is ok.

paddyanne Mon 01-Jun-20 22:21:53

The whisky exchange is good but Amazon does a great range as well .I buy from both as my OH collects whisky and whiskey .Just bought two bottles from the Whisky Exchange for his birthday later this month.

merlotgran Mon 01-Jun-20 22:33:57

It wasn't me, kitty. The only whisky I've bought online recently was a bottle of Highland Park from Amazon for DSiL's birthday.

kittylester Tue 02-Jun-20 07:25:23

Thank you all!!

It must be Whisky Exchange, I think.

My husband 'collects' whisky too, paddy, and I usually get it from a fabulous shop in Ashby de la Zouch which is, currently, not open.

Marydoll Tue 02-Jun-20 07:35:25

Kitty, I have used this company before, as my DH also collects whiskey.

www.whiskyshop.com/

They have 10% off for new customers at the moment.

In fact you have given me an idea for DH's 70th in a few weeks. Thanks!

paddyanne Tue 02-Jun-20 10:35:34

Theres a great shop on the Royal Mile where I sometimes buy from,I dont know if they do online orders but you could google it and see,It has an amazing selection

Marydoll Tue 02-Jun-20 10:49:32

The Jar in Troon does online sales.
DH and I often go for a browse. The owner always offers DH a sample. Unfortunately he is usually driving! ?

paddyanne Tue 02-Jun-20 11:48:53

Theres a great Whisky shop in Callander when you're allowed a run out Marydoll run by lovely people and samples on offer for the non driver .They also have a great range of Gins

Callistemon Tue 02-Jun-20 12:46:08

I'm intrigued by this collects whisky phrase

Do you mean that they don't drink it? confused

Marydoll Tue 02-Jun-20 13:23:56

I have friend, who buys barrels of whisky as an investment, waits a few years, then sells.. He is probably a millionaire.

DH keeps some bottles as an investment, but finds it difficult not to try them! ?

Marydoll Tue 02-Jun-20 13:28:43

Oh Paddyane sound tempting.
I have many happy memories of Callandar,
the best one being , when I drove my new convertible there with the roof down.
Unfortunately, I couldn't work out how to get the roof back up! ?
I had earache, by the time I got back home.

Largolass Tue 02-Jun-20 13:33:30

The Wee Couper of Fife in Anstruther is an online whisky shop

Shelmiss Tue 02-Jun-20 13:40:54

My DH collects whisky, apart from buying on lots of trips to Islay to visit his barrels this is where I usually buy stuff from:

www.masterofmalt.com/

Greyduster Tue 02-Jun-20 14:39:46

The Wee Dram in Bakewell is very good. They do deliveries and their charges used to be quite reasonable. They have a good website.

Marydoll Tue 02-Jun-20 16:44:52

Shelmis, my future SIL took my husband to Islay on what was supposed to be a surprise tour of the distillieries, as DH is a great fan of Islay whiskies.
The real purpose was to ask my DH for our daughter's hand in marriage.
However, SIL couldn't pluck up the courage to ask, until they were back at Glasgow airport! grin

Shelmiss Tue 02-Jun-20 17:21:32

That’s lovely Marydoll! He must have been thinking of when to choose the right moment whilst going round the distilleries! At least he got there in the end albeit at the airport smile

Marydoll Tue 02-Jun-20 17:36:38

He was still faffing about waiting for a taxi home and still hadn't said anything. DH felt sorry for him, so eventually asked him if he had something to ask! grin

I was supposed to think they were just going for a day out. However, SIL asked DH to bring his passport and I became suspicious..
I went onto Glasgow airport departures to work out where they were going! wink. When I saw the early morning Islay flight, and realised what was happening. I couldn't contain myself all day, as DD didn't know.

paddyanne Tue 02-Jun-20 17:49:26

its called Spirit of Callender and has an online site ,I got some nice mock jacobean glasses there and my OH was inspired by the seats made from whisky barrels to make two for himself ..well for the garden

EllanVannin Tue 02-Jun-20 17:50:39

I've got an unopened bottle of Mackie and Gladstone's whisky liqueur which my pa-in-law had stored since the 50's but I know nothing about it nor why he'd kept it.
It was bottled in Birkenhead.

paddyanne Tue 02-Jun-20 17:54:43

Callistemon my OH keeps his "good" ones for sharing he's not a big Scotch drinker ,prefers irish and anything over 18 years old is considered a good one ,his friends love a night of music and whisky tasting ,something for himto look forward to .Currently there are about 70 bottles in his cabinets maybe 50 unopened ,some were gifts he'd like to keep a while before drinking, some he cant replace because they're no longer available

EllanVannin Tue 02-Jun-20 17:54:53

The best whisky I tasted was in the 70's called Abbot's Choice.

Before I stopped alcohol it was Famous Grouse.