Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Dress code for Zoom meetings

(52 Posts)
Jane10 Wed 08-Jul-20 10:17:47

I'm wondering what I should wear for a Zoom meeting. Obviously only my top half will be on show but that's pretty scruffy these days. Ironing has gone by the wayside as has my waistline. Maybe I should wear a jacket so I'll look like I was just on my way out (also would cover up unironed jumper). Alternatively, I could dig out a smart top and do my hair and put on (gasp!) make up if I could remember how to put it on!
Oh dear the pressures if modern living.

grannysue05 Wed 08-Jul-20 10:26:08

Jane if its a business meeting then do put on a bit of makeup/lipstick and a smart top or jacket. You have to look as though you have made an effort and it is reflected in your business.
If its just family or friends, then anything goes...it really does not matter.

J52 Wed 08-Jul-20 10:37:27

I try not to have a fussy neckline, wear make up and perfume!! Yes, I know.

Before the Zoom meeting I check my image and background using the selfie mode on my phone or IPad. It picks up things that might look odd, such as a vase of flowers, in the background that looks like it’s growing from your head.

glammanana Wed 08-Jul-20 10:38:10

Jane10 If its to do with business I would put on a bit of make-up you don't have to go over the top a light jacket or smart blouse will be fine,you can then keep your PJs and slippers hidden from view.

DiscoGran Wed 08-Jul-20 10:45:27

Jane10. Don't wear anything with a busy pattern, they can make a strobe effect. I just wear a blouse with a collar and definitely do your hair and make up!

FarNorth Wed 08-Jul-20 10:51:42

Look however you normally would for meeting those people.

kittylester Wed 08-Jul-20 10:58:21

I'm doing one in a minute. I am wearing a nice top and pendant and jogging bottoms. I've done my hair and make up. My cleaner was so surprised she asked if I was going out.grin

It depends what sort of meeting it is in my view. Mine is with people caring for people with Alzheimer's and I want to look bright and cheery. As confidentiality is important, I have to be in the lounge with the door shut.

Sit facing or sideways to (not in front od) a window.

Check your bookcase - very important currently! grin

And, I wear perfume too, j52.

GagaJo Wed 08-Jul-20 11:06:34

Plain white background is my preference. I wear something plain on m top half with either cheerful jewellery (easy to chuck on) or an arranged scarf. Plus make up and a slightly coloured but natural lip colour.

Callistemon Wed 08-Jul-20 11:15:00

Check your bookcase grin

DH had to give up on one meeting yesterday as the sound was so variable. Is that a problem or does something need sorting out on his fairly new laptop? He's asked me to look at it (help).
It was not on mute btw.

seacliff Wed 08-Jul-20 12:05:48

Before you start the zoom meeting you can go on Zoom and click the Touch Up My Appearance option. It is a very subtle way of making you look a bit more healthy and better.

eazybee Wed 08-Jul-20 12:26:31

I found myself standing in front of the television when a reporter was delivering from home, with my head tilted sideways trying to read the titles of her books.
More interesting than what she was saying.

seacliff Wed 08-Jul-20 12:28:44

We have Zoom meetings every week, and I have found the thing that looks best on me, is a goldish mustard simple unfussy sleeved top. The colour stands out well, and I have a book case behind me. (quite tidy these days )grin.

Get the laptop/phone so camera is at your eye level. You can go on zoom before hand and host a meeting on your own, with video. Then you can see what you look like. Adjust the light, your background, height of seat etc.

kittylester Wed 08-Jul-20 14:07:45

I also wear my slippers!

FarNorth Wed 08-Jul-20 14:59:58

If sound is rubbish, it can help to cut off the video and have sound only.
It could be that your internet (or others' internet) can't cope with doing both.

Callistemon Wed 08-Jul-20 15:07:51

FarNorth

If sound is rubbish, it can help to cut off the video and have sound only.
It could be that your internet (or others' internet) can't cope with doing both.

Thank you *FarNorth, a tip to remember.

DH did phone Technical Support and they have sorted it out for him although he's not sure what they did!

Jane10 Wed 08-Jul-20 15:23:28

I changed my top and brushed my hair (and teeth!). Think I got way with it. Forgot perfume though. blush

GagaJo Wed 08-Jul-20 23:51:42

I made the mistake of only being smart from the waist up for a department meeting. Great until grandson (in the middle of potty training so bare bottomed) video bombed me. Cue me jumping up to get his nether regions off camera, flashing my scruffy legginged bottom half.

PamelaJ1 Thu 09-Jul-20 06:28:47

J52, your point is a good one.
I find when I’m watching the interviews on the TV with people in their own homes I spend more brain power looking at their shelves than listening to what they say.

Marelli Thu 09-Jul-20 08:04:31

I wish I'd turned off the chimes on my old clock. ?
At noon, it noisily drowned our Zoom conversation.

kittylester Thu 09-Jul-20 08:09:53

We have a grandfather clock with Westminster chimes, marelli. It has not disrupted Zoom yet but it loves striking noon when I'm on the phone. grin

Liz46 Thu 09-Jul-20 08:20:44

I experimented while I was chatting to my daughters and my background is now outer space. I wasn't sure if it would stay but it did and when I was Zooming my friends they were quite impressed and all want to be in outer space!

Babs758 Thu 09-Jul-20 08:55:45

I have a light pink wall behind me (great for the complexion!) light makeup and a plain top. Loose cotton trousers which are comfortable to sit in most of the day for meetings. I think it does matter how one looks and I note some of my business colleagues wear plain tops with scarfs or chunky jewellery. What about the fake backgrounds! Not sure about those.

Daftbag1 Thu 09-Jul-20 08:57:57

Wear, and present in a zoom meeting, exactly what you would wear / present at a real life meeting!

Funnygran Thu 09-Jul-20 09:00:08

I’ve had a few Zoom meetings with friends and the sound can be variable. One lady treats the meetings as though we are all physically together and wanders off to refresh her drink or do something. We’re left gazing at her wall until she comes back!

Paperbackwriter Thu 09-Jul-20 09:05:54

Any plain-ish top and an arty necklace is my choice. But I don't have meetings in the business sense, just friend ones. Strangely, I always brush my teeth first and wear perfume. Lord knows why - but it makes me feel right!