Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Golden Wedding Gift

(57 Posts)
Glenfinnan Thu 09-Jul-20 16:23:02

I’m looking to pick a. Gransnetter’s brains here please. Looking for ideas for dear friends anniversary. He is suffering from a neurological condition so not all that mobile which rules out The Theatre etc.
I know other friends are buying a voucher for Restaurant meal out. Family are buying garden furniture. They seem to have everything for their home. I did think of Golden coloured rose trees? But would be grateful for all ideas!

SueDonim Thu 09-Jul-20 16:29:31

Have you browsed on NotontheHighStreet? They have lots of personalised gifts. We gave dh’s sister & brother-in-law a personalised candle holder for their anniversary and they were thrilled with it. smile

www.notonthehighstreet.com/gifts/shop-by-occasion/anniversary/by-year/50th-anniversary-gold

J52 Thu 09-Jul-20 16:30:38

Do they drink? You can get bottles of gin and champagne with sparkly gold bits suspended in them, maybe paired with crystal glasses.
There are several golden rose bushes on the market, David Austen and Peter Beale are reliable sources. A patio version in a golden planter might look attractive.

Nannarose Thu 09-Jul-20 16:57:33

Don't know how much garden room your friend has, but I love the old Malvina Reynolds song:
If you love me, if you really love me, plant a rose for me
But if you think you'll love me for a long, long time, plant an apple tree....

janeainsworth Thu 09-Jul-20 17:09:36

This is probably going to sound very sour, but it’s our Golden Wedding in two weeks time and I don’t want anyone to buy us anything. We have everything we want & need.
Any cards will be much appreciated though.
Months ago I was planning to give a party and our friends & family would have been asked to donate to Crisis instead of a gift.
But obviously that’s not going to happen. sad

phoenix Thu 09-Jul-20 17:19:49

I believe there is probably a rose for every occasion, so there is probably one actually called "Golden Wedding".

(At this rate there'll probably one called "Divorce" before too long!)

A few years ago we bought one called "Wedding Day" for a work colleague and presented it to her along with 2 bags of well rotted horse manure! grin

Callistemon Thu 09-Jul-20 17:24:38

We were given Golden Wedding rose which is planted now in the ground.
It flowered on our anniversary and is flowering again now. It's lovely. If there's room to plant it in the ground that is better as it doesn't need such frequent watering, otherwise a large, lovely pot already planted up.

No ornaments or nick nacks!

MawB Thu 09-Jul-20 17:28:22

janeainsworth

This is probably going to sound very sour, but it’s our Golden Wedding in two weeks time and I don’t want anyone to buy us anything. We have everything we want & need.
Any cards will be much appreciated though.
Months ago I was planning to give a party and our friends & family would have been asked to donate to Crisis instead of a gift.
But obviously that’s not going to happen. sad

Not sour Janeainsworth
It would be ours on the 25th and I wonder if anybody will even think of it as we were only granted 47 years together.
I am thinking of treating myself to a stonking big bouquet of yellow/gold flowers. ???

Whitewavemark2 Thu 09-Jul-20 17:39:40

Rosa Golden Celebrations is nice and can go in a good sized pot.

Coolgran65 Thu 09-Jul-20 17:45:38

I would give a plant in a beautiful pot/container. It could be an appropriate established rose, hopefully in bloom.
Or fill the pot with lots of lovely blooming Calla Lillies.

I have over the past few years used planted up containers as gifts for ladies and gents. And I love to receive them. They brighten up my front doorstep during all seasons.

Calendargirl Thu 09-Jul-20 17:53:46

Yes, treat yourself MawB

It’s still your Golden Wedding Day, although sadly not together.

A day to remember happy times and memories.

Patsy70 Thu 09-Jul-20 18:13:25

Just had a quick look at 'NotontheHighStreet' and really liked the Golden Anniversary family tree print. Also, I have a friend who is an artist and on special occasions we have commissioned her to paint a card illustrating the person's interests, places, names of family & pets etc. They are always well received. I had one for my 70th birthday, which is framed. The yellow rose is also a good idea, especially if it is scented.

MrsEggy Thu 09-Jul-20 18:19:30

My sister gave us a large bag of bulbs to plant, golden daffodils, crocus and narcissi. Our Anniversary was in September and they gave us months of pleasure the following spring.

Urmstongran Thu 09-Jul-20 18:36:03

I think that’s a great idea Maw. x

kittylester Thu 09-Jul-20 20:47:00

Our children fave DH's parents a hamper containing things with Golden in their name Golden Syrup, Gold Blend Tea, Gold blend coffee etc.

Chameleon007 Fri 10-Jul-20 08:41:05

For our friends Golden anniversary I made them a celebration cake. This came about because when I baked we would take slices of cake or few biscuits for them to eat. One day we took some fruit cake and they said how much they'd enjoyed it so I told them I would make them their anniversary cake.

justanovice Fri 10-Jul-20 08:45:16

I know that it's tradition to give gold but do consider the personal preference of the people concerned. They may hate having a large yellow plant or object wished upon them.

Thecatshatontgemat Fri 10-Jul-20 08:52:48

As others have suggested, a beautiful rose bush to plant (with or without a container) and a bottle of good quality booze to go with it would be lovely.
The only other suggestion is, that as they are getting garden furniture, so clearly enjoy their garden, how about a neat little log burner to use in the summer evenings with some pretty little self charging lights to dot around? (that's assuming they will actually be able to fire it up, or have someone to do that for them when they have a family get together)

MawB Fri 10-Jul-20 09:02:47

H^ow about a neat little log burner to use in the summer evenings with some pretty little self charging lights to dot around? (that's assuming they will actually be able to fire it up, or have someone to do that for them when they have a family get together)^

Erm, are you suggesting anybody married in 1970 is incapable of lighting a log burner/firing up the barbecue/ stringing up some solar powered lights?
confusedconfusedconfused
I married in 1970, and ai must remember to ask à young relative to crochet me a pastel peach bed jacket or crinoline lady pension book cover. ?

Ffion63 Fri 10-Jul-20 09:16:29

Our friends recently celebrated their 50th. We bought them an afternoon tea tray from Regency Hampers. They love going out for teas and coffee which they couldn’t do because of lockdown. The tray had cakes, scones, biscuits etc on it and lasted for several days.

jaylucy Fri 10-Jul-20 09:16:56

I was going to suggest the rose bush - or in fact there are many shrubs and plants with a a golden theme.
What about a years worth of flowers? You can arrange for a 12 month subscription for either arrangements to be delivered each month or for flowers to be delivered through the post. I have had some from Bloom& Wild from my son - they look as if they are nearly dead when they arrive but after a couple of hours in water, they are transformed!
If they enjoy cake, you can even take out a subscription to have cake delivered each month.
Audio books? You can even take out a subscription for those !

Glenfinnan Fri 10-Jul-20 09:19:00

Thank you all for your lovely ideas! Might do a combination of golden hamper items and golden rose!

Anrol Fri 10-Jul-20 09:24:28

When it was my parents 50th I bought lots of small things “gold” things and put them in a gold box, wrapped in gold tissue. I bought things like: Gold coffee; Gold butter (put in at the last minute!); chocolate bar wrapped in gold; golden toffee sweets; a notelet set in gold wrapping; tissues with gold coins printed in them, etc, etc, you get the idea, anything I could find with golden written on it or wrapped in gold. It was fun to collect bits and pieces and parents were thrilled.

GinJeannie Fri 10-Jul-20 09:29:11

Totally agree with Anrol....maybe a whicker type basket of luxury goodies in gold wrapping? Starting with a box of Terry’s All Gold chocolates?

Purpledaffodil Fri 10-Jul-20 09:35:41

It was ours in April. Asked children for a Golden anniversary rose bush each. Coincidentally my bridesmaid of 50 years ago also sent one. So now I have a special rose border which looks pretty and never needs dusting ?